Re: More stuff available now!

    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 1999
      I'm planning to do some work on the FEMA Federal Support Center near Olney,
      MD, which is home to the Alternate National Warning Center. I'll let you
      know what I'm able to find out.

      ...Albert

      Message text written by INTERNET:coldwarcomms@onelist.com
      >Now... anyone have anything about NAWAS? I've only been able to find one
      or two pages that are kinda vague about it... one of them was from the
      www.fas.org site.
      -<
    • wtroskey
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 26, 2012
        NAWAS was a constant presence during the first 27 years of my current occupation. We moved to a new location 2 years ago & NAWAS did not follow.

        Every 8 hours or so, the Nat'l Warning Center would activate the conference tone warble, & conduct a roll call of the state warning points. Being in Michigan, we only heard states east of the Mississippi. Sometimes they would hand the roll call off to the ANWC at Olney & they would conduct the roll call; other times they would roll call the Regional Warning Centers & they would call the roll of their region's states. After that, the state warning points, by stepping on a foot pedal, would terminate the national circuit, & conduct their roll calls. The local warning points were mostly at state police posts, but some (like ours) were at central 911 centers. Every 30 days, there would be an "extended" test, and we would have to activate pagers for the local Emergency Managers & the alert monitor network.

        (deedle, deedle, deedle, deedle, deedle...)
        "This is the FEMA National Warning Center with a Test...Civil Defense Network test. Repeating - test...Civil Defense Network test. Stations stand by for roll call...."

        As long as we didn't hear "This is the FEMA National Warning Center with an Attack Warning....", we could breath normally.

        I kinda miss that.

        Bill Troskey

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP" <kf4lhp@... wrote:

        > Now... anyone have anything about NAWAS? I've only been able to find one
        > or two pages that are kinda vague about it... one of them was from the
        > www.fas.org site.
        > --
        > Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
        > Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...

      • John K Scoggin, Jr
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 26, 2012
          I had a NAWAS drop on my desk (Delaware Alternate warning point) in the
          State EOC, which at the time was in a refurbished coastal artillery bunker
          (we had the generators in the old mortar pits!). Eight feet of concrete and
          twenty-four feet of earth overhead. Das Bunker!

          I was the state's Deputy Ops Officer and a volunteer at that (worked
          fulltime for power utility). I was sitting at my desk on a day off,
          studying for an upcoming national security exercise when all HELL broke out
          on the NAWAS. Lots of unfamiliar code words. A quick look at the TV and
          here Pres Reagan had been shot. We had lots of company in Ops wondering if
          this was the start of something really unpleasant. Made sure that we had
          connectivity to our primary EBS entry points.

          john

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>
          , "Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP" <kf4lhp@... <mailto:kf4lhp%40xxx.xxxx>

        • COURYHOUSE@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 26, 2012
            Sort of away from topic but along the lines of warnings - - I great
            up across from LA 55 Radar site at the top of the hill in Palos Verdes
            Calif - there was an alert siren there thankfully mostly for practice
            practice... but during the Cuban missile crisis it really was a
            little edgy and later during other incidents...

            A great group of guys worked there... at any time I would wander over
            to the gate as a little kid with a project I was working on and the
            folks that worked on the com and radar and generators would take time to
            advise me, help me straighten something out.. or just shoot the bull with
            me. Dave Fairchild, who worked at the generator building was the greatest
            as electronics was his passion and he would scrounge and fill up his
            station wagon full of stuff sometimes and share some of it! ..

            It used to be when O would get off the school bus and look across
            Crenshaw and down the access road if I did not see much light though Fir
            child's car I knew there was an abundance of stuff and to go over there before
            hitting the house for milk and cookies!

            Good people all of them... many not here any more....

            Ed _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org)

            ....... In a message dated 8/26/2012 5:59:51 P.M. US Mountain Standard
            Time, wftroskey@... writes:

[...]

            Sort of as

          • Marc's Yahoo Account (original)
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 28, 2012
              Would that have been at Fort Miles?

              Sent from my iPad

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 28, 2012
                No, the old EOC was in what was (at the time) Governor Bacon Health Center – in coastal artillery days, it was Fort DuPont

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_DuPont

                Some of the old signs are still there I think, but I would imagine it is in pretty bad shape inside. Without dehumidification, it was a real mildew farm. Last time I was down there (last year), some of the old poles for the antennas were still standing. I’m kind of sorry that I didn’t get any pictures while it was still in use.

                One day when I was at my desk down there working on an update to the RADEF plan (and on the telephone), the antenna farm on top pf the bunker took a direct lightning hit. We lost almost every radio EXCEPT the CD low-band VHF base station, EBS auxiliary transmitter and the HF radio in the EMP enclosure. The enclosure did its job… we could still blow the CD sirens if we had to. We blew the fuses on all of the 1A2 key system power supplies, which I bandaided with some cross-connect wire (and they worked!). Good ole Western Electric.

                john

                > I had a NAWAS drop on my desk (Delaware Alternate warning point) in the
                > State EOC, which at the time was in a refurbished coastal artillery bunker
                > (we had the generators in the old mortar pits!). Eight feet of concrete and
                > twenty-four feet of earth overhead. Das Bunker!
                >
                > I was the state's Deputy Ops Officer and a volunteer at that (worked
                > fulltime for power utility). I was sitting at my desk on a day off,
                > studying for an upcoming national security exercise when all HELL broke out
                > on the NAWAS. Lots of unfamiliar code words. A quick look at the TV and
                > here Pres Reagan had been shot. We had lots of company in Ops wondering if
                > this was the start of something really unpleasant. Made sure that we had
                > connectivity to our primary EBS entry points.
                >
                > john

              • Pj
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 28, 2012
                  Couple of us have been looking for Cold War era alert sounds, such as the ones used at missle sites for EAM's, Navy, etc. Looking for the one that could be heard in the USAF video featured in first strike/The Day after etc.

                  Google/Yahoo searches are not bringing up anything good.
                • arkyjoe123
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 28, 2012
                    Try this

                    http://www.missileforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=70&start=30

                    There are a couple links there.

                    73, JOE W4YOI

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@...> wrote:

                    > Couple of us have been looking for Cold War era alert sounds, such as the ones used at missle sites for EAM's, Navy, etc. Looking for the one that could be heard in the USAF video featured in first strike/The Day after etc.
                    >
                    > Google/Yahoo searches are not bringing up anything good.

                  • james kester
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 29, 2012
                      This is very very kool!!!