Interesting AT&T POP List

  • jamesbburks
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
      Here's a link to an interesting AT&T POP list from their public
      website:
      http://www.corp.att.com/globalnetworking/media/network_map.swf

      It lists several of our old friends:
      Hagerstown
      Offut
      Dranesville
      Bluemont
      Rockdale
      Camp David

      And some others that may be interesting....
    • Charles Fargis
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
        BRS is listed in PA and Chatham is still listed in NC but weve seeen the
        rust bucket that is.
        Culpepper and Charlottesville are pops. What about the #2 offices?

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
          Norway is NOT listed?

        • Nathan Watson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
            The exact same question went through my mind.

            I also noticed that Xenia, Ohio is spelled "Xenio" on
            this site.

            Nathan

            --- David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

            > Norway is NOT listed?
            >

            > --
            > A host is a host from coast to
            > coast.................wb8foz@...
            > & no one will talk to a host that's
            > close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
            > Unless the host (that isn't
            > close).........................pob 1433
            > is busy, hung or
            > dead....................................20915-1433

          • David Lesher
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008

              > > Norway is NOT listed?
              > The exact same question went through my mind.
              >
              > I also noticed that Xenia, Ohio is spelled "Xenio" on
              > this site.

              I assume Xenia is not the TD-2 silo along I-70 as I thought
              it was just a TV spur....

            • widebandit
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2008
                The concrete tower along I-70 is the Springfield Radio-Relay
                Building; part of the route: Cincinnati, White Oak, Springboro,
                Dayton, Springfield, Catawba, Columbus. All repeater stations on
                this route are concrete Radio-Relay Buildings. Springfield's delay-
                lens antennas were replaced with horn-reflectors mounted on a two-
                deck type-A tower built on the roof. A third pair of horns was added
                for a branching hop to Urbana. The added weight and wind-load of the
                steel tower plus six horns required a wider foundation which was done
                by adding four concrete buttresses to base of the building. Albert's
                Long-Lines.net website has more info, and Windows Live Local -
                maps.live.com - has excellent bird's-eye views of the tower.

                As for Xenio[a], I have not seen a microwave station by that name on
                any route maps....WaW...

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2008
                  I think I'm going blind! Albert's Long-Lines.net website also has a
                  nice contribution by Michael W. Jacobs on the Xenia L5 main station.
                  Just coax - no microwave!...WaW...

                • long-lines@att.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 21, 2008
                    Back in June Jim Burks posted the link below to an AT&T Global Network Map.

                    In the new world order what constitutes a 'Service Node'? Does an OC-3 with a mux
                    on the end service a single customer constitute a Service Node? Or are we talking
                    about a PSTN Interconnection POP?

                    I'm pretty sure AT&T does not have fiber to all of these locations; perhaps some of
                    them are via leased ILEC facilities ...?

                    c.

                    > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: "jamesbburks" <jim.burks@...>
                    > Date sent: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:23:24 -0000
                    > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Interesting AT&T POP
                    > List
                    > Send reply to: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                    >

                    > Here's a link to an interesting AT&T POP list from their public
                    > website:
                    >
                    > http://www.corp.att.com/globalnetworking/media/network_map.swf

                    [snip]
                  • jamesbburks
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 22, 2008
                      It's almost certainly what we know of as a POP, significant AT&T-
                      owned equipment. Where the handoff is from the LEC to the IXC.

                      It is almost certainly not a customer location with an OC-3 mux. I
                      would guess AT&T has fiber, either owned or leased, with diverse
                      access to all of these locations.

                      I can identify at least two that are on customer premise (Blue Ridge
                      Summit PA, Bentonville AR). Both have significant amounts of AT&T
                      equipment. Bentonville is several rooms full, with AT&T secured
                      access even though in a customer premise.

                      Some locations are influenced by key customers wanting diverse
                      access to POPs, but are not on customer premise (Horn Lake MS).

                      The geographic diversity of POPs saves significantly on the local
                      loop circuit costs. A general rule of thumb for leased line
                      dedicated bandwith circuits is that 1/2 of the cost is for the local
                      loop at both ends, and 1/2 is for the IXC circuit between the two
                      POPs. AT&T pays by the mile for the local loop. If they have to run
                      the local loop a long way to the nearest POP, it puts more of the
                      money into the IXC's pockets and less into AT&Ts. With the
                      consolidation (AT&T, SBC, BellSouth) and (Verizon, MCI), it's
                      changing somewhat, but still there.

                      Also, each of these 'POP' locations almost certainly has diverse
                      access (at least two fiber or radio routes). Cable cuts are much
                      more recoverable POP-to-POP than for the 'last mile' between the POP
                      and the customer site.

