Re: [coldwarcomms] RE: Vulnerability of DC-area microwave links

  • long-lines@att.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2008
      Wouldn't the transmission 'of critical unencrypted Government
      telephone conversations' be a defacto lapse in security policy?
      Either they are 'critical' or they are not. If they are, you don't send
      them through a public medium (unencrypted).

      Every government capitol city is a communications and electronic
      intelligence target; everyone knows this. Amazing.

      c.

      On 30 Nov 2008 at 10:04, Albert LaFrance wrote:
      > Oops, I guess I should have included the URL:
      > http://www.ford.utexas.edu/LIBRARY/document/nsdmnssm/nsdm266a.htm
      >
      > Albert

      :
      :

    • long-lines@att.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2008
        This one sounds like the "birth certificate" of the Clipper chip ...

        On 30 Nov 2008 at 10:22, Albert LaFrance wrote:

        > And another (2 pages) from 1975:
        > http://www.ford.utexas.edu/LIBRARY/document/nsdmnssm/nsdm296a.htm
        >
        > Albert

        :
        :
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2008
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, long-lines@... wrote:

          > Wouldn't the transmission 'of critical unencrypted Government
          > telephone conversations' be a defacto lapse in security policy?
          > Either they are 'critical' or they are not. If they are, you don't
          send
          > them through a public medium (unencrypted).
          >
          > Every government capitol city is a communications and electronic
          > intelligence target; everyone knows this. Amazing.

          Apparently the WW2 slogan "Loose Lips Sink Ships" was often forgotten
          during the Cold War.