Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Cold War AM Broadcast Stations

  • Gregory W. Moore
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 14, 2007
      GA,All

      Just wanted to let the list know that WIBG was THE station in my
      formative years (1950's early 1960's) I don't believe that there was one
      car that was owned by a young adult in those days which didn't have WIBG
      990 permanently tuned on the radio, and most, if not all of the portable
      radios (both transistor and for those who still had hollow state
      portables listened to it 24/7.

      Was at the studio and xmit site several times, both as a member of a
      garage band (If you must know, we were the "Undertakers" since we all
      worked both part and full time at a funeral home). Most of us "yutes"
      worked a few jobs, since they were plentiful back then, also worked for
      a TV repair shop and as nite mechanic at a gas station (remember them)
      and also as an "intern" since I was studying electronincs --hi--

      It was the only way I could get wheels (57 Chev Impala) worked to the
      gills, eventually morphing it's configuration into a 409, GMC371 blower
      and a deuce of Carter AFB carbs, with a completely self designed
      induction system including Nitrous, WALC (90% ethanol, 10% H2O) to cool
      the mix coming out of the blower, with a self designed injector plate
      which served me well later on during my aerospace/elecrical engineering
      career, and a small welded tank with an internal fuel bladder for
      Nitromethane...........The engine was totally reworked with components
      made to stand up to the stresses imposed.. had a 4 spd, with a 4:11 rear
      and a Vertex Magneto, with a homebrew hydraulic ignition advance/retard
      mechanism which would adjust the spark to the configuration used,
      depending on the switch position...The car had a bypass on the GMC
      blower alowing one to use natural induction....Like all 409's it had
      a lousy oil system to the rocker arms, and naturally, was fed by a
      bypass to overcome all the problems with the (usually) clogged

      What one did was select the configuration desired with a homebuilt
      console switchboard, only once in a while selecting the Nitromethane,
      and when one was ready to do some serious motoring, flipped the "master
      arm", checked the system pressures on the additional gauges, and then
      when all was ready, came off the line and pressed the switch just below
      the grip of the Hurst Mystery Shifter, and one immediately went into
      hyperdrive. Needless to say, the engine required a great deal of
      maintenance, but at the time, it was all I could afford (G0t most of the
      parts donated or liberated from various impound sites). The car was
      incredible, and it really hurt in '65 when I sold it to go into the
      military.....worst thing was the person who purchased it totaled the
      darn thing whithin 2 weeks, but thanks to the aircraft seats and harness
      walked away unhurt..... OPNOTE: since I was learning to be a pilot in
      those days, much of the stuff was milspec aircraft quality, and I do
      believe that it helped very much to keep the car in one piece...The WALC
      injection was my idea, and my first foray into exotic injector machining
      and fine tuning the flow rate... got the idea from the early rocket
      planes...and it turned out to be a very good idea, because it really
      cooled the mix coming off of the blower, added mass, and of course,
      added additional combustion.....

      Damn, the mention of WIBG brings back some seriously wonderful memories.

      It kinda helped me find Isabella (still the XYL) and when it finally
      went off the air, one felt like playing "TAPS"
      I really hope that talking about those days isnt\'t off topic, but they
      taught me a whole lot, engineering, what could be considered
      "electronics" in those days, welding, and a wholelbunch of other stuff

      I miss that damn Station, and things will never be the same afterward..

      73 de Greg "GW" Moore WA3IVX/NNN0BVN

      --

      Happily turning electricity into RF energy and Avgas/JP5/JetA into
      thrust, for 40 years,on land, sea and air, both amateur and professional

      KEEP CW ALIVE! Become an Elmer today!!! http://www.fists.org/
      FISTS #9404, SOWP #2417-M, VWOA (VETERAN MEMBER) , LIFE ARRL, QCWA 40
      YR, NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER, LIFE GOA, AOPA,EAA. LIFE VVA #6093 CHAPT 67 ES
      ABOUT BOUCOUP OTHER GROUPS --HI--

      --Edmund Burke
      Greg Moore RADIO STATION NNN0BVN PA
      NCS/SHARES/ALE
      U.S. Navy-Marine Corps Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS)
      Official Pennsylvania Area Website:
      http://pages.prodigy.net/nnn0fbk/mars.htm
      Official Northeast Area Website:
      http://www.navymars.org/northeast/index.htm
      Navy-Marine Corps MARS: Proudly Serving Those Who Serve."
      E-Mail (MARS) nnn0bvn@...
      E-Mail (ARRL) wa3ivx@...

      PRESERVATIONS OFFICER: USS AMERICA (CV/CVA-66) MUSEUM FOUNDATION
      Please visit us on the web at http://www.ussamerica-museumfoundation.org

      SIGN OUR GUESTBOOK! KEEP HER MEMORY ALIVE!