                      When we evaluate carriers, especially International, a POP map tells
                      us whether they are serious about being an International carrier or
                      a wanna-be. If you have to run the local loop from Estonia all the
                      way back to the nearest POP in Frankfurt, choose another carrier.
                      You will have too many finger-pointing problems with 'looks good on
                      my part of it'.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 23, 2008
                        The first few years after divestiture many non-CO POP's were Digital MW
                        stations where ATT interfaced the LEC's at DS-1 and/or 3( hi cap
                        access) to minimise access costs as described, but most of these served
                        PSN & Special Services in general,not customer specific,and were not
                        service nodes.
                      • long-lines@att.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 26, 2008
                          On 22 Jul 2008 at 19:56, jamesbburks wrote:

                          > It's almost certainly what we know of as a POP, significant AT&T-
                          > owned equipment. Where the handoff is from the LEC to the IXC.

                          For clarity/purposes of this conversation I'm going to equate LEC to ILEC ...

                          > It is almost certainly not a customer location with an OC-3 mux. I
                          > would guess AT&T has fiber, either owned or leased, with diverse
                          > access to all of these locations.

                          The location I'm looking at is Lincolnville, Maine. As best as I can tell AT&T does not
                          and never has had any fiber or radio facilities in or around this location. More
                          specifically the Bell System, either Long Lines (AT&T) or the RBOC (New England
                          Telephone/NYNEX/Bell Atlantic/Verizon/FairPoint) does not appear to ever had
                          anything there except a couple trunks to Lincolnville Telephone Company (just as
                          they do/did to every independent company).

                          > I can identify at least two that are on customer premise (Blue Ridge
                          > Summit PA, Bentonville AR). Both have significant amounts of AT&T
                          > equipment. Bentonville is several rooms full, with AT&T secured access
                          > even though in a customer premise.

                          Understood but not applicable at the "low end".

                          > Some locations are influenced by key customers wanting diverse
                          > access to POPs, but are not on customer premise (Horn Lake MS).
                          >
                          > The geographic diversity of POPs saves significantly on the local loop
                          > circuit costs. A general rule of thumb for leased line dedicated
                          > bandwith circuits is that 1/2 of the cost is for the local loop at
                          > both ends, and 1/2 is for the IXC circuit between the two POPs. AT&T
                          > pays by the mile for the local loop. If they have to run the local
                          > loop a long way to the nearest POP, it puts more of the money into the
                          > IXC's pockets and less into AT&Ts. With the consolidation (AT&T, SBC,
                          > BellSouth) and (Verizon, MCI), it's changing somewhat, but still
                          > there.

                          The only scenario I can envision is that Lincolnville made a deal with AT&T to by-
                          pass the RBOC. In this scenario it is Lincolnville that would appear to have installed
                          and maintained fiber between Lincolnville and the AT&T POP in Bangor (Lincolnville
                          Tel. *does* have fiber running through the RBOC in that area).

                          > Also, each of these 'POP' locations almost certainly has diverse
                          > access (at least two fiber or radio routes). Cable cuts are much more
                          > recoverable POP-to-POP than for the 'last mile' between the POP and
                          > the customer site.

                          It doesn't look that way in this case.

                          > When we evaluate carriers, especially International, a POP map tells
                          > us whether they are serious about being an International carrier or a
                          > wanna-be. If you have to run the local loop from Estonia all the way
                          > back to the nearest POP in Frankfurt, choose another carrier. You will
                          > have too many finger-pointing problems with 'looks good on my part of
                          > it'.

                          Agreed.

                          c.

                        • long-lines@att.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 26, 2008
                            On 23 Jul 2008 at 18:19, ozob99 wrote:

                            > The first few years after divestiture many non-CO POP's were Digital
                            > MW stations where ATT interfaced the LEC's at DS-1 and/or 3( hi cap
                            > access) to minimise access costs as described, but most of these
                            > served PSN & Special Services in general,not customer specific,and
                            > were not service nodes.

                            This sound much like what happened at Bangor, Maine. At divestiture AT&T
                            moved out of the CO to another building and re-established microwave, and
                            (later?) fiber service, at the new location. The building was constructed in such
                            a way that the ILEC (NYNEX) had their own entrance (much like they do these
                            days for CLECs).

                            What if the customer was a small Independent telco?

                            c.
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 27, 2008
                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, long-lines@... wrote:

                              > On 23 Jul 2008 at 18:19, ozob99 wrote:
                              >
                              > > The first few years after divestiture many non-CO POP's were
                              Digital
                              > > MW stations where ATT interfaced the LEC's at DS-1 and/or 3( hi
                              cap
                              > > access) to minimise access costs as described, but most of these
                              > > served PSN & Special Services in general,not customer specific,and
                              > > were not service nodes.
                              >
                              > This sound much like what happened at Bangor, Maine. At
                              divestiture AT&T
                              > moved out of the CO to another building and re-established
                              microwave, and
                              > (later?) fiber service, at the new location. The building was
                              constructed in such
                              > a way that the ILEC (NYNEX) had their own entrance (much like they
                              do these
                              > days for CLECs).
                              >
                              > What if the customer was a small Independent telco?
                              >
                              > c.

                              I recall a couple of smaller ICO/ATT POP's in VA after divestiture
                              but not the company or locations; I think the initial interface was
                              analog then,with the POI being on a distributing frame,evolving to DS-
                              1 later.