Re: [coldwarcomms] "Wanted" movie preview!

  • Spencer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
      What does this have to do with COLDWARCOMMS Mike?

      Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote: Sorry for the generic note. I'm sending this to several people.

      It's time for another movie preview! See the list below for
      promotion cities & known dates. If one isn't near you, sign up for a
      prize pack of movie stuff. Have FUN!

      Your info will not be used for ANY other purpose. It's no scam. I
      win LOTS of movie passes this way!

      Mike

      =======================

      http://www.volition.com/movietix/

      "Wanted" movie preview.

      You can enter once per day. Contest ends 6/15/2008.

      Choose which advance screening you want to attend. If we don't have a
      preview near you, enter to win a Prize Package of movie gear.

      Albany, NY - June 26
      Albuquerque, NM - June 24
      Boston, MA
      Buffalo, NY - June 26
      Hartford, CT
      New York, NY
      Philadelphia, PA - June 24
      Phoenix, AZ - June 24
      Pittsburgh, PA - June 24
      Providence, RI
      St. Louis, MO - June 18
      Tucson, AZ - June 24

      "Reach out and touch someone"
      at&t your world delivered

    • Mark J. Cuccia
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
        On Fri, 6/6/08, Spencer wrote:

        > What does this have to do with COLDWARCOMMS Mike?

        > Mike Cowen wrote:

        >> Sorry for the generic note. I'm sending this to several
        >> people.

        (SNIP)

        I think that when Mike Cowen originally sent his movies message,
        since he sent it to "undisclosed recipients", it pulled up
        EVERYTHING in his address book, including the email address for
        posting to this Yahoo COLDWARCOMMS group.

        I've seen others do this inadvertently before where "other"
        messages to everything in the sender's address book got posted
        to the Yahoo Centraloffice group.

        People need to carefully check their "send" list, including
        "TO", "CC", ***AND ALSO*** "BCC" (Blind Carbon Copy) when
        sending to a large group of people, to make certain that
        listervs and Yahoo groups, etc. and maybe other individuals as
        well, are not to be included if the topic does not apply to
        that group/list/etc.

        mjc
      • Mike Cowen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
          Thanks Mark, that's essentially what happened. Sorry about the fat fingers.

          Yes, it was unintentional and appears off topic. I'm sorry if this
          error was terribly traumatic for some list members. I'll be sure it
          doesn't happen again. Now, is there a connection between WECO and
          cinema sound? As a matter of fact, they did develop the Vitaphone
          cinema sound system and
          others... http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/recording/motionpicture1.html

          "The picture at the top of the page shows a WE 7A dating from 1922,
          at the dawn of electronic amplification. When you picked up a phone
          and asked for "Long Distance", that's the circuit that amplified your
          voice and sent it to the next city, over many miles of twisted-pair
          wire. Wonder where the phrase "line stage" comes from? You're looking
          at one of the first ones ever made - the "line" refers to a telephone
          line, not a component sitting two feet away. Telephone practice
          migrated to STUDIOS and radio stations, which used the services of
          AT&T Long Lines to build the first radio networks."
          http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/Rosetta_Stone.html

          Totally & completely unrelated to the group? Not if you truly
          consider the history behind what THIS group is all about...

          For those able to take advantage of my error and see a movie before
          it's released, or get some related movie trinkets, both gratis, maybe
          say thanks...

          Mike

          At 01:37 PM 6/6/2008, you wrote:

          >On Fri, 6/6/08, Spencer wrote:
          >
          > > What does this have to do with COLDWARCOMMS Mike?
          >
          > > Mike Cowen wrote:
          >
          > >> Sorry for the generic note. I'm sending this to several
          > >> people.
          >
          >(SNIP)
          >
          >I think that when Mike Cowen originally sent his movies message,
          >since he sent it to "undisclosed recipients", it pulled up
          >EVERYTHING in his address book, including the email address for
          >posting to this Yahoo COLDWARCOMMS group.
          >
          >I've seen others do this inadvertently before where "other"
          >messages to everything in the sender's address book got posted
          >to the Yahoo Centraloffice group.
          >
          >People need to carefully check their "send" list, including
          >"TO", "CC", ***AND ALSO*** "BCC" (Blind Carbon Copy) when
          >sending to a large group of people, to make certain that
          >listervs and Yahoo groups, etc. and maybe other individuals as
          >well, are not to be included if the topic does not apply to
          >that group/list/etc.
          >
          >mjc

        • paul rosa
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
            Mike:

            I too was anguished by the thought of coldwarcomms grooup members
            thrashing about as a result of the seminal post. I mean like when faced
            with free movies here and there, which way is one to turn?

