Re: Rowlesburg,WV relocation site?

  • Mark E. Springer
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 1, 2008
      ---It is Camp Dawson - quite a place according to Global Security:
      http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/camp-dawson.htm
      de WL7BCT
    • lasertower
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 5, 2008
        more likely around fremont.

        Steve
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 27, 2009
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@...> wrote:

          > In the mid 1980's a high priority gov't voice circuit(GP) terminated
          > at Rowlesburg WV(pop 600); the circuit number was in a numbering
          > sequence associated with other circuits involving NS/EP and COG
          > functions, so I suspect there was such a facility near here.
          >
          > The only gov't activity I could find nearby is Camp Dawson in
          > Kingwood with 3 satellite tracts, one being an abandoned manganese
          > mine! See:
          >
          > http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/camp-dawson.htm
          >
          > The nearest college campus is 15+ miles away so that's unlikely.
          >
          > The AT&T Williamstown-Monrovia cable is in the vicinity, as well as
          > the Etam Earth Station 8-10 miles away but probably unrelated.
          >
          > While Camp Dawson seems likely I would have thought the circuit
          > terminal would be Kingwood unless one of the other three areas is
          > closer to Rowlesburg.
          >
          > Anyone have any info?

          An update..I've learned from a reliable source this circuit was data, established in the mid 1980's from Mt. Weather; also I had forgotten about Rowlesburg R, the 1st repeater out of Etam ES; so there's a possibility this station was involved as a safe house or an alternate route into Etam or elsewhere via portable FM & mux gear.
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 15, 2010
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@...> wrote:

            > In the mid 1980's a high priority gov't voice circuit(GP) terminated
            > at Rowlesburg WV(pop 600); the circuit number was in a numbering
            > sequence associated with other circuits involving NS/EP and COG
            > functions, so I suspect there was such a facility near here.
            >
            > The only gov't activity I could find nearby is Camp Dawson in
            > Kingwood with 3 satellite tracts, one being an abandoned manganese
            > mine! See:
            >
            > http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/camp-dawson.htm
            >
            > The nearest college campus is 15+ miles away so that's unlikely.
            >
            > The AT&T Williamstown-Monrovia cable is in the vicinity, as well as
            > the Etam Earth Station 8-10 miles away but probably unrelated.
            >
            > While Camp Dawson seems likely I would have thought the circuit
            > terminal would be Kingwood unless one of the other three areas is
            > closer to Rowlesburg.
            >
            > Anyone have any info?

            I have found another Cold War connection to Camp Dawson: the 1956 FCDA annual report shows Camp Dawson as a Civil Defense stockpile location for engineering supplies(gen sets,pipes,water purification,etc); other stockpile locations in the region were Lorton,Va, Williamsburg,Va(probably Camp Peary), Richmond,Va, Camp Pickett,Va, Baltimore,Mechanicsburg,Pa.

            BTW the annual reports of FCDA(in the 1950's), and it's successor agencies have a lot of info on topics posted here; over the years Mt Weather was referred to as: a secure location near Washington; a classified location, The classified location,alternate HQ.

            These annual reports may be seen/downloaded at:

            http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/edu/highref.asp

            There is no mention of the conspiracy crowd's claim that Camp Dawson was one of FEMA's "concentration camps":)

            One further item on Rowlesburg R: photo's of the interior at American Tower's site show remnants of VF terminal equipment which could have been associated with the priority gov't circuit at Rowlesburg, although it may have been just for the orderwire/alarm.
          • Blake Bowers
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 15, 2010
              I don't know if there is any connection, but 4 miles outside of
              Rowlesburg was Laurel Mountain AT&T site, which had a recieve site for Etam
              located there in the second building.

              Pictures are at

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/sets/72157623178551255/
              Don't take your organs to heaven,
              heaven knows we need them down here!

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 15, 2010
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...> wrote:

                > I don't know if there is any connection, but 4 miles outside of
                > Rowlesburg was Laurel Mountain AT&T site, which had a recieve site for Etam
                > located there in the second building.
                >
                > Pictures are at
                >
                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/sets/72157623178551255/

                I believe this is aka Rowlesburg on route maps; 1st repeater out of Etam.
              • lasertower
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 15, 2010
                  Take a good look at the rest stops along the highways near there :-)

                  Find the hill with the concrete tropo dish near the rest stop.

