Re: [coldwarcomms] Bendix guided-missile engineering employment ad

  • Chris Ness
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2009
      On Sunday 04 January 2009 01:02:20 pm Albert LaFrance wrote:
      > A great ad from 1956:
      > Other ads in the magazine offered EEs annual salaries of $5,000-10,000,
      > depending on experience. According to the Bureau of labor Statistics CPI
      > Inflation Calculator, that's about $39-78K in 2008 dollars.

      The Bureau of labor Statistics Consumer Price Index is always skewed for
      inflation to seem low. By the figures I track, a dime in 1964 (when money
      stopped being backed by silver) was a dollar in 2000. So from 1956 to 2008
      would be higher still. So that would be at least $50K to $100K.
      --
      mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
      http://home.earthlink.net/~cness the person not doing the work.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2009
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
        <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

        > A great ad from 1956:
        > http://coldwar-c4i.net/EE-1956-03/p090A.html
        >
        > Maybe he's dreaming about buying one of these:
        > http://www.lovefords.org/56ford/ranch.htm
        >
        > Other ads in the magazine offered EEs annual salaries of $5,000-
        10,000,
        > depending on experience. According to the Bureau of labor
        Statistics CPI
        > Inflation Calculator, that's about $39-78K in 2008 dollars.
        >
        > Albert

        Speaking of recruiting, Long Lines had a tough time getting highly
        trained people in the DC/Baltimore/Philly area in the 1950's & 60's:

        The CREI(Capital Radio Engineering Institute)grads and military comms
        vets could get higher salaries from comms entities like
        Melpar,Bendix,Philco Techrep,GE,Federal Electric,Page Communication
        engineers,NSA,DCA,IT&T,Atlantic Research, etc.

        I'd guess there are some CREI grads on the list.