Re: GEP Techncian Recruitment

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
      to be able to do all that with only a high school diploma
      wow

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "gartrel2001" <ken.dl5bk@...>
      wrote:

      > Check out http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:VM99l-
      > Bb5hMJ:nejoblink.dol.state.ne.us/js/js_print_job_detail.cfm%
      > 3Fjob_order_id%3D100874%26rand%
      > 3D1+Offutt+Northstar+Network&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
      >
      > Ken
      >
      > ----------
      >
      > Air/Ground Communications Technician
      >

      > JOB NUMBER: S-100874
      > JOB LOCATION: OFFUTT AFB
      > TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-Time
      > HOURLY SALARY: N/A to N/A
      > SHIFT: No Preference
      > HOURS PER WEEK: 35
      > REQUIRED EDUCATION: High School Diploma or Equivalent
      > HEALTH BENEFITS: No Preference
      > PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: Not Specified
      > CHILD CARE: Not Specified
      >
      > JOB DESCRIPTION:
      >
      > Candidates must possess a current government issued Top Secret
      > Clearance granted within the past five years, valid driver's
      license,
      > superior customer service skills, and a vast knowledge of radio
      > frequency (RF) communications and analog/digital
      telecommunications.
      > Candidates should have at leave five years experience installing,
      > operating, and maintaining communications circuits and equipment. A
      > thorough unerstanding of encryption, modulation, multiplexing, and
      > networking devices and theory are preferred. Experience as a cable
      > installer, system engineer, radio maintainer, COMSEC custodian,
      > Information Security Officer (ISO) or TACSAT operator is a plus.
      > Proficiencey with MS Office is also preferred. Provides critical
      > voice and data communications to high profile government airborne
      > customers. From a 24x7 Network Operations Center (NOC), they
      provide
      > communication services nation-wide via a diverse and robust network
      > of leased T1/T3 trunks and 24 Ground Entry Points (GEP)s.
      > Communications Technicians directly interface with the customer,
      turn-
      > up services, test circuitry, isolate faults, defer maintenance to
      > other offices, and prepare reports. They conduct demand and
      > preventive maintenance of all NORTHSTAR network equipment at two
      > Special Government Operations Centers and 24 GEPs geographically
      > located throughout the United States. Communications Technicians
      > deploy, install, operate, and maintain tactical satellite and RF
      > systems supporting government missions within the United States and
      > abroad. 15% travel is required. Flexible hours, shift work and
      > overtime may be required. Candidates must qualify on TS-Tab and
      TQTI

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
        .and lift 90 pounds!

        _____

        to be able to do all that with only a high school diploma
        wow

      • lasertower
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
          Study guides for the tests tS-tab etc

          http://www.bellsouth.com/employment/study_guides.htm

          I only messed up on one question, I wonder if they are still hiring?

          Steve
        • hooligan@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
            The AT&T Lamar site as of 2002 had a large above-ground presence, with
            plenty visible from the road, including the two 'soft' GEP antennas & the one
            'hard' array, the approx. 200' tall MW tower, an "AT&T Communications" decal on
            the mailbox along the road, and an "AT&T Communications" sign up on the
            freight elevator building.

            Tim

            In a message dated 2/4/2008 2:36:07 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            blkheart@... writes:

            What is the Lamar, CO site exactly? My boss actually went there said that
            this was nearly completely underground. You couldn't see anything from the
            road. He had to do some HVAC work there at one time when he had his security
            clearance. He never knew what it was but said it was decently sized.

            Earl

            Awards. Go to AOL Music.

          • Blake Bowers
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
              It is active at this point also.

              Don't take your organs to heaven,
              heaven knows we need them down here!

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                Modern technology is probably such that a telco site once requiring a staff
                of dozens of people might now just have 1 person there, whose primary
                function is to sweep the rat turds off the floor.

                I poked around there in the mid to late 1990s & what I decided must have
                been the GEP facility (1 story, small, windowless poured concrete structure)
                looked pretty abandoned. There was evidence of former CCTV coverage on the
                sturdy but rusty door & an old keypad type access that hadn't been used in a
                long time.

                Behind it, next to what was probably an air intake (I'm going on about 12
                year old memories now) was a fenced compound about 15'x15' that had an
                approximately 4' tall concrete pedestal in the center. An old 102" HF whip antenna
                was mounted to it, but I wonder if at one time it had a hardened MUX antenna?
                I got a fantastic view of the overall AT&T facility after climbing a
                tall, rickety old fire observation tower nearby, & never saw any hardened MUX
                antennas there.

                Tim

                In a message dated 2/4/2008 12:24:09 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                ken.dl5bk@... writes:

                Hillsboro is a puzzle to me.

                The parking lots are pretty much unused. However, everytime I've been there
                in the past year I have seen a telephone service vechile parked near the
                main entrance. And there have been three black SUVs parked in the lot away
                from the buildings and towers.

                A couple of the buildings and assumed support equipment for the underground
                portion seem to be decaying. Security is down . . . the main gate is always
                open . . . at least whenever I have been there. There is a camera in a
                modern housing.

                Awards. Go to AOL Music.

              • Earl Blackheart
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 13, 2008
                  Tim,

                  Thanks for the information. I talked to my boss about it a little more in
                  depth about it. Funny thing is, everyone in Larmar (where he is originally
                  from), which is a middle of nowhere town in se Colorado wondered what the
                  heck it was. He was sent out there to fix a few components of the HVAC
                  systems about 30 years ago or so and from what he told me it was a major
                  repair or three. He got into a little bit about it, but since its active,
                  I'll keep my peace about it. Overall, from what he was shown, it was
                  amazing. But as a native from that area, he was stunned that there was
                  something like this near his town. The thing that kept running through his
                  mind was "How in the hell did they build something like this without any of
                  the locals seeing anything." I asked him about if he saw any decals or what
                  have you of a company and he said that he didn't see any. But I had a hunch
                  this was an AT&T site, which I see I was correct. Again, thanks for the
                  info.

                  Earl