      NERK NERK NERK DE NMIB NMIB NMIB SK SK SK
    • Chris Ness
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
        On Wednesday 14 November 2007 04:13, Gregory W. Moore wrote:
        > GA,All

        "Keep your cool,
        Don't be a fool,
        and don't wear white socks"

        WIBG simply returned to its roots. I had been told in 1960 that the call
        letters originally stood for "Why I Believe (in) God" and that its origin was
        as a religious station.

        But who can forget its "Hops". The one I most remember was one I never went
        to -- the Collingwood fire house. They were always having one there.

        I had no idea we had so many Philidelphians here.

        --
        mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
        http://home.earthlink.net/~cness the person not doing the work.
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 28, 2007
          Sorry for the delay in replyng.

          WIBBAGE back then was one of the best oldies stations on AM radio.

          DJ 'John "Records" Landecker. Records truly is my middle name.'
          comes to mind.

          Of course this was before automation. Live was good. From time to
          time someone would screw up. "Is it live or is it Memorex"

          Ken

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Fargis" <lackey91@...>

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 28, 2007
            Not exactly WIBG but WFIL the 'other' channel. Take a listen to a
            promo in the 'files' area called WFIL.WAV

            Kind of cool.

            I also enjoyed (ABC) WFIL when was at 46th. & Market St. The home
            of 'American Bandstand'. Got out there once to see the place. By
            todays standards it was really old. Old huge RCA TK-42 color
            cameras huge hot studio lights and most everything back then (early
            1960's) was vacuum tubes. For the New Years parade they had to setup
            the cameras and the mobile trunk the day before so they would
            stabalize and produce the correct colors. They used to cover the
            cameras so they would stay warm...

            Ken

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory W. Moore" <gwmoore@...>

            ********************************

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 28, 2007
              Unfortunately 'Hops' was just a little before I could appreciate it.

              Yes, WIBG did mean that originally!

              Philadelphia was a great place and had a lot of cool things like
              Tastykake. Yum yum. Today it would be considered heart attack in a
              wrapper. Remember back then they wrapped the stuff in waxed paper?
              I mean when I was a kid get a Tastykake and a Hires Root Beer for
              like 20 cents... Actually I can remember going to the store and
              getting a Hogie for 45 cents.

              And music groups like TSOP The Sound Of Philadelphia, The Four
              Seasons. Phila. had a couple of good recording studios.

              Time to kill, ride the Frankfort El. Get off at the one the cross
              over stations and cheat and ride back on the same fare.

              If you were real creative you could get the 59 bus at Castor &
              Cottman ave. Get a transfer. Ride to Fanskfort. Using the transfer
              get on the El. Hop off real quick at 5th. & Market get another
              transfer from the little machine. Get back on the El. Get off at City
              Hall. Use your new transfer to get on the Broad St. Subway. Ride it
              to Fernrock. Get off and catch the Y bus using your transfer and in
              short order you were back where you start from all on one
              token. "token?"

              Ken

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Chris Ness <mness215@...> wrote:

              > On Wednesday 14 November 2007 04:13, Gregory W. Moore wrote:
              > > GA,All
              >
              > "Keep your cool,
              > Don't be a fool,
              > and don't wear white socks"
              >
              > WIBG simply returned to its roots. I had been told in 1960 that the
              call
              > letters originally stood for "Why I Believe (in) God" and that its
              origin was
              > as a religious station.
              >
              > But who can forget its "Hops". The one I most remember was one I
              never went
              > to -- the Collingwood fire house. They were always having one there.
              >
              > I had no idea we had so many Philidelphians here.
              >
              > --
              > mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
              > http://home.earthlink.net/~cness the person not doing
              the work.
              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/luxomni Holt's Law

            • dllewiszz
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 28, 2007
                I'm brand new here, and think maybe I'm seeing double. An almost
                verbatim discussion took place last week on another e-newsletter
                regarding Philly. Folks actually discussed the origin of the WIBG
                call, and a discussion about the Phila rock & roll scene ensued as
                well ... Interesting coincidence ....

                -- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "kemartinatsnetnet"

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 29, 2007
                  What was the other e-newsletter (URL if possible)?

                  Thanks

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dllewiszz" <dllewiszz@...>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                    On Wednesday 28 November 2007 15:48, kemartinatsnetnet wrote:
                    > Sorry for the delay in replyng.
                    >
                    > WIBBAGE back then was one of the best oldies stations on AM radio.

                    We didn't think of them as oldies in the early sixties -- they were the "Top
                    99" on WIBG.