Old AT&T HF Radio test transmission from White Plains New York

  • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 4, 2008
      When I first discovered short wave radio signals in the 50's I recall
      often hearing a HF signal that went something like: This is a test
      transmission for circuit adjustment purposes. This transmission
      originated form an office of the American Telephone and Telegraph
      Company and is located in White Plains New York. I feel sure others on
      this group have heard that signal. Anyone by chance have or know where
      I could find a recording of this signal?

      Dexter
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4, 2008
        I don't know of any recordings, but my guess is that the signal was for
        testing AT&T's overseas circuits. White Plains was a regional toll
        switching center and, I believe, one of AT&T's overseas switchboard
        locations. The actual HF transmitters and receivers were at Ocean Gate and
        Manahawkin, NJ.

        Albert

        _____

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 5, 2008
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
          <dmcintyre@...> wrote:

          > When I first discovered short wave radio signals in the 50's I recall
          > often hearing a HF signal that went something like: This is a test
          > transmission for circuit adjustment purposes. This transmission
          > originated form an office of the American Telephone and Telegraph
          > Company and is located in White Plains New York. I feel sure others
          on
          > this group have heard that signal. Anyone by chance have or know
          where
          > I could find a recording of this signal?
          >
          > Dexter

          There was a thread on these recently, & a website with recordings, but
          i cant't seem to find it; i have a couple of mp3's if others don't have
          the website.
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 6, 2008

            > > Dexter
            > >
            > There was a thread on these recently, & a website with recordings, but
            > i cant't seem to find it; i have a couple of mp3's if others don't have
            > the website.

            I found the url & thread; it's 11821; for those who can't retrieve it
            the page is:

            http://havana.yak.net/outgoing/vm/
          • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 6, 2008
              Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. For some odd reason I
              was fascinated with the AT&T transmissions as a kid. I would leave my
              Knight Kit Span Master tuned to the repeating messages for hours. Maybe
              that had something to do with my later 32 year career with AT&T which
              started with the Long Lines Department.

              Dexter

              ozob99 wrote:
              > I found the url & thread; it's 11821; for those who can't retrieve it
              > the page is:
              >
              > http://havana.yak.net/outgoing/vm/

            • Michael Bender
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 6, 2008
                On Jul 6, 2008, at 12:07 PM, ozob99 wrote:

                >> There was a thread on these recently, & a website with recordings,
                >> but
                >> i cant't seem to find it; i have a couple of mp3's if others don't
                >> have
                >> the website.
                >
                > I found the url & thread; it's 11821; for those who can't retrieve it
                > the page is:
                >
                > http://havana.yak.net/outgoing/vm/

                I noticed that the few that I listened to didn't use any type of
                call sings (Wxxx, Kxxx, etc...) to identify themselves, they just
                said "This is <whoever it is>". Was there no requirement to use
                any type of call sign for these types of transmissions?

                mike
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 6, 2008
                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Michael Bender
                  <Michael.Bender@...> wrote:

                  > I noticed that the few that I listened to didn't use any type of
                  > call sings (Wxxx, Kxxx, etc...) to identify themselves, they just
                  > said "This is <whoever it is>". Was there no requirement to use
                  > any type of call sign for these types of transmissions?
                  >
                  > mike

                  Apparently not for high seas & harbor communications; I never heard the
                  Norfolk Marine Operator(C&P Tel of Va) give it's call sign over the
                  years; however it was displayed on the terminal equipment at the CO.

                  Perhaps it was only required once a day, say at 1201am.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 6, 2008
                    Interesting question. The stations did have callsigns (for example Ocean
                    Gate, NJ was WOO), but perhaps their use wasn't required since the
                    frequencies were dedicated to specific companies and functions, rather than
                    being shared like the ham bands.

                    Albert

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 6, 2008
                      Thanks - I'll add the link to my site.

                      Albert

                      _____

                      > There was a thread on these recently, & a website with recordings, but
                      > i cant't seem to find it; i have a couple of mp3's if others don't have
                      > the website.

