FLASH: CNN Special on Strategic Deterrence, etc. Sunday!

  • hooligan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2000
      Since the ability to command & control strategic forces during all phases
      of a conflict is a major aspect of deterrence, I hope this CNN special will
      deal a lot with C3,I issues that we'd be interested in.

      CNN Special Assignments aired a great documentary called 'Doomsday
      Government' on 17 November, 1991 & maybe they'll recycle some of the footage
      from that.

      Tim

      For nearly 50 years, the United States and the Soviet Union maintained a
      "delicate balance of
      terror." The threat of "Mutually Assured Destruction," or MAD served as a
      deterrent against the
      use of nuclear weapons by either side. Though the threat of nuclear war has
      faded, deterrence
      remains a centerpiece of American and Russian strategy. Is nuclear deterrence
      still a sound
      strategy, or is it an outdated system unable to adapt to a variety of
      potential enemies?

      The Special Report, "Rehearsing Doomsday," debuts on CNN Sunday October 15
      at 10 p.m. EDT.
      After the show, at 11 p.m. EDT, chat with The Heritage Foundation's Jack
      Spencer and The
      Federation of American Scientists' Henry Kelly about nuclear strategy