Dirty Bomb Scanning (radioactive cat)

  • jamesbburks
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
      Interesting story on Slashdot and the Seattle Times on radiation
      detectors on I-5:

      http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/24/0035229

      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/dannywestneat/2004300343_danny2
      3.html

      Jeff recommends Seattle Times columnist Danny Westneat's story from
      a community meeting with Northwest border control agents. Seems
      their monitoring for dirty bombs from the median of Interstate 5
      caught a car transporting a radioactive cat. "It turns out the feds
      have been monitoring Interstate 5 for nuclear 'dirty bombs.' They do
      it with radiation detectors so sensitive it led to the following
      incident. 'Vehicle goes by at 70 miles per hour... Agent is in the
      median, a good 80 feet away from the traffic. Signal went off and
      identified an isotope [in the passing car]. The agent raced after
      the car, pulling it over not far from the monitoring spot.' Did he
      find a nuke? 'Turned out to be a cat with cancer that had undergone
      a radiological treatment three days earlier.'"

      In my opinion, the agent gave away a little much about where the
      scanner is located...
    • gartrel2001
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "jamesbburks" <jim.burks@...>
        wrote:
        > "It turns out the feds
        > have been monitoring Interstate 5 for nuclear 'dirty bombs.'

        In Missouri, this type of scanning has taken place at least since the
        early 90s from selected Highway Patrol cars and fixed locations along
        the highways . . . with similar results, ha.

        Ken
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
          Driving from northern VA to Williamsburg, I've seen one or two fixed
          installations on interstate routes which I'm curious about. At least one is
          adjacent to a truck weigh station. The equipment consists of a horizontal
          blade or paddle-shaped device mounted directly over and parallel to the main
          traffic lanes.

          At first I though they might be part of an "EZ-Pass"-type system that would
          allow authorized truckers to bypass the scales, but I'm wondering if they
          might be rad detectors.

          Albert

          _____

          > have been monitoring Interstate 5 for nuclear 'dirty bombs.'

          In Missouri, this type of scanning has taken place at least since the
          early 90s from selected Highway Patrol cars and fixed locations along
          the highways . . . with similar results, ha.

          Ken

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
            Albert,

            It's similar to EasyPass. It's an electronic scale bypass system. I
            occasionally hear these systems being marketed on some of the talk
            radio channels on Sirius. There's a blurb on Wikipedia about them
            here:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weigh_station#Electronic_Weigh_Station_By
            pass

            ...but I'm having a hard time finding who actually offers these
            systems to end-users.

            Steve

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
            <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

            > Driving from northern VA to Williamsburg, I've seen one or two fixed
            > installations on interstate routes which I'm curious about. At
            least one is
            > adjacent to a truck weigh station. The equipment consists of a
            horizontal
            > blade or paddle-shaped device mounted directly over and parallel to
            the main
            > traffic lanes.
            >

            > At first I though they might be part of an "EZ-Pass"-type system
            that would
            > allow authorized truckers to bypass the scales, but I'm wondering
            if they
            > might be rad detectors.
            >

            > Albert
            >

            > _____

          • John Young
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
              The cat story is probably apochryphal, and leaked on purpose.
              The system should have been picking up hundreds of humans
              who have had rad treatment. Probably produced far more of
              those unpublicizable invasions of privacy than dangerous hazmat.

              Hiding small amount of radioactive materials is not difficult with
              a bit of forethought.

              A serious problem is transporting and stashing small amounts
              of components until there is enough for constructing a device.

              Similarly, experts warn of moving small elements of a device
              until the whole is ready for assembly. One transit system reminds
              that a top priority is to watch for small packages heading for train
              yards, with the same threats for ships and planes and public
              meeting places.

              To be sure pets can be mules for these components, not to say
              wee and we humans unaware of what has beeb placed in our
              carry-alls and backpacks and cruise ship trunks.

              It is a nasty world the counterterrorism experts project onto our
              wide-eyed screens. Terrorizing lessons learned from the Cold
              War. And why would the media disbelieve any of it, having the
              same scary purpose.

              No stock has risen as far as defense stocks except those of
              the media, from day one of warmaking and threatening. Well,
              maybe the treasures of the salvation trade are richer.
            • Ken Bowles
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
                In my Missouri example, it was a human being that set off the alarm in a
                Highway Patrol car. After the Trooper pulled the car over, he discovered a
                man driving his wife home after a treatment. The story was told to me by
                the Sergeant who was the Trooper while he and I were taking a class
                together at EMI in Emmitsburg, MD. But that was around 1990 and perhaps the
                sensors are now more selective, ha.