            It reminds me of my most recent trip to Russia. I stayed in the home of
            one of their capitalist managers. Besides the heated towel bars, one of
            the toys were picture phones scattered around the house. With a few
            keystrokes, they could call up imagery from any of the security cameras
            around the compound. When I tried to explain the concept of a picture
            phone to people here, I was met with blank stares. It was if I was
            trying to tell them there actually is a machine that would show you
            pictures on your telephone. Banish such stupid thoughts!

            Anyhow, your transgression may have been a bit off topic, but it was
            enjoyed by some of us. On the other hand, a tart note from group
            members does wonders from time to time to keep everybody on course in
            our little nerdy group.

            Paul Rosa
            Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

            P.S.: My lady friend is axing me what movie we are going to see and why!

            +Mike Cowen wrote:

            > Thanks Mark, that's essentially what happened. Sorry about the fat
            > fingers.
            >
            > Yes, it was unintentional and appears off topic. I'm sorry if this
            > error was terribly traumatic for some list members. I'll be sure it
            > doesn't happen again. Now, is there a connection between WECO and
            > cinema sound? As a matter of fact, they did develop the Vitaphone
            > cinema sound system and
            > others...
            > http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/recording/motionpicture1.html
            > <http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/recording/motionpicture1.html>
            >
            > "The picture at the top of the page shows a WE 7A dating from 1922,
            > at the dawn of electronic amplification. When you picked up a phone
            > and asked for "Long Distance", that's the circuit that amplified your
            > voice and sent it to the next city, over many miles of twisted-pair
            > wire. Wonder where the phrase "line stage" comes from? You're looking
            > at one of the first ones ever made - the "line" refers to a telephone
            > line, not a component sitting two feet away. Telephone practice
            > migrated to STUDIOS and radio stations, which used the services of
            > AT&T Long Lines to build the first radio networks."
            > http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/Rosetta_Stone.html
            > <http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/Rosetta_Stone.html>
            >
            > Totally & completely unrelated to the group? Not if you truly
            > consider the history behind what THIS group is all about...
            >
            > For those able to take advantage of my error and see a movie before
            > it's released, or get some related movie trinkets, both gratis, maybe
            > say thanks...
            >
            > Mike
            >
            > At 01:37 PM 6/6/2008, you wrote:
            >
            > >On Fri, 6/6/08, Spencer wrote:
            > >
            > > > What does this have to do with COLDWARCOMMS Mike?

            > >(SNIP)
            > >
            > >I think that when Mike Cowen originally sent his movies message,
            > >since he sent it to "undisclosed recipients", it pulled up
            > >EVERYTHING in his address book, including the email address for
            > >posting to this Yahoo COLDWARCOMMS group.
            > >
            > >I've seen others do this inadvertently before where "other"
            > >messages to everything in the sender's address book got posted
            > >to the Yahoo Centraloffice group.
            > >
            > >People need to carefully check their "send" list, including
            > >"TO", "CC", ***AND ALSO*** "BCC" (Blind Carbon Copy) when
            > >sending to a large group of people, to make certain that
            > >listervs and Yahoo groups, etc. and maybe other individuals as
            > >well, are not to be included if the topic does not apply to
            > >that group/list/etc.
            > >
            > >mjc

          • Mark J. Cuccia
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
              On Fri, 6/6/08, Mike Cowen wrote:

              > Thanks Mark, that's essentially what happened. Sorry
              > about the fat fingers.
              >
              > Yes, it was unintentional and appears off topic. I'm
              > sorry if this error was terribly traumatic for some list
              > members. I'll be sure it doesn't happen again.

              No problem. If something appears to be off-topic, I usually
              just delete it or file it in a folder to look at later on.
              The only reason I replied was to explain to Spencer what
              probably happened.

              > Now, is there a connection between WECO and cinema sound?
              > As a matter of fact, they did develop the Vitaphone cinema
              > sound system and others...
              > http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/recording/motionpicture1.html

              Yes, Western Electric was very much involved with Warner Bros
              with the early days of "talkies" in the late 1920s and early
              1930s. RCA and RKO developed another "sound on film" format.

              I'm a BIG fan of old movies and TV shows (and old music and
              old-time-radio), and while I do see references to the RCA sound
              system, I see MUCH more reference in credits to the Western
              Electric Sound System.

