Re: [coldwarcomms] Possible GWEN Sites?

  • combatsent@uswest.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 10, 2000
      http://diides.ncr.disa.mil/shade/index.cfm

      Scott Murdock wrote:

      [eGroups] My Groups | coldwarcomms Main Page | Start a
      new group!

      --
      Bill Boltinghouse
      ex-USAF Security Service

      http://www.ec47.com/

      QTH: Council Bluffs Iowa --- 10 miles north of Offutt AFB

      Web Sites
      http://www.users.uswest.net/~combatsent
      http://www.geocities.com/combat_sent_bill/
      http://users3.50megs.com/combatsent/
      http://users3.50megs.com/superspy/
      http://users4.50megs.com/fedcom2000/
      http://users4.50megs.com/ncamonitor00/
      http://users4.50megs.com/ncamonitor99
      eGroups
      http://www.egroups.com/group/fedcom2000
      http://www.egroups.com/group/naoc-tacamo-monitor
      http://www.egroups.com/group/RC135SNOOP
      http://www.egroups.com/group/militarymonitoring
      http://www.egroups.com/group/milsatcom
      http://www.egroups.com/group/usafssescaficaiansaintel
    • Mike Jacobs
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 10, 2000
        The list of GWEN sites isn't secret and was published, along with
        their operating frequencies in the old Grove Shortwave Directory.
        Its too long to type here, but its in there. If there is any interest, I
        guess I could type up the list and put it on the web.

        Mike Jacobs, N3MJ
        Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
        Penn State University
        State College, PA
      • Scott Murdock
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10, 2000
          Mike,
          I would certainly like to see the list!
          Scott

          Mike Jacobs wrote:

          > [eGroups] My Groups | coldwarcomms Main Page | Start a new
          > group!
          >
          > The list of GWEN sites isn't secret and was published, along with
          > their operating frequencies in the old Grove Shortwave Directory.
          > Its too long to type here, but its in there. If there is any
          > interest, I
          > guess I could type up the list and put it on the web.
          >
          > Mike Jacobs, N3MJ
          > Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
          > Penn State University
          > State College, PA
        • Scott Murdock
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10, 2000
            Yes, the geolocation codes (four position, alpha) are a standard data
            element used in many DoD database systems to identify locations. They
            are used to identify actual military bases as well as any location of
            interest (refueling tracks, drop zones, civil airports, dams, docks,
            cities, etc.).

            For example, in the USAF you'll encounter them in the real property
            system, the manpower system (on the Unit Manpower Document), and the
            personnel system (on TDY and PCS orders, etc.).

            They are a convenient tool for researchers because -- usually -- the
            geolocation code will remain the same even if a base or other
            installation is redesignated. Makes it handy to cross-reference
            different sources.

            They've been used on special orders pertaining to USAF installations
            since 1968. Prior to that, starting in 1957, USAF used four position
            numeric codes -- Permanent Installation Number (PIN) -- but I guess they
            reached their useful limit in less than a decade! I don't know if the
            PIN was an AF-only effort or if it was DoD-wide.

            Scott
            www.airforcebase.net

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2000
              If you take time to read all of the docs, you can learn how
              to populate a Microsoft Access Database.
              They have some example and lots of docs.

              --
              Bill Boltinghouse
              ex-USAF Security Service
              301x3 & 328x3 ECM Repairman
              EC-47 - RC-130BII - RC-135

              http://www.ec47.com/

              QTH: Council Bluffs Iowa --- 10 miles north of Offutt AFB

              Web Sites
              http://www.users.uswest.net/~combatsent
              http://www.geocities.com/combat_sent_bill/
              http://users3.50megs.com/combatsent/
              http://users3.50megs.com/superspy/
              http://users4.50megs.com/fedcom2000/
              http://users4.50megs.com/ncamonitor00/
              http://users4.50megs.com/ncamonitor99
              eGroups
              http://www.egroups.com/group/fedcom2000
              http://www.egroups.com/group/naoc-tacamo-monitor
              http://www.egroups.com/group/RC135SNOOP
              http://www.egroups.com/group/militarymonitoring
              http://www.egroups.com/group/milsatcom
              http://www.egroups.com/group/usafssescaficaiansaintel
            • Bob Sayers
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 11, 2000
                The message <39BBFF07.381B6EDF@...>
                from Scott Murdock <scott-murdock@...> contains these words:

                > Yes, the geolocation codes (four position, alpha) are a standard data
                > element used in many DoD database systems to identify locations. They
                > are used to identify actual military bases as well as any location of
                > interest (refueling tracks, drop zones, civil airports, dams, docks,
                > cities, etc.).

                > For example, in the USAF you'll encounter them in the real property
                > system, the manpower system (on the Unit Manpower Document), and the
                > personnel system (on TDY and PCS orders, etc.).

                Is this the same as the GEOREF system used by other NATO countries, Scott?
                A full reference in this system is 4 alpha characters and up to 8
                digits (giving
                an accuracy to 0.01 of a minute of arc) but obviously the four alpha
                characters would be sufficient for the type of locations described.

                I'm sure that there are US DoD publications which describe this system,
                but UK readers might like to obtain the Ministry of Defence publication
                "Manual of Map Reading & Land Navigation" (ISBN 0 11 772611 7) which
                does an excellent job of describing GEOREF and a number of other map
                referencing systems in military useage.

                Bob, G8IYK
              • combatsent@uswest.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 11, 2000
                  I think that you are talking about UTM Coordinates.
                  Universal Transmercator
                  The UTM's are used for calling airstrikes and such.
                  Very accurate!
                  We used them in Vietnam for our DF locating of the bad guys!

                  --

                  http://users5.50megs.com/rc130bii6988/
                  http://www.egroups.com/group/RC130BII
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 11, 2000
                    Bob,

                    The geolocation code itself is just shorthand for the location, the
                    letters have no significance.

                    In the geographic locations database as maintained by the JCS, you can
                    find the latitude and longitude to go with the codes -- and the
                    accompanying location name, location kind, country, state, etc.

                    Scott

                  • combatsent@uswest.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 12, 2000
                      Actually, the whole kit and kaboodle is there.
                      This is the C3I site that is used for everything within DISA
                      and by the other military units.
                      Each subunit of the entire DOEII site is there you just need
                      to read the manuals and have a huge hard drive and alot of
                      time on your hands. If you donwload each setup and run the
                      setup file, then you will end up with an Access Database
                      loaded with the entire database. This would likely take
                      about 10GB or more to do this. The paygrade info is there as
                      is the manning requirements (classified) for many projects.
                      NIMA data is available but may be partly classified.

                      You need to start at the SHADE web site to locate the
                      manuals and then get started.
                      Let me know if you get some interesting stuff if you do it!

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 12, 2000

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 12, 2000
                          Here's another DoD web page which offers some possible clues to interesting
                          places. It's a list of FY99 defense contracts by state and county, giving
                          the contractor's name, location, and dollar amount.

                          http://web1.whs.osd.mil/peid/st/st25/ST25WWW.HTM