                Ken

                On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:48 AM, John Young <jya@...> wrote:

                > The cat story is probably apochryphal, and leaked on purpose.
                > The system should have been picking up hundreds of humans
                > who have had rad treatment. Probably produced far more of
                > those unpublicizable invasions of privacy than dangerous hazmat.
                >
                > Hiding small amount of radioactive materials is not difficult with
                > a bit of forethought.
                >
                > A serious problem is transporting and stashing small amounts
                > of components until there is enough for constructing a device.
                >
                > Similarly, experts warn of moving small elements of a device
                > until the whole is ready for assembly. One transit system reminds
                > that a top priority is to watch for small packages heading for train
                > yards, with the same threats for ships and planes and public
                > meeting places.
                >
                > To be sure pets can be mules for these components, not to say
                > wee and we humans unaware of what has beeb placed in our
                > carry-alls and backpacks and cruise ship trunks.
                >
                > It is a nasty world the counterterrorism experts project onto our
                > wide-eyed screens. Terrorizing lessons learned from the Cold
                > War. And why would the media disbelieve any of it, having the
                > same scary purpose.
                >
                > No stock has risen as far as defense stocks except those of
                > the media, from day one of warmaking and threatening. Well,
                > maybe the treasures of the salvation trade are richer.

              • paul rosa
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
                  Albert:

                  Most truck stops have "weigh-in-motion" systems for pre-cleared users
                  with transponders, as well as sensors for checking vehicle heights,
                  etc. Most likely you observed some of this equipment.

                  Paul Rosa

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
                    Steve and Paul,

                    Thanks for the info on the truck-transponder systems! From your
                    explanations, I'm sure that's what I saw.

                    Albert

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
                      Hi folks,
                      We have these antennas here in NYS also. Somebody wrote in to the local newspaper asking what they were and were told by the NYS Thruway Authority that they DO read EZ Pass and are (for right now) just used to monitor traffic flow. They look like small cell antennas and are mounted on a few overpasses and overhead signs. The person writing in was concerned about "surveillance" LOL
                      Craig

                      Albert LaFrance wrote:

                      > Driving from northern VA to Williamsburg, I've seen one or two fixed
                      > installations on interstate routes which I'm curious about. At least
                      > one is
                      > adjacent to a truck weigh station. The equipment consists of a horizontal
                      > blade or paddle-shaped device mounted directly over and parallel to
                      > the main
                      > traffic lanes.
                      >
                      > At first I though they might be part of an "EZ-Pass"-type system that
                      > would
                      > allow authorized truckers to bypass the scales, but I'm wondering if they
                      > might be rad detectors.
                      >
                      > Albert
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>

                    • Pj
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 27, 2008
                        What I am curious about, are the "cell" panel looking
                        units along I95 south of DC (pretty sure in northern
                        VA). I didn't notice these until after 9/11, and they
                        seem to be spaced at regualar 500ft? or closer
                        intervals for quite a distance. These are mounted on
                        both sides of I95.

                        wrote:

                        > Driving from northern VA to Williamsburg, I've seen
                        > one or two fixed
                        > installations on interstate routes which I'm curious
                        > about. At least one is
                        > adjacent to a truck weigh station. The equipment
                        > consists of a horizontal
                        > blade or paddle-shaped device mounted directly over
                        > and parallel to the main
                        > traffic lanes.
                        >

                        > At first I though they might be part of an
                        > "EZ-Pass"-type system that would
                        > allow authorized truckers to bypass the scales, but
                        > I'm wondering if they
                        > might be rad detectors.
                        >

                        > Albert
                        >

                        > _____

                        Be a better friend, newshound, and
                      • lasertower
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 28, 2008
                          Since they are hidden in plain site and painted bright yellow on the
                          PA turnpike, they literally look like car height solar panels behind a
                          thin glass window at the toll booths. How they make them solar blind I
                          dont know, as you can see the wafers of some semiconductor.
                          Ironically I dont remember them being that tall.

                          Steve Roberts
                        • lasertower
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 28, 2008
                            Oh , and most places that recycle and remelt steel have them too,
                            after a incident in which a certain medical isotope was made into table
                            legs.

