FW: RE: [coldwarcomms] AT&T Hugo, CO (was Re: AT&T microwave station: Julesburg, CO)

  • Matthew S. Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      I meant to send this to the entire group (in case anyone else was looking for it), but just realized that I'd only responded to Tim.

      Haven't seen it in person, but my map shows the AT&T site as being about 5.5 miles south of Hugo, on CR 109 at the intersection with CR 2R (or 4.75 miles south of CR 2W).

      It's rather fuzzy, but the image on google maps looks like it could be a tower site: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=39.0544N+103.478W&ie=UTF8&ll=39.054051,-103.479983&spn=0.001554,0.003406&t=h&z=18

      Matt

      Has anyone ever seen the (former?) AT&T site in or near Hugo, Colorado?

      I wanted to find it when in the area during a cross-country expedition
      about 6 years ago, but didn't make it to that part of Colorado until about 3AM.
      Nonetheless, I drove down some lonely dirt roads, trying to minimize
      running over the thousands of field mice or whatever they were constantly darting
      across the road while looking for any sort of red tower beacon lights, and saw
      nothing.

      Details are very sketchy, but apparently NORAD had some sort of annex in/
      near Hugo. It might have been a remote HF radio receiver annex, related to
      the HF transmitter annex they had in Lamar Colorado, which was very close to
      the AT&T Lamar facility.

      Tim

      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.