Motorola MICOM-1 anecdotes wanted!

  • Bob Sayers
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 13, 2007
      Hi, Guys,

      I'm preparing an article on the MICOM-1 (the 150W HF radio packaged
      in an aluminium suitcase) which is a fairly rare beast in the UK -
      Motorola UK themselves had no knowledge of it whatosever and told me
      that "no MICOMs existed in the UK" in spite of my knowing of the
      existence of at least one other Model 1, and having used (much)
      later models in RAF Mountain Rescue support vehicles.

      I believe the model 1 was principally used by various US Federal
      organisations (mine came up with a message of "connecting to West
      Coast Network" when I first turned it on ...) but can any of you
      offer me any more information on it's usage?

      best regards,

      Bob
    • rahwayflynn
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 13, 2007
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Sayers" <bobsayers2000@...>
        wrote:
        > I believe the model 1 was principally used by various US Federal
        > organisations (mine came up with a message of "connecting to West
        > Coast Network" when I first turned it on ...) but can any of you
        > offer me any more information on it's usage?

        I would stop by batlabs.com. The crew there is the defacto source on
        exotic Motorola gear (and helped me out with my MICOM-X radio).
      • Don Wisdom
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 13, 2007
          The Micom line is also used a lot in backcountry radio telephone work. I
          have 3 of them. Thee people who run the radiophone phone patch have 2
          more.
          --Don

          On 10/13/07 11:56 AM, "rahwayflynn" <maflynn@...> wrote:

          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Sayers" <bobsayers2000@...>
          > wrote:
          >> I believe the model 1 was principally used by various US Federal
          >> organisations (mine came up with a message of "connecting to West
          >> Coast Network" when I first turned it on ...) but can any of you
          >> offer me any more information on it's usage?
          >
          > I would stop by batlabs.com. The crew there is the defacto source on
          > exotic Motorola gear (and helped me out with my MICOM-X radio).
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > !SIG:47110872112748718434930!

        • Mark Foster
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 15, 2007
            The 100W HF radio in a suitcase (sometimes referred to as
            an Embassy Radio) that I am familiar with is/was made by Transworld.

            Do you have a photo of the radio.

            At 10:43 AM 10/13/2007, you wrote:

            >Hi, Guys,
            >
            >I'm preparing an article on the MICOM-1 (the 150W HF radio packaged
            >in an aluminium suitcase) which is a fairly rare beast in the UK -
            >Motorola UK themselves had no knowledge of it whatosever and told me
            >that "no MICOMs existed in the UK" in spite of my knowing of the
            >existence of at least one other Model 1, and having used (much)
            >later models in RAF Mountain Rescue support vehicles.
            >
            >I believe the model 1 was principally used by various US Federal
            >organisations (mine came up with a message of "connecting to West
            >Coast Network" when I first turned it on ...) but can any of you
            >offer me any more information on it's usage?
            >
            >best regards,
            >
            >Bob

          • Bob Sayers
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 15, 2007
              I'd no sooner posted my reply to mark when I came
              across this Link, with an excellent photograph:

              http://www.radiomilitari.com/micom1.html

              best regards,

              Bob

              http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
            • John Flood
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 15, 2007
                cool to see the unit - very tidy - Watkins Johnson used to make a similar
                unit for a highly programmable HF scanner. told it was used in spook
                operations for burst signals. i used it to track eams from hotel rooms in
                strange places - regards//j o h n

                On 10/15/07, Bob Sayers <bobsayers2000@...> wrote:

                > I'd no sooner posted my reply to mark when I came
                > across this Link, with an excellent photograph:
                >
                > http://www.radiomilitari.com/micom1.html
                >
                > best regards,
                >
                > Bob

              • james kester
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 18, 2007
                  The ones I personally had responsibility for were designated for one task.
                  COG during disasters.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 16, 2008
                    Here's an interesting article from the December 1953 RCA Review about the
                    company's shortwave station in Tangier, part of the worldwide RCA network:

                    http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/RCA-Review-1953-12/p557.html

                  • Sheldon Daitch
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 17, 2008
                      Albert,

                      I forwarded the link to a few of the folks and work,
                      and some of them remember it. I know the general
                      area, and we go by it on the way to work. I am told
                      some of the buildings and maybe even some of the old
                      rhombic antenna supports may still be on the site, so
                      I think I have a mission this weekend.

