Re: [coldwarcomms] Motorola MICOM-1 anecdotes wanted!

  • John Flood
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 15, 2007
      cool to see the unit - very tidy - Watkins Johnson used to make a similar
      unit for a highly programmable HF scanner. told it was used in spook
      operations for burst signals. i used it to track eams from hotel rooms in
      strange places - regards//j o h n

      On 10/15/07, Bob Sayers <bobsayers2000@...> wrote:

      > I'd no sooner posted my reply to mark when I came
      > across this Link, with an excellent photograph:
      >
      > http://www.radiomilitari.com/micom1.html
      >
      > best regards,
      >
      > Bob

    • james kester
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 18, 2007
        The ones I personally had responsibility for were designated for one task.
        COG during disasters.

        Mark Foster <mcfoster@...> wrote:
        The 100W HF radio in a suitcase (sometimes referred to as
        an Embassy Radio) that I am familiar with is/was made by Transworld.

        Do you have a photo of the radio.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 16, 2008
          Here's an interesting article from the December 1953 RCA Review about the
          company's shortwave station in Tangier, part of the worldwide RCA network:

          http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/RCA-Review-1953-12/p557.html

        • Sheldon Daitch
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 17, 2008
            Albert,

            I forwarded the link to a few of the folks and work,
            and some of them remember it. I know the general
            area, and we go by it on the way to work. I am told
            some of the buildings and maybe even some of the old
            rhombic antenna supports may still be on the site, so
            I think I have a mission this weekend.

            Sheldon

            --- Albert LaFrance <albert.lafrance@...>
            wrote:

            > Here's an interesting article from the December 1953
            > RCA Review about the
            > company's shortwave station in Tangier, part of the
            > worldwide RCA network:

            http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/RCA-Review-1953-12/p557.html

            > Albert

            > removed]

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Michael Harpe
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 17, 2008
              I'd sure like to see a picture of that RCA receiver station on Long Island that
              was discussed in the article.

              That's a great article!

              Mike Harpe, N4PLE
              Sellersburg, IN

            • hooligan@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 17, 2008
                My Air Force Communications-Electronics Doctrine Manual 'ARMY, NAVY AND
                COMMERCIAL COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS (AFM 100-33) from 1960 has a pretty detailed
                section on RCA.

                Here are some very brief, related quotes:

                **************
                Facilities

                Headquarters -- The headquarters, and main operating terminal of RCA
                Communications., Inc. are at 66 Broad Street, New York...

                New York -- The New York terminal is linked by microwave radio with remote
                transmitting and receiving stations at Rocky Point and Riverhead, Long
                Island...

                International -- RCA operates its own international communications
                facilities in Guam, Morocco, Hawaii, Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic,
                and the Philippines. Elsewhere abroad, the distant terminals of RCA
                circuits are operated by local agencies, usually government owned.

                Alternate Routes -- As further insurance of the dependability of its
                circuits, the company operates a relay station in Tangier, Morocco. This
                installation provides radio routes for traffic flowing between the United States and
                Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. The Tangier station also assists in
                maintaining communications continually between the United States and transatlantic
                points regardless of radio weather conditions. Another installation at
                Manila in the Philippine Republic assures uninterrupted communications with
                transpacific points.

                ****************

                I believe their old station at Riverhead, Long Island NY is the one now
                used by ARINC for HF Datalink service with commercial customers, among perhaps
                other commercial use. There are several old HF radio sites on Long Island.

                As for the Tangiers site, I assume it'll be pretty easy to spot using
                Google Earth, thanks to the map in the article that Albert has scanned & made
                available on his web site.

                Tim

                _http://coldwar-http://coldwar-http://colhttp://coldhttp://coldwahttp_
                (http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/RCA-Review-1953-12/p557.html)

              • mstangelo@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 18, 2008
                  Tim,

                  I worked for the other large international carrier, ITT World Communications. Our headquarters was across the street from RCA , at 60 Broad Street. Does your manual have any information about ITT?

                  The ITT HF transmitting station was located in Hauppauge and the receiving station in Southampton, Long Island. I visited the receiving station before it closed down in the late 1970's. We operated WSL, a coastal marine telegraph station. We also handled ARINC HF communications. ARINC had their receivers at Southamption. During my visit, ARINC called the station and asked the operators to adjust one the their receivers.

                  The HF station used to handle point to point traffic but by this time everything had migrated to cable or satellite. Their was one exception. The ITT station still maintained an HF point-to-point teletype "diplomatic" circuit from NY to Cuba. They used two 1950-60 era Hammarlund Super-Pro vacumn tube receivers in a diversity receiving setup with a Northern Electric Oscillator as an external local oscillator for stability.

                  The Cuban government did not want to move the circuit from HF and ITT had to honor this. ITT wanted to close the station and sell the land. They could not do this until they could relocate the HF station. (I believe that WLO in Mobile Alabama too over operation of this circuit, could anyone confirm this?)

                  Today, the ARINC station is located on a new location between Riverhead and the south shore on Long Island.

                  Regard's

                  Mike

                  From: hooligan@...

                • mstangelo@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 18, 2008
                    Correction. ITT World Communications was at 67 Broad Street...

                    Mike

                    From: hooligan@...

