Re: Introduction

  • Bruce Fletcher
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Rod Lannon <biggrod@...> wrote:

      > Very possibly could have been 6926.
      > See my other posts today. It looks almost
      > identical to theis photo:
      >
      > http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-
      archives/archives/technical/western-union-tech-review/18-1/p042.jpg

      The picture shows late 50's to early 60's vintage IBM kit. The two
      right hand M/C's are based on the 026 Keypunch and the left hand one
      looks like a variant of an 870. The 870 was a keypunch with paper
      tape punch and/or reader built on, all coupled to IBM Model B
      typewriter. The 'cabinet' is a 1401/1410/1440 CPU cabinet. This means
      that the 'works' were built from IBM's 'Standard Modular System'
      (SMS) components. These were plug in circuit boards with discrete
      transistors, resisters and capacitors.
      --
      Bruce Fletcher
      Stronsay, Orkney