Re: [C/O X-Bar] Southern California Telephone Company Coax

  • long-lines@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      On 29 Aug 2008 at 23:55, Steve Cichorsky wrote:

      > Here is a link to a 1946 article that some may find of interest
      > regarding the first transcontinental coaxial telephone cable that
      > concerns the portion installed by the Southern California Telephone
      > Company a.k.a., Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company.
      >
      > <http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/114/01/Thomas.pdf>

      Steve, thank you for sharing this document. I've been studing it quite closely. It ties
      in with some research I did a couple years back quite closely.

      Does anyone have a location for the Whitewater "main station"?

      I find it quite amazing that in 1946 (the war was hardly over, and the boon of the 50's
      hadn't even begun) that they had conduit (duct banks) that extended over 100 miles
      out of LA !

      I am also a little surprised that it appears that San Bernardino seems to have little to
      no role in this route other than perhaps being one of the 32 buildings between Los
      Angles and the Colorado River. Of the 32 buildings, according to the article, one was
      the LA terminal (leaving 31), 27 were repeater huts and maybe Blythe (leaving either
      3 or 4 depending on whether you include Blythe); and then there is mention of
      Banning, San Bernardino and El Monte (which might very well be the 3). If the 27
      includes Blythe then the 1 left I would think would have to be Whitewater; there is no
      mention of construction, only the existence of the Whitewater "switching main
      station". If the 27 doesn't include Blythe then there is something wrong with the
      math, the article and/or my assumptions of the "3". At any rate there still doesn't
      sound like there were any L carrier facilities on this route in San Bernardino other
      than perhaps amplifiers atleast in the initial stages of the project (not to say there
      were some future projections that weren't mentioned in the article).

      I would love to have a location (street address, lat/lon, whatever) for this first L carrier
      station east of Los Angles if someone's got it. Thanks!

      c.

      p.s. Whitewater is listed in the 1982 Long Lines ICD as (714) 325-5160 (but is
      dropped as of 1985). There have been a number of area code splits, starting in
      November 1982. It appears that Whitewater is right on the 951/760 split line. In
      1982 the AT&T facility was apparently served from the Palm Springs
      PLSPCAXG32G switch; this switch has the 325 office code in area code 760.
      Banning and Cabazon next door are in area code 951, but office code 325 is Hemet-
      Homeeland in 951, which is significantly south of the route.