Chatham Project Office Article

  • dan_s_20190
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2008
      Jay Price wrote an article about the Chatham facility in the Raleigh
      News and Observer last Sunday. I saw the print version while I was at
      the beach, and I'm surprised there's been no mention of it here yet.

      http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1171531.html

      Secret Cold War Bunker Vacant in Chatham

      FEARRINGTON VILLAGE - For 45 years, it has generated speculation and
      wild rumors of missile silos, UFOs and odd columns of smoke.

      Now one of the nation's most secret Cold War installations -- a giant
      underground bunker built into a hilltop now flanked by some of
      fast-growing northern Chatham County's most genteel subdivisions --
      has apparently closed.

      The department-store-size bunker was built and buried in the early and
      mid-1960s. From its massive steel and concrete blast doors down to its
      spring-mounted urinals, the AT&T facility was designed to survive a
      nearby nuclear explosion.