Re: Old AT&T HF Radio test transmission from White Plains New York

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 7, 2008
      Looking further into at&t high seas radio I found(surprisingly)
      that at&t sent QSL's for their test transmission reception, at least
      for WOO:

      http://www.kloth.net/radio/qsl/qsl-attny.php
    • radioconsult
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 7, 2008
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@...> wrote:

        > Looking further into at&t high seas radio I found(surprisingly)
        > that at&t sent QSL's for their test transmission reception, at least
        > for WOO:
        >
        > http://www.kloth.net/radio/qsl/qsl-attny.php

        Back in the late 70's I operated a ship station anchored off of W.
        Africa, we communicated with AT&T High Seas WOM (Miami, Fl). I used a
        Motorola Micom HF-ssb on 8-12-16 mhz. You would listen for the best
        band conditions, select and idle channel and give a voice call, with
        your approxmate lat & lon (4 N/6 E)so the tech operator could get the
        correct tx & rx antennas on you; then when he was satisfied your were
        traffic quality he would transfer you to a traffice operator for call
        completition. I think a call was $3.00/min (3 minute min) billed to
        your good old AT&T credit card or collect. Remember the good old
        days! Someone could call and request an incoming call, they would add
        your vessel to the call list and repeat it on a regular interval.
      • taskforceleader
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 8, 2008
          Has anyone heard from Don recently?

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

          > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
          > >
          > > Was that Don Kimberlin's voice on the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale
          > > stations?
          >

          > A name I've not heard mentioned in years...
          >

          > --
          > A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
          > & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
          > Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
          > is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

        • Charles Fargis
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 8, 2008
            If you have any more questions on telco HF, I am in touch with a guy who
            used to work at OCEAN GATE for 8 Years and I used to work with him.
            Here is his response re the announcement

            Charlie,

            Yes the High Seas Radiotelephone service provided by AT&T had a standard
            announcement that we called our "Standard speech", The same recording was
            also used by what was call Point to Point Radiotelephone that AT&T provided
            world wide.

            "This is a test transmission for circuit adjustment purposes from a station
            of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company. This station is located
            near New York City."

            Have a look at this page also.
            <http://www.kloth.net/radio/qsl/qsl-attny.php>
            http://www.kloth.net/radio/qsl/qsl-attny.php

            I worked AT WOO Ocean Gate Radio for about 8 years.

            I'd be glad to answer any of your questions about The HF radio service that
            AT&T provided.
            I forwarded your request re: Don Kimberlin

            > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
            > >
            > > Was that Don Kimberlin's voice on the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale
            > > stations?
            >

            > A name I've not heard mentioned in years...
            >

            > --
            > A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
            > & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
            > Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
            > is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

          • Pj
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 8, 2008
              So how was this test transmission actually used? Just trying to figure out the process, who was involved, etc.
            • dllewiszz
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 9, 2008
                , "taskforceleader" <mcfoster@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone heard from Don recently?

                Don and I emailed last November, discussing this same topic. I
                emailed him this week asking if that's his voice, but haven't received
                a reply.
              • james kester
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 9, 2008
                  I think there are a few guys left that know how to drive it.
                  I'll have to call around and see if anyone still can.