Re: [coldwarcomms] Lorton Bunker

  • hooligan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2008
      That was a very cool program (it first aired in I think Summer 2007), but I
      recall they were a little sloppy with some of their fact-checking.

      They kept referring to the DC EOC as being "classified," but I recall
      numerous open-source materials as early as at least the mid-1980s referring to
      the "Mayor's EOC" as being in Lorton, or specifically Lorton Jail.

      Albert has published photos of the site --which had been abandoned
      remarkably intact-- and there was a document or two appearing in his photos
      indicating the site had some sort of direct connection to the WH, though I'm not
      seeing the particular photograph that mentioned "CROWN" or another "C word"
      place at:
      _http://coldwar-c4i.net/DCEOC/index.html_
      (http://coldwar-c4i.net/DCEOC/index.html)

      Tim

      In a message dated 1/2/2008 7:20:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      ozob99@... writes:

      he History Channel had a "Lost Worlds" segment on US bunkers tonight
      featuring the Greenbriar, Cheyenne MT, the Palm Beach Kennedy bunker,
      and a newly declassified facility: the DC Gov't Emergency Ops Center
      under the old DC jail in Lorton,Va.

      The comms landlines to DC were provided by C&P Tel Co even though they
      were interstate because of a priviliged business arrangement
      called "corridors" between certain metro interstate areas such as DC-
      Baltimore; NY-NJ, DC-various VA/MD suburbs, allowing BOC's to provide
      interstate services; aka ACI(Associated Company Interstate) circuits.

      I'd guess this facility also had a few Long Lines NS/EP circuits
      providing connectivity with Mt Weather, et al.