                  Saw it late one evening about 10 years ago.

                  Steve
                • Blake Bowers
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 15, 2010
                    Nope. Well, it is, but not by the name Rowlesburg. Rowlesburg is located
                    NE of the town at

                    Latitude: 39 - 25 - 11.0 N 39.41972
                    Longitude: 79 - 37 - 26.0 W -79.6238

                    http://www.americantower.com/OASISPublic/SitePublicPage/SiteBrochure.asp?lngSiteDevelopmentId=&lngSearchRingID=&lngColocationId=&lngBusinessFunctionID=&lngProjectID=&lngSiteID=755&lngTowerID=-1&lngProjectSubTypeId=

                    Laurel Mountain is SW of the town of Rowlesburg at 39-17-31 79-46-03

                    http://www.americantower.com/OASISPublic/SitePublicPage/SiteBrochure.asp?lngSiteID=751&lngTowerID=-1&txtCaption=Brochure

                    Laurel Mountain had two buildings, one that was the reciever building for
                    the
                    big dish, and then the long lines building for the microwave path about 2
                    miles
                    away to Etam.

                    It is also chronicled here,

                    http://www.long-lines.net/places-routes/Laurel_Mtn_WV/index.html

                    Here is a map showing it named Etam R, it was on later maps
                    called Laurel Mountain.

                    http://www.long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html

                    Now, this was in fact, the first repeater out of Etam, but
                    it was between Etam and Rowlesburg. It gave the elevation
                    to the link, it would not work in the valley that Etam sits in.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 16, 2010
                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...> wrote:

                      > Nope. Well, it is, but not by the name Rowlesburg. Rowlesburg is located
                      > NE of the town at
                      >
                      > Latitude: 39 - 25 - 11.0 N 39.41972
                      > Longitude: 79 - 37 - 26.0 W -79.6238
                      >

                      > http://www.americantower.com/OASISPublic/SitePublicPage/SiteBrochure.asp?lngSiteDevelopmentId=&lngSearchRingID=&lngColocationId=&lngBusinessFunctionID=&lngProjectID=&lngSiteID=755&lngTowerID=-1&lngProjectSubTypeId=
                      >
                      > Laurel Mountain is SW of the town of Rowlesburg at 39-17-31 79-46-03
                      >
                      > http://www.americantower.com/OASISPublic/SitePublicPage/SiteBrochure.asp?lngSiteID=751&lngTowerID=-1&txtCaption=Brochure
                      >
                      > Laurel Mountain had two buildings, one that was the reciever building for
                      > the
                      > big dish, and then the long lines building for the microwave path about 2
                      > miles
                      > away to Etam.
                      >
                      > It is also chronicled here,
                      >
                      > http://www.long-lines.net/places-routes/Laurel_Mtn_WV/index.html
                      >
                      > Here is a map showing it named Etam R, it was on later maps
                      > called Laurel Mountain.
                      >
                      > http://www.long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html
                      >
                      > Now, this was in fact, the first repeater out of Etam, but
                      > it was between Etam and Rowlesburg. It gave the elevation
                      > to the link, it would not work in the valley that Etam sits in.

                      Interesting, a 1972 map shows Laurel Mt(talking to Arthurdale) and Etam R; with Etam R also shooting N to Rowlesburg(talking to Valley Pt); anyway the station with the possible Camp Dawson connection is Rowlesburg.
                    • taskforceleader
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 16, 2010
                        Some thoughts on American Tower photos:

                        - What is the designation/type of tower at these sites. Up here in New England they are typically erected at sites that were owned by the Regional Bell Company. They always have the interested rings on the top. Most but not all the time I have found them at sites that had routes with military significance.

                        - What's with the wood siding over concrete. Fairly common at many sites. I can understand making the site look more urban friendly but why out in the middle of nowhere?

                        - Notice the little UHF folded dipole on the top of the tower? Route maintenance LMR? If so why not a little gain?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 16, 2010
                          In Ohio and PA I've observed that type tower at minor sites, Ie the Akron relay to downtown Canton, and in PA at several places where a rural switch needs linked back to a major CO. Usually where just one smaller dish needs supported.