                      I found the url & thread; it's 11821; for those who can't retrieve it
                      the page is:

                      http://havana. <http://havana.yak.net/outgoing/vm/> yak.net/outgoing/vm/

                      __

                    • dllewiszz
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 7, 2008
                        Man, this takes me back 40+ years! I've heard these announcements in
                        my head all these years but haven't heard recordings until today. I
                        always found the audio rather strange on the White Plains station,
                        kind of a cross between SSB and DSB.

                        Was that Don Kimberlin's voice on the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale
                        stations?

                        > I found the url & thread; it's 11821; for those who can't retrieve it
                        > the page is:
                        >
                        > http://havana.yak.net/outgoing/vm/

                      • David Lesher
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 7, 2008

                          > Was that Don Kimberlin's voice on the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale
                          > stations?

                          A name I've not heard mentioned in years...

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 7, 2008
                            Looking further into at&t high seas radio I found(surprisingly)
                            that at&t sent QSL's for their test transmission reception, at least
                            for WOO:

                            http://www.kloth.net/radio/qsl/qsl-attny.php
                          • radioconsult
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 7, 2008
                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@...> wrote:

                              > Looking further into at&t high seas radio I found(surprisingly)
                              > that at&t sent QSL's for their test transmission reception, at least
                              > for WOO:
                              >
                              > http://www.kloth.net/radio/qsl/qsl-attny.php

                              Back in the late 70's I operated a ship station anchored off of W.
                              Africa, we communicated with AT&T High Seas WOM (Miami, Fl). I used a
                              Motorola Micom HF-ssb on 8-12-16 mhz. You would listen for the best
                              band conditions, select and idle channel and give a voice call, with
                              your approxmate lat & lon (4 N/6 E)so the tech operator could get the
                              correct tx & rx antennas on you; then when he was satisfied your were
                              traffic quality he would transfer you to a traffice operator for call
                              completition. I think a call was $3.00/min (3 minute min) billed to
                              your good old AT&T credit card or collect. Remember the good old
                              days! Someone could call and request an incoming call, they would add
                              your vessel to the call list and repeat it on a regular interval.
                            • taskforceleader
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 8, 2008
                                Has anyone heard from Don recently?

                                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                                > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                                > >
                                > > Was that Don Kimberlin's voice on the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale
                                > > stations?
                                >

                                > A name I've not heard mentioned in years...
                                >

                                > --
                                > A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
                                > & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
                                > Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
                                > is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

                              • Charles Fargis
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 8, 2008
                                  If you have any more questions on telco HF, I am in touch with a guy who
                                  used to work at OCEAN GATE for 8 Years and I used to work with him.
                                  Here is his response re the announcement

                                  Charlie,

                                  Yes the High Seas Radiotelephone service provided by AT&T had a standard
                                  announcement that we called our "Standard speech", The same recording was
                                  also used by what was call Point to Point Radiotelephone that AT&T provided
                                  world wide.

                                  "This is a test transmission for circuit adjustment purposes from a station
                                  of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company. This station is located
                                  near New York City."

                                  Have a look at this page also.
                                  <http://www.kloth.net/radio/qsl/qsl-attny.php>
                                  http://www.kloth.net/radio/qsl/qsl-attny.php

                                  I worked AT WOO Ocean Gate Radio for about 8 years.

                                  I'd be glad to answer any of your questions about The HF radio service that
                                  AT&T provided.
                                  I forwarded your request re: Don Kimberlin

                                  > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                                  > >
                                  > > Was that Don Kimberlin's voice on the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale
                                  > > stations?
                                  >

                                  > A name I've not heard mentioned in years...
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  > A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
                                  > & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
                                  > Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
                                  > is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

                                • Pj
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 8, 2008
                                    So how was this test transmission actually used? Just trying to figure out the process, who was involved, etc.
                                  • dllewiszz
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 9, 2008
                                      , "taskforceleader" <mcfoster@...> wrote:

                                      > Has anyone heard from Don recently?

                                      Don and I emailed last November, discussing this same topic. I
                                      emailed him this week asking if that's his voice, but haven't received
                                      a reply.
                                    • james kester
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 9, 2008
                                        I think there are a few guys left that know how to drive it.
                                        I'll have to call around and see if anyone still can.