Re: [coldwarcomms] And speaking of NASA/STS/Military comms...

  • Mike Cowen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2007
      Take your pick.
      NASA Administrator was Dr. William R. Graham.
      KSC Director was Richard G. Smith.

      Ring any bells?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2007
          For what it's worth, I disagree with the guy who recently tried to --IMHO--
          paint with a very broad brush a picture that NASA didn't/doesn't have much of
          a need for security clearances & the like.

          Another neat thing that was fun to occasionally eavesdrop in on during my
          COMINT heydey of the 1980s was the NASA HF links to some of their tracking
          stations, for example, Ascension Island. I'm going by ancient memory here, but
          they had two freqs, 20186 & 20189, and I recall one often had freq-division
          multiplex on it, but the other provided a live audio feed during Shuttle
          operations, and then was also used for phone patches between CONUS NASA & the
          remote tracking stations.

          And in numerous phone patches, I heard administrators trying to coordinate
          or speed-up security clearances for personnel, saying that having to find
          'busy-work' for the person was a waste of $$ & that the next shuttle mission
          was coming up prior to the average 6 months it'd take for the guy's (NASA or
          contractor) Secret clearance to finally come through, etc.

          A Google search on "NASA +security clearances" gives plenty of favorable
          hits, too.

          Tim