                          Steve
                        • John Young
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 16, 2010
                            The wood siding over concrete intended to cloak the " concrete bunker"
                            which originally intended to convey fortress-lie protection but came to
                            invite curiosity due to the heavy advertising of fortresses as stronger
                            than they actually are therefore attractive to nosebodies.

                            The ones in the countryside became favorites for buffs to sniff, probe,
                            photograph, confect theories, swap stories. Not much fun doing that
                            about a plain old wooden shed (POWS) unless you were in the
                            business of lying and spying.

                            Spying the appurtenances of above- and below-ground facilities and
                            trying to read the quasi-hidden signals they provided is a long-time
                            spy game for professionals and amateurs -- the Sphinx along with
                            the Trojan Horse.

                            Fakes have become a secondary spy game, as false flags, disinfo,
                            tall tales about secret facilities, deliberately "weak" comsec, faulty
                            crypto, disguise, impersonation, even, oh my, Chinese cyber attacks
                            following in the trail of, well, name the day's usual suspects, as the
                            Chinese yell about their cyber enemies while experts know that
                            most threats come from the insider eager to set fires for fireman
                            to fight.

                            In that spirit, here's recently posted pro-am fire-bell of Chinese offensive
                            missile sites based on Google-spied appurtenances (which of the
                            sites are authentic (or faked by Google) and which fake (or realized
                            by Google's contractee) remains a mystery wrapped in stir-fried):

                            <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=113906739083729317497.00047f57f7d29e7098744>

                            I guess there is no phrase more embedded in telecomm culture
                            than the one about what cannot be talked about -- well, except
                            by nudges, eye-rolls, and quite rewarding military surplus contracts.
                          • Blake Bowers
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 16, 2010
                              I don't know about that. I think it was more a layer of insulation - as
                              many of the sites we own or have owned have them on the prevailing
                              wind side of the buildings, but not all sides.

                              Many of the sites have multiple buildings, with only one having some
                              siding.

                              Don't take your organs to heaven,
                              heaven knows we need them down here!

                              > The wood siding over concrete intended to cloak the " concrete bunker"
                              > which originally intended to convey fortress-lie protection but came to
                              > invite curiosity due to the heavy advertising of fortresses as stronger
                              > than they actually are therefore attractive to nosebodies.
                              >
                              > The ones in the countryside became favorites for buffs to sniff, probe,
                              > photograph, confect theories, swap stories. Not much fun doing that
                              > about a plain old wooden shed (POWS) unless you were in the
                              > business of lying and spying.
                              >
                              > Spying the appurtenances of above- and below-ground facilities and
                              > trying to read the quasi-hidden signals they provided is a long-time
                              > spy game for professionals and amateurs -- the Sphinx along with
                              > the Trojan Horse.
                              >
                              > Fakes have become a secondary spy game, as false flags, disinfo,
                              > tall tales about secret facilities, deliberately "weak" comsec, faulty
                              > crypto, disguise, impersonation, even, oh my, Chinese cyber attacks
                              > following in the trail of, well, name the day's usual suspects, as the
                              > Chinese yell about their cyber enemies while experts know that
                              > most threats come from the insider eager to set fires for fireman
                              > to fight.
                              >
                              > In that spirit, here's recently posted pro-am fire-bell of Chinese
                              > offensive
                              > missile sites based on Google-spied appurtenances (which of the
                              > sites are authentic (or faked by Google) and which fake (or realized
                              > by Google's contractee) remains a mystery wrapped in stir-fried):
                              >
                              > <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=113906739083729317497.00047f57f7d29e7098744>
                              >
                              > I guess there is no phrase more embedded in telecomm culture
                              > than the one about what cannot be talked about -- well, except
                              > by nudges, eye-rolls, and quite rewarding military surplus contracts.

                            • Tom Scanlan
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 7 6:19 PM
                                While traveling north on US385/US287 to Lamar, CO I noticed there were huts spaced, as I recall, about every 9 miles, as well as some larger buildings, mostly brick. I stopped at one of the huts and it was locked, but abandoned. The power was cut off, meter gone, and pigtails snipped at the power pole. There was an underground vault, but the access doors were unmovable. I remember there was an autovon coax route going up to NORAD in Colorado Springs back several decades ago. Can anyone remember what this route was? There were also many of the small marker signs on little poles, indicating what appeared to be cable routes.

