Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: ATT Microwave towers for wind power

  • Lou Novacheck
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
      Article in today's WashPost:

      *080920NY Tests Turbines to Produce Power**
      *City Taps Current Of the East River

      By Robin Shulman

      NEW YORK -- On a recent morning, a crane sank a 16-foot rotor into the
      waters of the East River and divers swam deep to bolt it to the bottom. By
      early evening, as the northerly current sped up, the rotor began to spin, a
      big thunk sounded in the control room, a green light went on, and
      electricity began to pour into a nearby supermarket.

      The scene represents an experiment in tidal power, using turbines that look
      like underwater windmills, and it is the first of its kind nationwide and
      one of only a few such pilot projects in the world.

      "This is just the beginning of a project, but the project itself is
      emblematic of a whole new industry," said Trey Taylor, the president of
      Verdant Power, a small company that created the experiment and hopes to
      expand it to commercial use with 300 turbines in the East River that could
      power up to 10,000 homes in the city.

      Engineers, policymakers and energy experts say projects like the East River
      tidal turbines are already placing this city at the urban vanguard of energy
      production. They say New York City is uniquely positioned to advance
      sustainable energy projects because of the city's enormous need for power,
      its high electricity costs, and the pressure for new sources created by its
      unusual rule that 80 percent of energy must be generated within the city.

      Mayor Michael R.
      sought to make New York the cleanest and greenest major city in the
      country. He has faced setbacks -- for example, when his congestion pricing
      plan to reduce the number of cars in Manhattan was killed by the state
      legislature. He was mocked when he spoke of placing windmills on bridges and
      skyscrapers, and a few New York tabloids ran illustrations of wind turbines
      on the Brooklyn
      the Empire
      State Building<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Empire+State+Building?tid=informline>

      Still, he has asked private companies to submit ideas to develop wind, solar
      and water energy projects. And for the past year, his administration has
      supported the water turbines, a project many years in the making.

      The idea is simple: As water flows, it spins the rotors and produces
      electricity. The turbines run according to the tide charts, which are as
      predictable as phases of the moon.

      The idea was rejected for state funding in 2000, only to be accepted a few
      years later.

      The strength of the flows of the East River -- which is technically not a
      river, but a tidal strait, whose current switches direction throughout the
      day -- makes it an ideal spot for generating power. The strength of the
      current also makes it hard on equipment. Swift-moving waters chewed up the
      first two types of turbines, which Verdant, a small, private company,
      installed in late 2006 and early 2007.

      The first blades were fiberglass with a steel skeleton. Later, another set
      of rotors was made from aluminum and magnesium.

      "The water was very powerful, so it broke the rotors," Taylor said.

      The newest blades are made from an aluminum alloy, attached to rotors whose
      strength has been extensively tested. If all holds together, Taylor expects
      to apply for permission to expand and launch a commercial operation.

      But the capacity of the turbines is not the only stumbling block. There were
      years of environmental testing on the site, including an investment of more
      than $2 million to monitor the impact on fish and migratory birds. Both have
      avoided the big, clunky turbines thus far, Taylor said, but regulations
      require ongoing inspections.

      The city needs new ways to generate energy because existing transmission
      lines from upstate are inadequate and the city's needs are growing, said
      James Gallagher, energy expert at the city's Economic Development Corp.

      "We need generation within the city, and anything we can add in terms of
      clean, efficient, new generation, has a value to it," he said.

      He and other analysts say tidal power is a small piece of the city's energy
      equation. In fact, New York is learning the rules of the game for its own
      brand of urban sustainable energy production: The winds and waters of this
      port city can be harnessed, but only in certain places. Tidal power is
      reliable, but small-scale. Wind power is cheap but rare. Solar power is
      unreliable, inconstant and expensive but easy to install.

      Experts warn that before these alternatives are widely adopted, New York
      will have to upgrade its antiquated grid system, which is currently
      incapable of incorporating a great deal of power from multiple small

      The city's peak energy consumption is 12,000 megawatts at any given moment,
      said Stephen Hammer, the director of the Urban Energy Program at Columbia
      "The question is, 'What's our goal? How much of that 12,000 megawatts total
      do we want to try to achieve? What kind of cost burden do we want to bear to
      achieve it?' "

      So far, support has been relatively strong on Roosevelt Island, the quiet
      community between Manhattan and
      is the project's base. Developers began building that support in 2001,
      long before any installation, beginning with neighborhood meetings.

      "I think it's a great thing," said Pia Doane, 63, speaking as she shopped
      for fruit at the Gristede's supermarket the project powers. She said she'd
      rather live in view of a turbine than a smokestack, such as those at the
      massive power plant just across the water, which she calls Asthma Alley.
      "This current has a big force," she said. "We should use it."

      On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 2:14 AM, widebandit <widebandit@...> wrote:

      > And veering back on topic (more or less)...
      > Upon reading the article, it appears that Mr. Kropper wants to
      > install his own 240' turbines either in addition to or in replacement
      > of the AT&T towers - not on them. I doubt that existing PCS tenants
      > would be willing to give up their tower for a turbine, and the study
      > will have to address how existing PCS coverage would be affected by
      > nearby windmills (let's call 'em what they are - 'turbine' is sooo
      > politically correct).
      > Mr. Kropper's working presumptionss are that adding a windmill at an
      > existing AT&T/AT site won't be a problem for the FAA, the zoning
      > board, or local environmentalists, and since the neighbors are
      > already used to a quiet tower, they won't mind living next to an
      > active windmill (er... turbine) or two, completely disregarding the
      > fact that a number of AT&T microwave sites have been purchased for
      > the express purpose of demolishing the 'eyesore' tower. The photo in
      > the article shows Mr. Kropper standing by the Bear Mtn tower - Bear
      > Mtn was one of the 1947 TDX, NY-to-Boston sites. The TDX repeater
      > bldg is directly behind him.
      > I'm also hearing that people living in close proximity to wind
      > turbines are physiologically affected by the particular range of
      > frequencies they emit - which may be a factor in future wind farm
      > development. BTW, the wind farm concept is giving way to single
      > installations - there's a number of (large) stand-alone windmills
      > along I-80 in western Iowa.
      > Don't get me wrong, I think windmills are great - the more we build
      > the better the technology becomes, and pulling energy out of the air
      > is better than pulling it out of the ground - but the nimbys (not in
      > my back yard) are out there. A couple years ago I got permission to
      > visit the Cameron, Ca. TD2 site, located smack in the middle of a
      > huge wind farm in the Tehachapi Mts. But on the way out I got boxed
      > in by some maintenance techs who thought I was an activist lookin for
      > trouble.
      > Many AT&T sites are completely unsuited for any other communications
      > use. As route density increased, AT&T path engineers became
      > increasingly clever at hiding towers in between hills and in passes
      > such that a particular tower could only 'see' its own adjacent sites
      > but not any nearby communities or highways. This is particularly
      > evident in the West where some sites aren't visible until you are
      > almost at the gate. These sites may be better candidates for wind
      > power - providing that the cost of repairing/upgrading power lines is
      > not prohibitive.
      > As for the water wheel thing; there's a European firm installing
      > under-water turbines that look like smaller versions of wind
      > turbines. They're mounted on pylons in symmetrical pairs amd operate
      > below the shipping but can be raised to the surface for maintenance.
      > At 62 pounds per cubic foot, you can pull a heck of a lot more energy
> [...]

      "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
      hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
      There's also a negative side."
      � Hunter S. Thompson

      Without music, life would be a mistake.
      Friedrich Nietzsche

      That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it
      is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new
      � Declaration of Independence