                            Steve Roberts
                          • Chris Ness
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
                              On Thursday 27 March 2008 01:00:48 pm Ken Bowles wrote:
                              > In my Missouri example, it was a human being that set off the alarm in a
                              > Highway Patrol car. After the Trooper pulled the car over, he discovered a
                              > man driving his wife home after a treatment. The story was told to me by
                              > the Sergeant who was the Trooper while he and I were taking a class
                              > together at EMI in Emmitsburg, MD. But that was around 1990 and perhaps
                              > the sensors are now more selective, ha.

                              I flew from Atlanta to Denver the day after a PET scan with no notice at
                              either airport.

                              --
                              mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
                              http://home.earthlink.net/~cness the person not doing the work.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
                                Did the doctor warn you in advance you might set off alpha
                                detectors? Mine did, but I wasn't travelling, so no issue. However,
                                the geek in me did spy the Geiger counter and ask how much I was
                                emitting. I didn't get a specific value, but it put the needle full
                                scale @ 6 feet (on the lowest range). It dropped to nothing when he
                                moved the detector behind his body (i.e. between myself and the
                                detector). I did have thoughts of going to the airport, but I have
                                enough issues with TSA zombies when going on legitimate business...

                                Mike

                                At 03:21 AM 3/31/2008, you wrote:

                                >On Thursday 27 March 2008 01:00:48 pm Ken Bowles wrote:
                                > > In my Missouri example, it was a human being that set off the alarm in a
                                > > Highway Patrol car. After the Trooper pulled the car over, he discovered a
                                > > man driving his wife home after a treatment. The story was told to me by
                                > > the Sergeant who was the Trooper while he and I were taking a class
                                > > together at EMI in Emmitsburg, MD. But that was around 1990 and perhaps
                                > > the sensors are now more selective, ha.
                                >
                                >I flew from Atlanta to Denver the day after a PET scan with no notice at
                                >either airport.
                                >
                                >--
                                >mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
                                ><http://home.earthlink.net/~cness>http://home.earthlink.net/~cness
                                >the person not doing the work.
                                ><http://www.flickr.com/photos/luxomni>http://www.flickr.com/photos/luxomni
                                >Holt's Law

                              • Gregory W. Moore
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
                                  GE, Mike es the rest of the coldwarcomm grp...

                                  Last year, I had a bone scan prior to having my upmteenth spinal fusion
                                  in my neck. When you have a scan, one is injected with the radioisotope,
                                  and then is told to go home for 2 hours.

                                  Now, being the inquisitive type, I got out my radiation survey meter
                                  (CD item number CD-V-700 Model number 6B, Electro-Neutronics, Oakland
                                  CA, S/N/ 5597) OPNOTE: This is for those interested in provenance of
                                  said item --hi--

                                  The built in check source reads about .3.5-4 mr/hr some offscale peaks,
                                  the major activity being in the vicinity of the major blood vessels. It
                                  was, neverless, fun scanning myself with the alpha shield open.

                                  When I was spending my hour investigating myself, I found that I was
                                  running about 4-5 mr/hr during this time, and the bone scan was normal.

                                  I wonder if this small amount would have triggered the alpha scanner if
                                  the MIB had one between my QTH and the hospital?? The problem I see is
                                  foreseeing what would happen if one were stopped. I had no certification
                                  that I had been injected with an isotope. Since the XYL was in the car,
                                  she would have been subjected to the MIB scrutiny as well...

                                  For those who are interested, for about a day, my "output" was reading
                                  offscale on the x1 scale, and just moving the needle barely on the x10
                                  scale. I don't really care about such a low level exposure, having worn
                                  a film badge and a pocket dosimeter for some years, and never had any
                                  problems with exposure to that, either.

                                  The roadside alpha scanners must be set to take into account those who
                                  had undergone radiotherapy, or had simply been made a little "hot" for a
                                  diagnostic test. I would surmise that they (the computers which drive
                                  them anyway) are kinda looking for a specific signature as regards X
                                  amount of radiation at Y distance from a moving vehicle, and wouldn't
                                  have triggered on said radiofeline --hi-- this or for any other human
                                  with diagnostic amounts of radioactivity from therapy or tests.

                                  I appreciate this email, because I found out when I was confirming the
                                  check readings that I was flat out of "D" batts, and the unit packed up
                                  about halfway thru the experiment. I always keep one handy, along with
                                  the dosimeters, because, in today's environment, ya gotta be prepared
                                  for whatever comes along, and a low range survey meter is a good way to
                                  start (The unit I have reads from 0-500 mr/hr) and along with my 2 hi
                                  range units covers the whole spectrum. Getting CD surplus is wonderful...