                      Sheldon

                      --- Albert LaFrance <albert.lafrance@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Here's an interesting article from the December 1953
                      > RCA Review about the
                      > company's shortwave station in Tangier, part of the
                      > worldwide RCA network:

                      http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/RCA-Review-1953-12/p557.html

                      > Albert

                      > removed]

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Michael Harpe
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 17, 2008
                        I'd sure like to see a picture of that RCA receiver station on Long Island that
                        was discussed in the article.

                        That's a great article!

                        Mike Harpe, N4PLE
                        Sellersburg, IN

                      • hooligan@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 17, 2008
                          My Air Force Communications-Electronics Doctrine Manual 'ARMY, NAVY AND
                          COMMERCIAL COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS (AFM 100-33) from 1960 has a pretty detailed
                          section on RCA.

                          Here are some very brief, related quotes:

                          **************
                          Facilities

                          Headquarters -- The headquarters, and main operating terminal of RCA
                          Communications., Inc. are at 66 Broad Street, New York...

                          New York -- The New York terminal is linked by microwave radio with remote
                          transmitting and receiving stations at Rocky Point and Riverhead, Long
                          Island...

                          International -- RCA operates its own international communications
                          facilities in Guam, Morocco, Hawaii, Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic,
                          and the Philippines. Elsewhere abroad, the distant terminals of RCA
                          circuits are operated by local agencies, usually government owned.

                          Alternate Routes -- As further insurance of the dependability of its
                          circuits, the company operates a relay station in Tangier, Morocco. This
                          installation provides radio routes for traffic flowing between the United States and
                          Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. The Tangier station also assists in
                          maintaining communications continually between the United States and transatlantic
                          points regardless of radio weather conditions. Another installation at
                          Manila in the Philippine Republic assures uninterrupted communications with
                          transpacific points.

                          ****************

                          I believe their old station at Riverhead, Long Island NY is the one now
                          used by ARINC for HF Datalink service with commercial customers, among perhaps
                          other commercial use. There are several old HF radio sites on Long Island.

                          As for the Tangiers site, I assume it'll be pretty easy to spot using
                          Google Earth, thanks to the map in the article that Albert has scanned & made
                          available on his web site.

                          Tim

                          _http://coldwar-http://coldwar-http://colhttp://coldhttp://coldwahttp_
                          (http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/RCA-Review-1953-12/p557.html)

                        • mstangelo@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 18, 2008
                            Tim,

                            I worked for the other large international carrier, ITT World Communications. Our headquarters was across the street from RCA , at 60 Broad Street. Does your manual have any information about ITT?

                            The ITT HF transmitting station was located in Hauppauge and the receiving station in Southampton, Long Island. I visited the receiving station before it closed down in the late 1970's. We operated WSL, a coastal marine telegraph station. We also handled ARINC HF communications. ARINC had their receivers at Southamption. During my visit, ARINC called the station and asked the operators to adjust one the their receivers.

                            The HF station used to handle point to point traffic but by this time everything had migrated to cable or satellite. Their was one exception. The ITT station still maintained an HF point-to-point teletype "diplomatic" circuit from NY to Cuba. They used two 1950-60 era Hammarlund Super-Pro vacumn tube receivers in a diversity receiving setup with a Northern Electric Oscillator as an external local oscillator for stability.

                            The Cuban government did not want to move the circuit from HF and ITT had to honor this. ITT wanted to close the station and sell the land. They could not do this until they could relocate the HF station. (I believe that WLO in Mobile Alabama too over operation of this circuit, could anyone confirm this?)

                            Today, the ARINC station is located on a new location between Riverhead and the south shore on Long Island.

                            Regard's

                            Mike

                            From: hooligan@...

                          • mstangelo@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 18, 2008
                              Correction. ITT World Communications was at 67 Broad Street...

                              Mike

                              From: hooligan@...

                              > My Air Force Communications-Electronics Doctrine Manual 'ARMY, NAVY AND
                              > COMMERCIAL COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS (AFM 100-33) from 1960 has a pretty detailed
                              > section on RCA.
                              >
                              > Here are some very brief, related quotes:

                            • Craig Scott
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 18, 2008
                                Hello group,
                                I just "Googled" around Riverhead and found to the south of Riverhead, just north of the junction of Quogue-Riverhead Rd. (104) and Old Riverhead Rd. what could be ARINC. There are multiple towers and what appears from the shadow to be microwave link. It's just a clear patch in the middle of the woods. There is just a dirt road off of 104 and as I zoomed in, could see no sign at the entrance. A big secret except for all those towers!
                                Craig Scott

                                From: hooligan@...

