Re: [coldwarcomms] Operating a former microwave facility

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 22, 2008
      People buy them for many business or personal reasons.

      The main reason is you have a facility that was built like a brick
      sh#thouse already on the location.

      -Jake

      "A gentleman is someone who always tries to make sure the people
      around him are as comfortable as possible."

      "Sometimes when I talk to a Windows person about using a Mac, I feel
      like I'm explaining Van Halen to a horse." Merlin Mann

      On Sep 21, 2008, at 6:49 PM, james kester wrote:

      > Why?
      > I've built many of them and can't help wondering why people buy
      > these things?

    • Mike Cowen
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 22, 2008
        ROFL! Yeah, they've already got the lights on them!

        At 11:07 PM 9/21/2008, you wrote:

        >On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Michael Bender wrote:
        > > THis whole idea of buying old AT&T facilities is really neat - what do
        > > people do with them?
        >
        >Cover them in green fringe and make 200 ft Christmas trees, what else?
        >
        >--
        >Kris Kirby, KE4AHR <<mailto:kris%40catonic.us>kris@...>
        >But remember, with no superpowers comes no responsibility.
        >--rly

      • jhaynesatalumni
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 22, 2008
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Kris Kirby <kris@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Michael Bender wrote:
          > > THis whole idea of buying old AT&T facilities is really neat -
          what do
          > > people do with them?
          >
          > Cover them in green fringe and make 200 ft Christmas trees, what else?
          >
          > --
          Well in these parts people were objecting to having a cell phone
          tower in their neighborhood, so the cell phone company put in one
          disguised as a pine tree. Except it doesn't look like any kind of
          pine tree that grows around here - maybe something from the High
          Sierra. So it looks ridiculous, compared with a plain cell tower.
          I don't think they will be putting in any more of those around here.
        • David Lesher
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 22, 2008

            > Well, that's a reasonable enough reason, and I can certainly understand the whole
            > rental thing. But, the structures, A through H are mostly 70 psi design designation.
            >
            > Very expensive to add structural supports to them. I should know, my company, among others,
            > designed, fabricated & installed thousands of modifications to them.

            Albert showed me what appeared to be bolted-on upgrades to
            Garden City's tower legs; almost visible:

            <http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/GardenCity/IMG_1828>
            <http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/GardenCity/IMG_1842>

            Is that the kind of modifications you deployed?

          • james kester
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 22, 2008
              Well, that's a reasonable enough reason, and I can certainly understand the whole
              rental thing. But, the structures, A through H are mostly 70 psi design designation.

              Very expensive to add structural supports to them. I should know, my company, among others, designed, fabricated & installed thousands of modifications to them.
              Technically, additions of any kind to these structures can be quite detrimental
              to the overall structures integrity, depending on the loading.

              Interesting. I always just bid them to scrap. However, the dismantling & transportation usually exceeded the net return. That may have changed a bit lately
              though.

              Some of the specialty metals had some ornate value. But, even their material handling
              costs were negligible.

              Thanks,

              jrk

              People buy them for many business or personal reasons.

              The main reason is you have a facility that was built like a brick

              sh#thouse already on the location.

              -Jake

              "A gentleman is someone who always tries to make sure the people

              around him are as comfortable as possible."

              "Sometimes when I talk to a Windows person about using a Mac, I feel

              like I'm explaining Van Halen to a horse." Merlin Mann

              On Sep 21, 2008, at 6:49 PM, james kester wrote:

              > Why?

              > I've built many of them and can't help wondering why people buy

              > these things?

            • Mike Cowen
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 22, 2008
                I've seen some pretty hokey camouflaged sites before. Who ever saw
                an arrow straight, perfectly symmetrical, flawlessly manicured pine
                tree? Mother Mature doesn't make that model.

                Though their web site is having some issues, Larson Camouflage has
                become quite skilled at developing stealth
                towers. http://www.utilitycamo.com/index.html I've seen one of the
                Saguaro cactus towers in Fountain Hills, AZ (near me), and it blended
                in very well. It nearly fooled me, and most observers would never
                notice it at all.

                The ones that really have me laughing my a$$ off are the NIMBYs who
                will viciously block any tower, but just love that new church steeple
                that was donated (and pays the church $1200/mo.). Some people...

                Most of my friends think I'm weird for actively looking for
                infrastructure elements. I know I'm in good company here... :-)

                Mike

                At 09:57 AM 9/22/2008, you wrote:

                >--- In
                ><mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com,
                >Kris Kirby <kris@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Michael Bender wrote:
                > > > THis whole idea of buying old AT&T facilities is really neat -
                >what do
                > > > people do with them?
                > >
                > > Cover them in green fringe and make 200 ft Christmas trees, what else?
                > >
                > > --
                >Well in these parts people were objecting to having a cell phone
                >tower in their neighborhood, so the cell phone company put in one
                >disguised as a pine tree. Except it doesn't look like any kind of
                >pine tree that grows around here - maybe something from the High
                >Sierra. So it looks ridiculous, compared with a plain cell tower.
                >I don't think they will be putting in any more of those around here.