                                  73 de Greg "GW" Moore WA3IVX/NNN0BVN

                                  Incidentally, for those that are interested, I previously stated that I
                                  was the proud owner of a certain "black" patch which I don't think is in
                                  the book (don't own it, but will post the darn thing anyway, if it's
                                  already in the book, so be it, but we had them made up on the QT by
                                  someone in the PR shop who could do the requisite sewing, etc, (he made
                                  a LOT of $ making patches), so I would surmise that it wouldn't be there
                                  unless someone got to the author before me --hi--. I will scan the
                                  sucker in once I get A. either the puter to recognize the darn scanner
                                  (it's an oldie but a goodie) and of which I have done everything except
                                  beat the scanner and computer to death LOL or B. I get a new scanner,
                                  which is probably the route I will take this week. The unique patch
                                  will be up in the photo sec, or on my website as soon as I have
                                  something to image the darn thing with --hi--

                                  Mike Cowen wrote:
                                  > Did the doctor warn you in advance you might set off alpha
                                  > detectors? Mine did, but I wasn't travelling, so no issue. However,
                                  > the geek in me did spy the Geiger counter and ask how much I was
                                  > emitting. I didn't get a specific value, but it put the needle full
                                  > scale @ 6 feet (on the lowest range). It dropped to nothing when he
                                  > moved the detector behind his body (i.e. between myself and the
                                  > detector). I did have thoughts of going to the airport, but I have
                                  > enough issues with TSA zombies when going on legitimate business...
                                  >
                                  > Mike
                                  >

                                  > At 03:21 AM 3/31/2008, you wrote:
                                  >

                                  >>On Thursday 27 March 2008 01:00:48 pm Ken Bowles wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>>In my Missouri example, it was a human being that set off the alarm in a
                                  >>>Highway Patrol car. After the Trooper pulled the car over, he discovered a
                                  >>>man driving his wife home after a treatment. The story was told to me by
                                  >>>the Sergeant who was the Trooper while he and I were taking a class
                                  >>>together at EMI in Emmitsburg, MD. But that was around 1990 and perhaps
                                  >>>the sensors are now more selective, ha.
                                  >>
                                  >>I flew from Atlanta to Denver the day after a PET scan with no notice at
                                  >>either airport.
                                  >>
                                  >>--
                                  >>mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
                                  >><http://home.earthlink.net/~cness>http://home.earthlink.net/~cness
                                  >>the person not doing the work.
                                  >><http://www.flickr.com/photos/luxomni>http://www.flickr.com/photos/luxomni
                                  >>Holt's Law

                                  Happily turning electricity into RF energy and Avgas/JP5/JetA into
                                  thrust, for 40 years,on land, sea and air, both amateur and professional
                                  around the clock and around the world. GO NAVY!!!!

                                  KEEP CW ALIVE! Become an Elmer today!!! http://www.fists.org/
                                  SPEED KEY CERT CLF-23, FISTS #9404, SOWP #2417-M, VWOA (VETERAN
                                  MEMBER) , LIFE ARRL, QCWA 40 YR, NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER, LIFE GOA,
                                  AOPA,EAA. LIFE VVA #6093 CHAPT 67 ES ABOUT BOUCOUP OTHER GROUPS --HI--

                                  --Edmund Burke
                                  Greg Moore RADIO STATION NNN0BVN PA
                                  NCS/SHARES/ALE
                                  U.S. Navy-Marine Corps Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS)
                                  Official Pennsylvania Area Website:
                                  http://pages.prodigy.net/nnn0fbk/mars.htm
                                  Official Northeast Area Website:
                                  http://www.navymars.org/northeast/index.htm
                                  Navy-Marine Corps MARS: Proudly Serving Those Who Serve."
                                  E-Mail (MARS) nnn0bvn@...
                                  E-Mail (ARRL) wa3ivx@...
                                  For the former USS AMERICA (CVA-CV66) This one's for you!!

                                  NERK NERK NERK NIMK NIMK NIMK DE NMIB NMIB NMIB SK SK SK
                                • Mike Cowen
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
                                    I left out: the doctor did offer a clearance letter if I was to be
                                    travelling within 72 hrs. As was not the case, I declined. With
                                    much hindsight, it might have made an interesting souvenir.

                                    Might be worth a giggle if you could time the test (and get the
                                    letter!) the day before a Trinity Site tour... It would surprise me
                                    if WSMR was not heavily instrumented.

                                    Mike