AT&T Tower Strobes

  • lasertower
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 29, 2007
      Who made the common strobe used on AT&T towers? It has a rather
      distinctive flash rate and energy that I look for when tower hunting.

      Steve Roberts
    • Blake Bowers
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 29, 2007
        Hughey and Phillips provided most of the retrofits.

        > Who made the common strobe used on AT&T towers? It has a rather
        > distinctive flash rate and energy that I look for when tower hunting.
        >
        > Steve Roberts
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • james kester
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 29, 2007
          Which FAA requirement circa?

          Hughey & Phillips, or

          lasertower <osr@...> wrote: Who made the common strobe used on AT&T towers? It has a rather

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 29, 2007
            late 80s early 90s.
            Steve
          • lasertower
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 29, 2007
              The one with the low energy long pulse composed of several flashes at
              night.

              Steve Roberts
            • dsss_communications
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5 8:59 AM
                Hughey & Phillips lighting was bought out by Honeywell Obstruction
                Lighting div Honeywell Airport Systems. Now you can obtain very
                expensive replacement parts for both products (heh).

                The original multiple-flash technology stemmed from the older Honeywell
                LS-158 (now L-856/L-857 StrobeGuard) systems back in the 80's. The
                difference between the Hughey & Phillips units and the Honeywell ones
                was that Honeywell concentrated more on discrete directional lampheads
                with one linear flashtube while Hughey & Phillips made theirs to cover
                360 degrees with three linear flashtubes arranged around sort of a
                toroidal parabaliod reflector. Then they went on to stack two of the
                reflectors one above the other and surround one of them with a red lens
                for nighttime use. That was the multiple flash one. I have both types
                on 500 and 800 foot towers up here in Montana.

                Also, the AT&T sites up here use strobes made by Flash Technology. They
                are similar to the Hughey & Phillps lampheads but are a single white
                flash both day and night.

                Greg

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "lasertower" <osr@...> wrote:

                > Who made the common strobe used on AT&T towers? It has a rather
                > distinctive flash rate and energy that I look for when tower hunting.
                >
                > Steve Roberts

              • Blake Bowers
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5 9:10 AM
                  > Hughey & Phillips lighting was bought out by Honeywell Obstruction
                  > Lighting div Honeywell Airport Systems. Now you can obtain very
                  > expensive replacement parts for both products (heh).

                  http://www.itl-llc.com/index.shtml

                  is a great alternative to going directly to Honeywell.

                  > Also, the AT&T sites up here use strobes made by Flash Technology. They
                  > are similar to the Hughey & Phillps lampheads but are a single white
                  > flash both day and night.

                  Most of the Flash units are on towers that were sold to ATC. They were
                  pretty agressive on not fixing, but replacing with Flash.
                • dsss_communications
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5 9:39 AM
                    I've used ITL for some parts but they don't have complete spares. It
                    is sort of a pick-and-choose situation. The tubes are cheaper as are
                    those from Xenon Corporation (they don't advertise replacement tubes)
                    over the Honeywell counterparts but care has to be exercised when
                    trying to find economical alternatives to the OEM parts.

                    (http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/06jun20041800/edocket.access.
                    gpo.gov/2004/pdf/04-13718.pdf)

                    The AT&T towers up here used to have incandescents. They were
                    replaced with strobes sometime in the past and one particular tower I
                    was on a week ago had a very new Flash Technology lamphead
                    installed. Obviously it is easier to use strobes since most of the
                    time the need for tower painting is eliminated and the AT&T towers up
                    here are shedding most of their paint nowadays.

                    Greg

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 5 11:25 AM
                      I recall that some AT&T incandescent tower lights in the 50's, maybe up
                      to the 70's, were flashed with a mechanically driven rocker with glass
                      mercury pool switches; don't recall who made them.
                    • Blake Bowers
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 5 11:38 AM
                        Still some out there......

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 5 11:46 AM
                          One manufacturer was Hughey and Phillips, of Burbank, CA. I have a complete unit for display in our
                          (future) telecom museum.

                          Just as you described, the flasher is a tubular mercury switch which is rocked "teeter-totter" style
                          by a small motor, sort of like an oil-well pump.

                          I recall that some AT&T incandescent tower lights in the 50's, maybe up
                          to the 70's, were flashed with a mechanically driven rocker with glass
                          mercury pool switches; don't recall who made them.
                        • blitz
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 5 1:17 PM
                            We had those at Sprint, and I believe Paragon made them. (The timer people)