Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 2871

  • Doug Humphrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2008

      > 1a. Re: Operating a former microwave facility
      > Posted by: "james kester" radioconstco@... radioconstco
      > Date: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 pm ((PDT))
      >
      > My point was that it's very interesting to me how much AT&T (us-
      > taxpayers) invested
      > in the cold war infrastructure, only to have it sold off for
      > farthings on the dollar.

      no matter what was spent on them, they are only worth what
      someone will pay for them - trust me, I love old and cool things
      that have great value to ME and not a lot to others, so I do
      understand this!

      the main issue is that much cold war stuff (huge hardened holes
      in the ground, etc) are very expensive to build, and don't have
      very many "alternate uses" so there are not a lot of people who
      will pay much for them.

      I toured an Atlas I launch complex that was for sale once, took
      a whole day to see all of it (and we saw no where near *all* in
      that we only went into one launch silo of the three) and it was
      like a small town underground - spectacular! fantastic!

      but, once I had to justify to my wife my desire to lay out some
      serious cash for it? well, the reality is that there are not many
      things you can actually do with it......

      sad but true.
      doug