              • Spencer
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 22, 2008
                  People, We're talking MICROWAVE TOWERS, not cell sites.

                  "Reach out and touch someone"
                  at&t your world delivered

                  At 09:57 AM 9/22/2008, you wrote:

                  >--- In
                  ><mailto:coldwarcom ms%40yahoogroups .com>coldwarcomms@ yahoogroups. com,
                  >Kris Kirby <kris@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Michael Bender wrote:
                  > > > THis whole idea of buying old AT&T facilities is really neat -
                  >what do
                  > > > people do with them?
                  > >
                  > > Cover them in green fringe and make 200 ft Christmas trees, what else?
                  > >
                  > > --
                  >Well in these parts people were objecting to having a cell phone
                  >tower in their neighborhood, so the cell phone company put in one
                  >disguised as a pine tree. Except it doesn't look like any kind of
                  >pine tree that grows around here - maybe something from the High
                  >Sierra. So it looks ridiculous, compared with a plain cell tower.
                  >I don't think they will be putting in any more of those around here.

                  and selfless acts of beauty.
                  mcowen@mindspring. com -Anonymous

                • Mike Cowen
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 22, 2008
                    As --MANY-- MICROWAVE TOWERS are in current use as cell sites, and
                    documented within this thread that civilians don't like looking at
                    them, your specific objection to this line of commentary for means of
                    camouflaging them (which I didn't start, BTW), is precisely WHAT?

                    It's a comms tower (take your pick).
                    People don't like looking at them, regardless of how dependent they
                    are on their service.
                    How can the tower's visual aesthetics be improved for community relations?

                    Why in flying frijoles is this line of discussion SO objectionable?

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 22, 2008
                      I don't object to anything that has to do with generating revenue, especially
                      telecommunications revenue. And, certainly not being argumentative.

                      My point was that it's very interesting to me how much AT&T (us-taxpayers) invested
                      in the cold war infrastructure, only to have it sold off for farthings on the dollar.
                      Their choice, understandably, however many of the objections these folks have
                      to the tower siting industry have roots in the promises and deceptive practices that
                      are many times employed to zoning committees.

                      I live in a community where some 100-200 people attended a public hearing on a new
                      500' tower. The council went for a vote at the last hearing, and 199 voted the zoning variance
                      down because of their objections. After the vote, council convened, and returned an
                      approval!

                      An alternate proposal would have provided for a site location, brand new building, among other advantages, and existing utilities, that was already built and paid for by the taxpayers.
                      It was an EZ-Check Emissions check station. (A program that was deployed, then at a later
                      date ruled by the legislature to be illegal?) Then they went on to sell these assets
                      to someone a 20% of it's cost to some behind the scenes buyer.
                      I had the propagation studies in hand, and the site would have been ideal.

                      Utilizing an adjacent property which had been already paid for, and built by the taxpayers
                      seemed a great alternative to building a new site! Hundreds of these "EZ-check stations"
                      had been built throughout the state already.

                      I have attended many public hearings in attempts to get towers built. I certainly applaud
                      the utilization of these facilities. But, like the electrical transmission tower business,
                      there are obstacles to overcome. And, "most" folks are amicable to their deployment,
                      after they understand how it benefits them. Some though, just want to object because
                      they want to be aholes.

                      These LL towers might actually be more useful, or profitable as windmills, or solar collectors? Who knows?

                      Sorry if I hit a nerve...

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 23, 2008
                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, james kester <radioconstco@...>
                        wrote:
                        >The council went for a vote at the last hearing, and 199 voted the
                        >zoning variance
                        > down because of their objections.

                        Would be interesting to know how many of those 199 are cell phone
                        users.
                      • David Lesher
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 23, 2008
                          Doug:

                          > I toured an Atlas I launch complex that was for sale once, took
                          > a whole day to see all of it (and we saw no where near *all* in
                          > that we only went into one launch silo of the three) and it was
                          > like a small town underground - spectacular! fantastic!
                          >
                          > but, once I had to justify to my wife my desire to lay out some
                          > serious cash for it? well, the reality is that there are not many
                          > things you can actually do with it......

                          It's defensible in the coming Dark Ages II, however.

                          Wonder if that underground house in Colorado, with the fake rocks,
                          is still on the market?

                        • Bernard D. Tremblay (ben)
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 23, 2008
                            Technical comment: because people reply at the top of messages and leave
                            the massive original just dangle (Really, how hard is it to delete?)
                            more than 2/3rds of this is just repetition.

