Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 2853

  • Doug Humphrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2008

      > Per CNN < http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/20/navy.georgia.aid/index.html
      > > the US has 3 ships available to bring Humanitarian aid to
      > Georgia, if requested by the Georgians. However only 2 were allowed
      > into the Black Sea by Turkey. The Navy destroyer USS McFaul (DDG 74,
      > an Arleigh Burke Guided Missile Destroyer) and USCG Cutter Dallas
      > (WHEC 760, a High Endurance Cutter) were cleared into the Black Sea
      > but the USS Mt. Whittney (LCC/JCC 20, A Blue Ridge Class Command
      > Ship and The current Flag ship of the US Sixth Fleet) ) was not
      > granted permission to enter the Black Sea. The Mt. Whitneys web site
      > identifies it " As the most sophisticated Command, Control,
      > Communications, Computer, and Intelligence (C4I) ship ever
      > commissioned, MTW incorporates various elements of the most advanced
      > C4I equipment and gives the embarked Joint Task Force Commander the
      > capability to effectively command widely dispersed air, ground and
      > maritime units in an integrated fashion."
      > Wonder if it's because the Mt. Whitney not only has lots of MREs
      > and the ability to make 100K gallons of fresh H2O each day, but its
      > electronic spectrum vacuum cleaner capabilities that might be the
      > deal breaker?

      I would GUESS that you are dead on - just a guess, but while you can
      get a couple of
      vans on the deck of a destroyer, the Whittney is the modern equiv. to
      what the Liberty
      was way back when (although I don't know if the Maryland Procurement
      Agency has
      any reps onboard, but I will lay odds there would be if she was going
      in tight to that
      situation)

      > Maybe the Bear dropped a word to it's Turkish neighbors on how it
      > would feel about having such a nosey visitor in the neighborhood at
      > the moment? Or maybe they don't want the purloined HUMMWVs
      > reposessed? I thought the Turks were sorta on our side of the ledger?
      > Shades of the old days, eh?
      > Regards, Ron

      yeah - a LOT like the old days. lets hope it stops getting more and
      more like the
      old days.

      doug