              > "The picture at the top of the page shows a WE 7A dating from
              > 1922, at the dawn of electronic amplification. When you
              > picked up a phone and asked for "Long Distance", that's the
              > circuit that amplified your voice and sent it to the next
              > city, over many miles of twisted-pair wire. Wonder where the
              > phrase "line stage" comes from? You're looking at one of the
              > first ones ever made - the "line" refers to a telephone line,
              > not a component sitting two feet away. Telephone practice
              > migrated to STUDIOS and radio stations, which used the
              > services of AT&T Long Lines to build the first radio
              > networks."
              > http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/Rosetta_Stone.html
              >
              > Totally & completely unrelated to the group? Not if you truly
              > consider the history behind what THIS group is all about...

              Western Electric was also involved with technical developments
              in the phonograph recording industry.

              Also, even way back in the 1920s, there were concerns that
              Maw Bell (AT&T/Western) was going to muscle themselves into
              the phonograph recording industry, the "talkies" motion picture
              industry, and the radio broadcasting and "chain" broadcasting
              (network radio) industry.

              There were a lot of anti-trust actions brought against AT&T/
              Western back then. Eventually, Bell backed away from direct
              ownership of radio stations and production of programming, and rather instead involved itself with TECHNICAL developments as a
              "neutral party" w/r/t the above industries, and at one point,
              Western Electric started a subsidiary called "Westrex" for
              motion picture sound. You see a lot of 1950s era movies and
              filmed TV shows with reference to "Westrex" instead of Western
              Electric. By the late 1950s, Westrex was spun-off to Litton
              Industries, and during the 1960s, the "Li" logo in movie credits
              and filmed TV show credits became more prominent while the
              "Westrex" part of the logo got smaller to where it disappeared
              altogether.

              RCA/Westinghouse/General Electric formed NBC in 1926, to take
              over the AT&T ad-hoc radio network, when AT&T decided to get
              out of PRODUCTION as part of the broadcast business. There were
              a lot of complaints that AT&T would NOT let a competitor radio
              network of the 1920s jointly owned by RCA/GE/Westinghouse lease
              AT&T inter-city audio lines. AT&T only let its OWN radio network
              use their own lines. The RCA/GE/Westinghouse network had to
              lease Western Union TELEGRAPH lines for intercity feeds, which
              was an inferior "sub-voice" grade.

              The Feds began to breathe hard on AT&T in 1926, so AT&T sold off
              the radio stations they owned and the AT&T Radio Network to
              RCA/GE/Westinghouse.

              The legacy AT&T/WEAF radio network became NBC-Red, while the
              legacy (pre=1926) RCA/Westinghouse/GE/WJZ network became the
              NBC-Blue network. Ironically, when the Feds made RCA's NBC sell
              off one of their two radio networks in the early 1940s, it was
              NBC-Blue which actually was the original WJZ/RCA/GE/Westinghouse
              network that became sold off to become the ABC Radio Network!
              The legacy AT&T/WEAF network (NBC Red) was retained by RCA as
              the NBC Radio Network. (why do I hear G/E/C chimes playing in
              my head right now? :-)

              With 1926, AT&T as a COMMON CARRIER would lease to ANY paying
              customer, dedicated leased lines for radio broadcasting use,
              and you had the development of BOTH NBC Radio networks, and then
              CBS Radio, and Mutual Radio, (and others), all leasing lines
              from AT&T for nationwide distribution. And then AT&T developed
              coax and microwave hich was needed 20 years later for network
              TV video! Today, most network radio and TV is satellite fed
              instead of using landline feeds, but telco is still involved
              to a good degree, yet not as much as it was in the 1920s-70s
              period, back when it was mostly AT&T (and connecting carriers)
              and nobody else, except for Western Union which was mostly still
              low-grade telegraph facilities.

              Yes, there is a rich history of Maw Bell and radio/TV, movies,
              phonograph recordings, etc!

              And history does seem to repeat itself... Remember about 10-20
              years ago, there was concern that AT&T and the "Baby Bells"
              and large independents (GTE, etc) were going to monopolize the
              newly developing "electronic publishing" (internet) industry,
              by controlling content on its lines, and even becoming the
              "publisher" of such content.... sort of like the concerns back
              in the 1920s! Even today, there are still such concerns!

              And one other connection between the telephone company and RCA's
              NBC Radio Network involves the use of Multi-frequency toll tones
              of AT&T, by NBC for the electronic jingle (the "Monitor Beacon")
              on the NBC Radio Network weekend program MONITOR from 1955-75.
              Ironically, there is a thread about this, earlier today, in the
              Yahoo Central Office Group:

              (You don't need to be a registered member of Yahoo:CentralOffice
              to READ the posts at the above URLs, but if you want to post or
              reply, you will need to be "subscribed").

              Mark J. Cuccia
              markjcuccia at yahoo dot com
              Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA pre-Katrina