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 18, 2008
                                  Bob Delgatto on the BoatAnchors list pointed me to http://rcaglobal.com
                                  <http://rcaglobal.com/> , a site for retirees of RCA Communications. It has
                                  numerous photos of RCA employees, and several 1940s issues of the company's
                                  internal magazine, "Relay".

                                  Albert

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 29, 2008
                                    Sheldon Daitch has contributed a great set of recent images showing the
                                    remains of the station:

                                    http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/index.html

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 2, 2013
                                      More on RCA Rocky Point & Riverhead:

                                      http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioAge-1953-10.pdf p11

                                      http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioAge-1946-07.pdf p16-17

                                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, hooligan@... wrote:

                                      > My Air Force Communications-Electronics Doctrine Manual 'ARMY, NAVY AND
                                      > COMMERCIAL COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS (AFM 100-33) from 1960 has a pretty detailed
                                      > section on RCA.
                                      >
                                      > Here are some very brief, related quotes:
                                      >
                                      > **************
                                      > Facilities
                                      >
                                      > Headquarters -- The headquarters, and main operating terminal of RCA
                                      > Communications., Inc. are at 66 Broad Street, New York...
                                      >
                                      > New York -- The New York terminal is linked by microwave radio with remote
                                      > transmitting and receiving stations at Rocky Point and Riverhead, Long
                                      > Island...
                                      >
                                      > International -- RCA operates its own international communications
                                      > facilities in Guam, Morocco, Hawaii, Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic,
                                      > and the Philippines. Elsewhere abroad, the distant terminals of RCA
                                      > circuits are operated by local agencies, usually government owned.
                                      >
                                      > Alternate Routes -- As further insurance of the dependability of its
                                      > circuits, the company operates a relay station in Tangier, Morocco. This
                                      > installation provides radio routes for traffic flowing between the United States and
                                      > Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. The Tangier station also assists in
                                      > maintaining communications continually between the United States and transatlantic
                                      > points regardless of radio weather conditions. Another installation at
                                      > Manila in the Philippine Republic assures uninterrupted communications with
                                      > transpacific points.
                                      >
                                      > ****************
                                      >

                                      > I believe their old station at Riverhead, Long Island NY is the one now
                                      > used by ARINC for HF Datalink service with commercial customers, among perhaps
                                      > other commercial use. There are several old HF radio sites on Long Island.
                                      >
                                      > As for the Tangiers site, I assume it'll be pretty easy to spot using
                                      > Google Earth, thanks to the map in the article that Albert has scanned & made
                                      > available on his web site.
                                      >

                                      > Tim
                                      >

                                      > In a message dated 1/16/2008 7:19:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                      > albert.lafrance@... writes:
                                      >

                                      > Here's an interesting article from the December 1953 RCA Review about the
                                      > company's shortwave station in Tangier, part of the worldwide RCA network:
                                      >
                                      > _http://coldwar-http://coldwar-http://colhttp://coldhttp://coldwahttp_
                                      > (http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/RCA-Review-1953-12/p557.html)
                                      >
                                      > Albert

                                      > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.

                                    • Sheldon Daitch
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 3, 2013
                                        The Tangier RCA site is virtually invisible now, with all the development in the area, according to my contacts in Tangier and looking at the current Google Earth shot, remnants of the old receiver site are visible.  The TX site is gone.

                                        If you go back to earlier Google Earth photos, say, back to 2003, the RCA operational complex is very visible.

                                         The RCA transmitter building complex is at:

                                        35 41 12.74N 5 57 09.37W

                                        The RCA receiver building complex is at:

                                        35 41 32.05N  5 57 00.52W

                                        VOA was in the neighborhood, for pretty much the same reason as RCA, a decent HF propagation path from the US.

                                        The old VOA Tangier receiving site is at:

                                        35 43 22.88N  5 52 01.14W

                                        The old VOA Tangier transmitter site is at:

                                        35 38 42.16N  5 54 49.25W

                                        The two VOA sites look pretty much the same in the latest Google Earth shots as they did in the earliest Google Earth shots.  Guess that comes from not have beachfront property.

                                        Tooting my own horn, here is a link to a number of photos I took at the RCA sites in 2008:

                                        http://coldwar-c4i.net/TangierRadioRelay/index.html

                                        73

                                        Sheldon

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 4, 2014
                                          Another article on Tangier radio:

                                          http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioAge-1954-04.pdf
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 5, 2014
                                            More on the NY-Riverhead microwave link:

                                            http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Electronic-Engineering/Radio-Electronic-Engineering-1954-09.pdf

                                            P 7

                                            Also note the Lenkurt 72 microwave on cover.
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 21, 2015