Two arrested for copper theft from OTH-B transmit site

  • tarfh
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2007
      Heard on the morning radio news this morning but haven't found online
      text to fill in the details.

      Two men were arrested near Christmas Valley, Oregon by a Lake County
      Sheriff's deputy for stealing copper from the former Air Force Over The
      Horizon Backscatter Radar transmitter facility at Christmas Valley.
      They had so much copper on their pickup and trailer that the trailer
      hitch was "almost dragging the ground."

      The driver was arrested for possession of methanphetetamine, vandalism,
      theft and other things. The passenger was arrested for all the same
      except the drug charge. They have been booked into the Lake County
      jail.
    • james kester
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2007
        I'm going to add my 2 cents to this with a short story.

        In 1981, my company was relocating communications telescope from Maryland
        to Homestead Florida. Part of the components were the telescope counterweight
        lead. Approximately, 850 One Hundred Fifty Pound Ingots made of this
        component. Most marked with a naval mint mark.
        After dismantling the counterweight, the crew stored the ingots on-site
        unprotected? Why would you, since an ingot maybe was worth $5.

        Now remember each ingot was about 150# /each. So do the math...

        The tower crew left the site on Saturday night at 430 PM. (Always worked 6 - 10 hr days.)
        The crew returned Monday at 8AM and discovered someone had worked very very very hard over the weekend. Recognizing the voracity which the culprits worked,
        the first thought was, how can we hire these dip shits for future tower jobs?
        Ground squirrels to shake out steel were in high demand since boom trucks were scarce in those days.

        The site road was about 6 miles and very rutted.

        The ingots were behind a locked crane so the rockets scientists who did the deed, had to carry the ingots about 125' over piles of steel to where the police
        indicated they loaded it.
        They further determined a car like a 1979 Lemans was used to drive the stuff away.

        To make a long story short, the Feds solved the crime around 11 months later.
        The "goods" were located at a metal recycling facility 71 miles from the site location. I wonder if these gippos made separate car trips when they fenced it?

        tarfh <tarfh@...> wrote: Heard on the morning radio news this morning but haven't found online

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2007
          Well, today's Klamath Falls Herald and News tells a completely
          different story - no mention of the OTHB as even being a victim ("no
          victims have been identified"), and the officer that stopped them was
          an Oregon State Police Trooper, not a Lake County Sheriff's Deputy,
          and no mention of an accomplice - but since I started the post, here
          it is anyway:

          "OSP trooper pulls over suspected copper thief
          "3 p.m., Monday, Oct. 15, 2007

          "A driver of a pickup was hauling enough suspected stolen copper wire
          Sunday afternoon that its wheels nearly gave out on the highway,
          Oregon State Police reported.

          "Authorities believe driver Peter Sharipoff, 36, of Mt. Angel stole
          the copper wire and are searching for victims. So far, they haven't
          identified any victims.

          "Sharipoff's pickup was pulled over on Highway 395 about four miles
          east of Christmas Valley for nearly dragging its trailer hitch on the
          highway. During the traffic stop, a trooper uncovered methamphetamine
          and charged Sharipoff with unlawful possession of meth, according to
          an OSP news release.

          "Authorities think Sharipoff traveled to remote locations to obtain
          copper to sell to scrap dealers or smelters. Anyone with information
          should call Trooper Weaver through the OSP southern command dispatch
          center at (800) 442-2068 and reference case No. SP07-4422068."