                            At the risk of being snotty: this is 2008 ... not 1993. It's just about
                            time to get with the program.

                            bdt

                            coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                            > Re: Operating a former microwave facility
                            > Posted by: "james kester" radioconstco@... radioconstco
                            > Date: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 pm ((PDT))
                            >
                            > I don't object to anything that has to do with generating revenue, especially telecommunications revenue. And, certainly not being argumentative.
                            > [...]
                            29 screens of text deleted here

                          • Gaylon Rose
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 24, 2008
                              ...Will the FAA accept additional red ((and other color)) lights.????    :) :) :)

                              Kris Kirby, KE4AHR <kris@catonic. us>
                              But remember, with no superpowers comes no responsibility.
                              --rly

                            • Techniker der überholten Systeme : arbei
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 24, 2008
                                I believe "snotty" refers to drainage of the sinus, the behavior
                                exhibited below is currently considered SNARK~ish.

                                You really need to update your slang.

                                Jim

                                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Bernard D. Tremblay (ben)"
                                <ab006@...> wrote:

                                > At the risk of being snotty: this is 2008 ... not 1993. It's just about
                                > time to get with the program.
                                >
                                > bdt
                                >
                                > 29 screens of text deleted here
                              • paul125a
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 25, 2008
                                  When I saw the word "SNARK" in the subject field I thought, great!
                                  someone is going to talk about the Snark--the 1950s-era, proto-
                                  cruise missile that was to go from bases in CONUS all the way to the
                                  USSR at subsonic speeds, carrying a nuclear warhead. The guidance
                                  system they developed for it was very advanced, and was later used
                                  for the SR-71 Blackbird. The Snark had a difficult testing period,
                                  leading people to talk about "Snark-infested waters" off Cape
                                  Canaveral.

                                  Paul C.

                                  -- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Techniker der überholten
                                  Systeme : arbeitsloser <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                  > I believe "snotty" refers to drainage of the sinus, the behavior
                                  > exhibited below is currently considered SNARK~ish.
                                  >
                                  > You really need to update your slang.
                                  >
                                  > Jim

                                • Rod Lannon
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 25, 2008
                                    At least we're off talking about microwave towers. :-)
                                    Was beginning to think the list had "jumped the shark"
                                    or perhaps the snark.

                                    Rod

                                    paul125a wrote:

                                    > When I saw the word "SNARK" in the subject field I thought, great!
                                    > someone is going to talk about the Snark--the 1950s-era, proto-
                                    > cruise missile that was to go from bases in CONUS all the way to the
                                    > USSR at subsonic speeds, carrying a nuclear warhead. The guidance
                                    > system they developed for it was very advanced, and was later used
                                    > for the SR-71 Blackbird. The Snark had a difficult testing period,
                                    > leading people to talk about "Snark-infested waters" off Cape
                                    > Canaveral.
                                    >
                                    > Paul C.
                                    >
                                    > -- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                                    > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, Techniker der überholten
                                    > Systeme : arbeitsloser <yahoo@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I believe "snotty" refers to drainage of the sinus, the behavior
                                    > > exhibited below is currently considered SNARK~ish.
                                    > >
                                    > > You really need to update your slang.
                                    > >
                                    > > Jim

                                  • Spencer
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 25, 2008
                                      At least the tower topic was closer to communications than missiles. coldwarcomms
                                      = cold war communications. Although using a missile does send a clear message.

                                      "Reach out and touch someone"
                                      at&t your world delivered

                                      -- In coldwarcomms@ yahoogroups. com, Techniker der überholten R>Systeme : arbeitsloser <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                      > I believe "snotty" refers to drainage of the sinus, the behavior
                                      > exhibited below is currently considered SNARK~ish.
                                      >
                                      > You really need to update your slang.
                                      >
                                      > Jim

                                    • Michael St. Angelo
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 25, 2008
                                        Paul,

                                        Would you have any information on the guidance system? Sounds interesting.

                                        Mike

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 26, 2008
                                          Well, I admit this isn't communications, but since you asked, I'll
                                          answer...

                                          I've uploaded two photos of the guidance system, in a folder
                                          called "SNARK." It was a combination stellar-inertial system, with
                                          an automatic star tracker, which found and locked onto a star very
                                          quickly after launch. The SR-71 did the same.

                                          If you look carefully at the photos, you will see vacuum tubes!

                                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Michael St. Angelo"
                                          <mstangelo@...> wrote:

                                          > Paul,
                                          >
                                          > Would you have any information on the guidance system? Sounds
                                          interesting.

                                          > Mike

                                        • Mike Cowen
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 26, 2008
                                            Cool stuff!

                                            While not in the traditional sense of "communications", launching a
                                            cruise at someone is --definitely-- a form of communication! :-)

                                            Mike