Former Russian Radar Site

  • tsniffin20902
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30 6:38 PM
      http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882#more-1882

      I'm not familiar with the site and the purpose, but the pictures are
      pretty amazing.

      TS
    • tsniffin20902
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30 6:42 PM
        Paranoia comes in many forms. In this case, it comes in the form of a
        massive antenna just outside Chernobyl, called Duga 3. The Sowiets
        placed this 900 metres long structure during the cold war to detect
        missiles that were being launched thousands of miles away. The idea
        behind this was that it would give the Sowiets time to come up with a
        counterplan in case of an American attack. The sooner they heard the
        signal, the better.

        The Duga 3 broadcasted a radio-signal itself - sounding like a
        repetitive tapping that could be heard on shortwave frequencies
        worldwide - which lend the structure its nickname "The Russian
        Woodpecker". And although the western world officially didn't know
        that this structure existed, the Duga 3 was well capable of disrupting
        disrupted legitimate radio broadcast and other kinds of transmission,
        which resulted in thousands of complaints from many countries
        worldwide between July 1976 and December 1989.

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "tsniffin20902" <TSniffin@...> wrote:

        > http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882#more-1882
        >
        > I'm not familiar with the site and the purpose, but the pictures are
        > pretty amazing.
        >
        > TS

      • lasertower
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30 7:12 PM
          One man's abandoned is another's easy to rebuild. It looks like with
          not much work it could live again. One wonders how much hardware is in
          the building or in storage.

          Steve Roberts
        • james kester
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2008
            how close to Chernobyl is this thing?

            tsniffin20902 <TSniffin@...> wrote: http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882#more-1882

            I'm not familiar with the site and the purpose, but the pictures are
            pretty amazing.

            TS

          • Box SisteenHundred
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2008
              That is the "Russian Woodpecker" radar antenna.

              73

              > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
              > From: TSniffin@...
              > Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 01:38:45 +0000
              > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Former Russian Radar Site
              >
              > http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882#more-1882
              >
              > I'm not familiar with the site and the purpose, but the pictures are
              > pretty amazing.
              >
              > TS

            • John Young
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2008
                It is located a few miles northwest of Chernobyl. Can be seen on
                Google Maps. Indeed, amazing photos.

                At 05:12 AM 5/1/2008 -0700, you wrote:

                > how close to Chernobyl is this thing?
                >
                > tsniffin20902 <<mailto:TSniffin%40gmail.com>TSniffin@...> wrote:
                >
                > <http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882#more-1882>http://englishrussia.com/?p=18
                > 82#more-1882
                >
                > I'm not familiar with the site and the purpose, but the pictures are
                > pretty amazing.
                >
                > TS
              • Mike Cowen
                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2008
                  Anybody have an idea how this site compares in size to our dismantled
                  OTH-B sites?

                  Also, does anyone know where the other 2 Russian sites are?

                  Those radiating elements are interesting. Either some exotic coating
                  or metal used in their construction. They show practically no signs
                  of aging, whereas everything else is rusting. Ideas?

                  I wonder what the max ERP of this beast was? Had to be
                  insane. Several dozen MW would not surprise me. A photo of the
                  feedline(s) would be interesting to see.

                  Gotta love that panelized concrete. Sure, it's cheaper than
                  continuous poured, but you have to mow it if it's not in regular use!

                  Mike

                  At 05:24 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:

                  >It is located a few miles northwest of Chernobyl. Can be seen on
                  >Google Maps. Indeed, amazing photos.
                  >
                  >At 05:12 AM 5/1/2008 -0700, you wrote:
                  >

                  > > how close to Chernobyl is this thing?
                  > >
                  > > tsniffin20902 <<mailto:TSniffin%40gmail.com>TSniffin@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > <<http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882#more-1882>http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882#more-1882>http://englishrussia.com/?p=18
                  > > 82#more-1882
                  > >
                  > > I'm not familiar with the site and the purpose, but the pictures are
                  > > pretty amazing.
                  > >
                  > > TS

                • tarfh
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 1, 2008
                    See my OTH-B page for views of the western sector receiver facility
                    near Tulelake California before and during its destruction. There are
                    links to other informative sites at the bottom of the page.

                    The US OTH-B antenna arrays were not nearly as extravagant as their
                    Soviet counterparts.

                    <www.craigsrailroadpages.com/oth-b>

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote:

                    > Anybody have an idea how this site compares in size to our dismantled
                    > OTH-B sites?

                  • John Gillespie
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 1, 2008
                      Nikolayev, Ukraine

                      Chernigov, Ukraine

                      Komsomolsk-na-Amure, Asiatic Russia

                      According to an small article linked to the site.

                      JG

                      <mailto:TSniffin%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                      <<http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882#more-1882>http://englishrussia.com/?p=188
                      2#more-1882>http://englishrussia.com/?p=18
                      > > 82#more-1882
                      > >
                      > > I'm not familiar with the site and the purpose, but the pictures are
                      > > pretty amazing.
                      > >
                      > > TS

                    • james kester
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                        So...... The likelihood is that this structure is contaminated?

                        http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub886_web/Chernobylmap2.html

                        John Young <jya@...> wrote: It is located a few miles northwest of Chernobyl. Can be seen on
                        Google Maps. Indeed, amazing photos.

                        At 05:12 AM 5/1/2008 -0700, you wrote:

                        > how close to Chernobyl is this thing?
                        >
                        > tsniffin20902 <<mailto:TSniffin%40gmail.com>TSniffin@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > <http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882#more-1882>http://englishrussia.com/?p=18
                        > 82#more-1882
                        >
                        > I'm not familiar with the site and the purpose, but the pictures are
                        > pretty amazing.
                        >
                        > TS

                      • lasertower
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                          Too bad, I'm not a HF ham, I like microwaves, but think what you could
                          do with say 20 milliwatts in each of those feeds if you controlled the
                          phase a bit.Call it ultimate QRP. Even just loose wire coupling that
                          puppy to a receiver outta be amazing. Damn, what a waste.

                          Steve roberts