High Seas and Coastal Harbor Radio in National Emergency

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2008
      A quick search yielded some procedures since 911 but nothing much
      earlier. I assume there were practices in place for operators and
      management during the Cold War for priorites,restrictions,patches etc
      involving vessel comms(domestic and foreign) in emergency
      scenarios;anyone have any specifics?; especially in pre SATCOM days.
    • Mark Springer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2008
        If you can find an older copy of the Pub. *Radio Aids to Navigation*, the
        back has a chapter on "Naval Control of Shipping" which discusses a variety
        of communications procedures, focused principally on Europe and the North
        Atlantic (there is even a fallout rose for the English Channel). The thing
        that always fascinated me was the reference to "Envelope Alfa," described as
        a "turnover item" upon Masters relief, IOW, it had to stay with the ship and
        in the Masters custody.
        Also, here is a URL that might be of interest:
        http://www.marad.dot.gov/Headlines/advisories/2007/1-2007%20NATO%20Masters%20Guide.html

        de Mark, WL7BCT
        Bethel, Alaska