Re: [coldwarcomms] Possible GWEN Sites?

  • combatsent@uswest.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 10, 2000
      If you take time to read all of the docs, you can learn how
      to populate a Microsoft Access Database.
      They have some example and lots of docs.

      Mark Foster wrote:

      [eGroups] My Groups | coldwarcomms Main Page | Start a
      new group!

      --
      Bill Boltinghouse
      ex-USAF Security Service

      http://www.ec47.com/

      QTH: Council Bluffs Iowa --- 10 miles north of Offutt AFB

      Web Sites
      http://www.users.uswest.net/~combatsent
      http://www.geocities.com/combat_sent_bill/
      http://users3.50megs.com/combatsent/
      http://users3.50megs.com/superspy/
      http://users4.50megs.com/fedcom2000/
      http://users4.50megs.com/ncamonitor00/
      http://users4.50megs.com/ncamonitor99
      eGroups
      http://www.egroups.com/group/fedcom2000
      http://www.egroups.com/group/naoc-tacamo-monitor
      http://www.egroups.com/group/RC135SNOOP
      http://www.egroups.com/group/militarymonitoring
      http://www.egroups.com/group/milsatcom
      http://www.egroups.com/group/usafssescaficaiansaintel
    • Bob Sayers
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 11, 2000
        The message <39BBFF07.381B6EDF@...>
        from Scott Murdock <scott-murdock@...> contains these words:

        > Yes, the geolocation codes (four position, alpha) are a standard data
        > element used in many DoD database systems to identify locations. They
        > are used to identify actual military bases as well as any location of
        > interest (refueling tracks, drop zones, civil airports, dams, docks,
        > cities, etc.).

        > For example, in the USAF you'll encounter them in the real property
        > system, the manpower system (on the Unit Manpower Document), and the
        > personnel system (on TDY and PCS orders, etc.).

        Is this the same as the GEOREF system used by other NATO countries, Scott?
        A full reference in this system is 4 alpha characters and up to 8
        digits (giving
        an accuracy to 0.01 of a minute of arc) but obviously the four alpha
        characters would be sufficient for the type of locations described.

        I'm sure that there are US DoD publications which describe this system,
        but UK readers might like to obtain the Ministry of Defence publication
        "Manual of Map Reading & Land Navigation" (ISBN 0 11 772611 7) which
        does an excellent job of describing GEOREF and a number of other map
        referencing systems in military useage.

        Bob, G8IYK
      • combatsent@uswest.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 11, 2000
          I think that you are talking about UTM Coordinates.
          Universal Transmercator
          The UTM's are used for calling airstrikes and such.
          Very accurate!
          We used them in Vietnam for our DF locating of the bad guys!

          --

          http://users5.50megs.com/rc130bii6988/
          http://www.egroups.com/group/RC130BII
          http://www.egroups.com/group/RC135SNOOP
          http://www.egroups.com/group/militarymonitoring
          http://www.egroups.com/group/milsatcom
          http://www.egroups.com/group/usafssescaficaiansaintel
        • Scott Murdock
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 11, 2000
            Bob,

            The geolocation code itself is just shorthand for the location, the
            letters have no significance.

            In the geographic locations database as maintained by the JCS, you can
            find the latitude and longitude to go with the codes -- and the
            accompanying location name, location kind, country, state, etc.

            Scott

          • combatsent@uswest.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 12, 2000
              Actually, the whole kit and kaboodle is there.
              This is the C3I site that is used for everything within DISA
              and by the other military units.
              Each subunit of the entire DOEII site is there you just need
              to read the manuals and have a huge hard drive and alot of
              time on your hands. If you donwload each setup and run the
              setup file, then you will end up with an Access Database
              loaded with the entire database. This would likely take
              about 10GB or more to do this. The paygrade info is there as
              is the manning requirements (classified) for many projects.
              NIMA data is available but may be partly classified.

              You need to start at the SHADE web site to locate the
              manuals and then get started.
              Let me know if you get some interesting stuff if you do it!

              Bill

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 12, 2000

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 12, 2000
                  Here's another DoD web page which offers some possible clues to interesting
                  places. It's a list of FY99 defense contracts by state and county, giving
                  the contractor's name, location, and dollar amount.

                  http://web1.whs.osd.mil/peid/st/st25/ST25WWW.HTM