Jasper, Alabama GEP

  • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18, 1999
      Is anyone aware of a GEP station or other AT&T Facility in the vicinity of
      Jasper, Alabama?

      George
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18, 1999
        George,

        Just did a quick search - found an AT&T station called Jasper at N33-47-48,
        W87-20-32, in Walker County, AL. Callsigns KRS91 (canceled) and
        WLR451(active as of 3/98). Both talk to "Graysville 2".

        KRS91 is owned by "AT&T Corp". In my experience, this name (as opposed to
        AT&T Communications of ...) is sometimes associated with stations having a
        national-security role, so it's worth checking out. WLR451 is owned by -
        believe it or not - "AT&T Communications of the South Central States".

        Also, note that Monticello is in Jasper County.

        I'll double-check all of this and post anything else I can find when I have
        some time this evening.

        ...Albert

        Message text written by INTERNET:coldwarcomms@onelist.com
        >Is anyone aware of a GEP station or other AT&T Facility in the vicinity of
        >Jasper, Alabama?
      • Dave Emery
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 18, 1999
          On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 02:52:46PM -0500, CLDWARHIST@... wrote:
          > From: CLDWARHIST@...
          >
          > Is anyone aware of a GEP station or other AT&T Facility in the vicinity of
          > Jasper, Alabama?
          >
          > George

          Yes, there is a GEP there.... has been for some time...

          --
          Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
          PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18, 1999
            Underground AT&T site?

            Noted Jasper is close to Birmingham. Would fit the pattern of sites a safe
            distance from large target cities.

            Any military bases near B'Ham?

            At 05:26 PM 03/18/1999 -0500, you wrote:
            >From: Dave Emery <die@...>
            >
            >On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 02:52:46PM -0500, CLDWARHIST@... wrote:
            >> From: CLDWARHIST@...
            >>
            >> Is anyone aware of a GEP station or other AT&T Facility in the vicinity of
            >> Jasper, Alabama?
            >>
            >> George
            >
            > Yes, there is a GEP there.... has been for some time...
            >--
            > Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
            >PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88
            C3 18
          • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 1999
              John Warne wrote:

              > From: John Warne <warnejw@...>
              >
              > Underground AT&T site?
              >
              > Noted Jasper is close to Birmingham. Would fit the pattern of sites a safe
              > distance from large target cities.
              >
              > Any military bases near B'Ham?

              Only military installation near there is up in Huntsville at the
              Redstone Arsenal, but there may be a USAF base somewhere nearby (think
              there is but it may have been closed).

              Also to John: there is an MCI microwave site and an Equatorial
              Communications Services microwave site in Jasper County, GA
              (Monticello). ECS has had echo/foxtrot sites on some of their towers, so
              it may be worth checking out. Here's the coordinates on each:

              MCI: 33-24-58 N, 83-47-57 W
              ECS: 33-18-13 N, 83-41-09 W

              --
              Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
              Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 18, 1999
                In a message dated 3/18/99 5:39:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                warnejw@... writes:

                << Any military bases near B'Ham?

                -Ft McClellan and other US Army facilities in Anniston, AL are about 50 miles
                to the east
                -Unmarked reservation 20-30 miles to the southeast. Their is a marker in it
                saying "ABACOOCHE" but I think that may of been an old town?
                -Birmingham IAP has an Air National Guard flying unit

                And now for something of much more interest:
                Albert noted that Jasper GEP talked to "GRAYSVILLE 2". Well about half way
                between Jasper and Birmingham is a town called GRAYSVILLE. And theirs lots of
                mines in this town (grim place, eh?) but anyways their is a US RESERVATION
                marked between Coal Creek and Flat TOp mines, approx. 2 miles northeast of
                Graysville. My mapping program tends to mark Gov't production and research
                facilities as US RESERVATION, but this may be of some interest. Anyone going
                to Alabama soon?? Coordinates are:
                N33� 38.54'
                W86� 59.44' and maybe 15 miles northwest of the center of Birmingham?

                George
              • John Warne
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 18, 1999
                  I asked my tourguide at Ellisville if they still had an Autovon switch. He
                  said it was taken out when MCI got the contract.

                  So, the MCI site needs to be added to my list , along with the ECS.

                  Thanks for the coordinates. I'll program them in to my Delome Street Atlas
                  for the GPS receiver.