                    > My Air Force Communications-Electronics Doctrine Manual 'ARMY, NAVY AND
                    > COMMERCIAL COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS (AFM 100-33) from 1960 has a pretty detailed
                    > section on RCA.
                    >
                    > Here are some very brief, related quotes:

                  • Craig Scott
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 18, 2008
                      Hello group,
                      I just "Googled" around Riverhead and found to the south of Riverhead, just north of the junction of Quogue-Riverhead Rd. (104) and Old Riverhead Rd. what could be ARINC. There are multiple towers and what appears from the shadow to be microwave link. It's just a clear patch in the middle of the woods. There is just a dirt road off of 104 and as I zoomed in, could see no sign at the entrance. A big secret except for all those towers!
                      Craig Scott

                      From: hooligan@...

                      > My Air Force Communications-Electronics Doctrine Manual 'ARMY, NAVY AND
                      > COMMERCIAL COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS (AFM 100-33) from 1960 has a pretty detailed
                      > section on RCA.
                      >
                      > Here are some very brief, related quotes:

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 18, 2008
                        Bob Delgatto on the BoatAnchors list pointed me to http://rcaglobal.com
                        <http://rcaglobal.com/> , a site for retirees of RCA Communications. It has
                        numerous photos of RCA employees, and several 1940s issues of the company's
                        internal magazine, "Relay".

                        Albert

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 29, 2008
                          Sheldon Daitch has contributed a great set of recent images showing the
                          remains of the station:

                          http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/index.html

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 2 5:43 PM
                            More on RCA Rocky Point & Riverhead:

                            http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioAge-1953-10.pdf p11

                            http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioAge-1946-07.pdf p16-17

                            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, hooligan@... wrote:

                            > My Air Force Communications-Electronics Doctrine Manual 'ARMY, NAVY AND
                            > COMMERCIAL COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS (AFM 100-33) from 1960 has a pretty detailed
                            > section on RCA.
                            >
                            > Here are some very brief, related quotes:
                            >
                            > **************
                            > Facilities
                            >
                            > Headquarters -- The headquarters, and main operating terminal of RCA
                            > Communications., Inc. are at 66 Broad Street, New York...
                            >
                            > New York -- The New York terminal is linked by microwave radio with remote
                            > transmitting and receiving stations at Rocky Point and Riverhead, Long
                            > Island...
                            >
                            > International -- RCA operates its own international communications
                            > facilities in Guam, Morocco, Hawaii, Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic,
                            > and the Philippines. Elsewhere abroad, the distant terminals of RCA
                            > circuits are operated by local agencies, usually government owned.
                            >
                            > Alternate Routes -- As further insurance of the dependability of its
                            > circuits, the company operates a relay station in Tangier, Morocco. This
                            > installation provides radio routes for traffic flowing between the United States and
                            > Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. The Tangier station also assists in
                            > maintaining communications continually between the United States and transatlantic
                            > points regardless of radio weather conditions. Another installation at
                            > Manila in the Philippine Republic assures uninterrupted communications with
                            > transpacific points.
                            >
                            > ****************
                            >

                            > I believe their old station at Riverhead, Long Island NY is the one now
                            > used by ARINC for HF Datalink service with commercial customers, among perhaps
                            > other commercial use. There are several old HF radio sites on Long Island.
                            >
                            > As for the Tangiers site, I assume it'll be pretty easy to spot using
                            > Google Earth, thanks to the map in the article that Albert has scanned & made
                            > available on his web site.
                            >

                            > Tim
                            >

                            > In a message dated 1/16/2008 7:19:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                            > albert.lafrance@... writes:
                            >

                            > Here's an interesting article from the December 1953 RCA Review about the
                            > company's shortwave station in Tangier, part of the worldwide RCA network:
                            >
                            > _http://coldwar-http://coldwar-http://colhttp://coldhttp://coldwahttp_
                            > (http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/RCA-Review-1953-12/p557.html)
                            >
                            > Albert

                            > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.

                          • Sheldon Daitch
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 3 2:04 PM
                              The Tangier RCA site is virtually invisible now, with all the development in the area, according to my contacts in Tangier and looking at the current Google Earth shot, remnants of the old receiver site are visible.  The TX site is gone.

                              If you go back to earlier Google Earth photos, say, back to 2003, the RCA operational complex is very visible.

                               The RCA transmitter building complex is at:

                              35 41 12.74N 5 57 09.37W

                              The RCA receiver building complex is at:

                              35 41 32.05N  5 57 00.52W

                              VOA was in the neighborhood, for pretty much the same reason as RCA, a decent HF propagation path from the US.

                              The old VOA Tangier receiving site is at:

                              35 43 22.88N  5 52 01.14W

                              The old VOA Tangier transmitter site is at:

                              35 38 42.16N  5 54 49.25W

                              The two VOA sites look pretty much the same in the latest Google Earth shots as they did in the earliest Google Earth shots.  Guess that comes from not have beachfront property.

                              Tooting my own horn, here is a link to a number of photos I took at the RCA sites in 2008:

                              http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/index.html

                              73

                              Sheldon

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 4, 2014
                                Another article on Tangier radio:

                                http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioAge-1954-04.pdf
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 5, 2014
                                  More on the NY-Riverhead microwave link:

                                  http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Electronic-Engineering/Radio-Electronic-Engineering-1954-09.pdf

                                  P 7

                                  Also note the Lenkurt 72 microwave on cover.
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 21