                                Thanks.....

                                Tom Scanlan

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 7 7:08 PM
                                  Traveling to Sigsbee Area, Key West NAS, I decided to see if I could find the four towers of Radio Marti. I had previously thought the three towers in Marathon were those of Radio Marti, but a member of this website advised there were four towers, not three. The three tower array are those of a local Marathon AM station, on 1300 KHz.

                                  At Cudjoe Key, home of arrostat Fat Albert, I saw what appeared to be four AM towers, adjacent to an assortment of other towers, including a huge log periodic and a few other structures, and Fat Albert on the ground.

                                  Scanned all AM frequencies and picked up strong signal on AM 1180, and although not at all fluent in Spanish, did hear several ID's as being "Radio Marti, Estados Unitas"/

                                  Then once settled in at Key West, I went online to the FCC website and checked 1180 KHz in Florida. ONLY reference was to a mew 1Kw station in Pace, FL. Last I remember Pace is in the Panhandle.

                                  H'mmmm.........a government authorized AM blowtorch reaching Cuba, yet not in the FCC database? Verrrrry interesting!

                                  Tom Scanlan

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 7 7:55 PM
                                    The FCC database need not list USG licenses;
                                    those are all NTIA's responsibility.
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 7 8:04 PM
                                    • Ray_Vaughan_99
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 7 8:05 PM
                                        Like all Federal transmitters, I suspect it would be regulated by the NTIA, not the FCC. There is (was?) TV Marti. A channel 13 transmitted from a blimp at night, when power is often off in Cuba. I did a report on it years ago. I remember the now closed FCC office in Miami would constantly monitor the signal level on channel 13 to log when it pointed too far north and caused interference to US stations.

                                        Radio and TV Marti are little discussed since most Americans don't want to know just how much propaganda we do. It's actually illegal to record or retransmit anything on those stations.

                                        Ironically, the stations that piss off Cuba are the Miami AM Spanish stations that have commercials that say not only is there bread today, it's on SALE. Radio Rejol is Cuba's attempt to jam the US stations. I don't think they think Radio Marti is worth jamming.

                                        Ray

                                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...> wrote:

                                        > Traveling to Sigsbee Area, Key West NAS, I decided to see if I could find the four towers of Radio Marti. I had previously thought the three towers in Marathon were those of Radio Marti, but a member of this website advised there were four towers, not three. The three tower array are those of a local Marathon AM station, on 1300 KHz.
                                        >

                                        > At Cudjoe Key, home of arrostat Fat Albert, I saw what appeared to be four AM towers, adjacent to an assortment of other towers, including a huge log periodic and a few other structures, and Fat Albert on the ground.
                                        >

                                        > Scanned all AM frequencies and picked up strong signal on AM 1180, and although not at all fluent in Spanish, did hear several ID's as being "Radio Marti, Estados Unitas"/
                                        >

                                        > Then once settled in at Key West, I went online to the FCC website and checked 1180 KHz in Florida. ONLY reference was to a mew 1Kw station in Pace, FL. Last I remember Pace is in the Panhandle.
                                        >

                                        > H'mmmm.........a government authorized AM blowtorch reaching Cuba, yet not in the FCC database? Verrrrry interesting!
                                        >

                                        > Tom Scanlan

                                      • Sheldon Daitch
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 8 3:43 AM
                                          "It's actually illegal to record or retransmit anything on those stations."

                                          Really?  How do you figure that?

                                          If the information at this Wikipedia link is correct:

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_y_Televisi%C3%B3n_Mart%C3%AD

                                          Radio Marti is or was being rebroadcast by a Miami station.  Yes, the
                                          article is incorrect, since Delano is no longer an operational transmitting
                                          facility.

                                          It may be that WAQI is still running the Radio Marti program, based on
                                          a quick Google search on:

                                            WAQI Radio Marti

                                          The Smith-Mundt Act does control the dissemination of material
                                          produced by the Voice of America and other related BBG programming,
                                          however, in a nut shell Smith-Mundt prohibits the USG to "broadcast"
                                          to the US, but does not prohibit someone from recording BBG
                                          programming.

                                          73
                                          Sheldon