Re: [coldwarcomms] E/F and Y/Z

  • Richard Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 25, 2007
      CECO = Communications Equipment Company; a Oklahoma and Texas based
      GE mobile communications repair facility. If I recall E/F was orginally a GE product installed in about 1968.
      rich wa5rdf

      Blake Bowers <bbowers@...> wrote:
      Reviewing the Mounds sign in books from 1977 era to the
      end of 1993.

      The last mention I see of the Echo Fox system in the sign in log
      was 8/15/1985 by a C. E. Knight and J. Harper of AT&T in the
      sign in log - but who knows if someone did not sign in, or if they
      had a local craftsman power the system down when it was time.

      I know there were lots of people in the site in the early 90's that
      are not logged in.

      As a side note, its amazing reading the sign in logs. They had
      constant visits from folks at Bell Labs, other countries, etc. Even
      more interesting is the vague stuff, as in 1985 why was American
      Airlines at the site, with folks from AT&T?

      The schools they gave at Mounds. Lots of the. Field trials for
      the TD90 gear - the inverters for the trials were installed 4/17/1984
      by Bob Taylor from Bell Labs.

      10/19/1982 trials of the TD45A Peery of Bedminster NJ....

      1/31/1981 why did they have contract guards onsite?

      And the tons of copier and teletype repairs!

      Caroll Wood worked for CECO and worked on the Echo Fox. What
      was CECO?

      The more you learn, the more you want to know.

      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 26, 2007
        Several aircraft besides Presidential aircraft were equipped with WB/Combat
        Ciders - I know we had it on the E-4 aircraft - but I'm pretty sure it was
        installed on other SAM fleet aircraft and Speckled Trout - now I'm talking
        up to 1990 - since then the SAM fleet has been upgraded both for aircraft
        and for comm suite.

        The GEPs served a host of missions, CINCSAC, CINCLANT, CINCEUR and CINCPAC
        along with SAM aircraft. Using additional aircraft the range for these could
        be extended to about 400-ish miles from the site. Of course the Nightwatch
        aircraft supported Presidential flights by doing exactly that. And the
        SAC/PACCS fleet worked air-to-air links from DC to Nebraska using at least 2
        relay aircraft along with 3 command posts. It was a heady time when all
        aircraft were up and participating in exercises like Polo Hat - I worked on
        SAC, LANT and Nightwatch aircraft then came back as a civilian exercise
        observer for another 10 years. Was really something when it all came
        together//j o h n

        --
        Thank you,

        J o h n

      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 26, 2007
          That makes perfect sense. The station at Mounds
          was/is a Mastr Pro station.

          > CECO = Communications Equipment Company; a Oklahoma and Texas based
          > GE mobile communications repair facility. If I recall E/F was orginally a
          > GE product installed in about 1968.
          > rich wa5rdf

        • droth1352
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 26, 2007
            So does anyone have any pictures of the Echo/Foxtrot ground stations
            actually installed in an AT&T building??

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

            > Can we run down the various air-ground schemes we know about;
            > and what we know? [Some of these may be the different names for
            > the same system..]
            >
            > Echo/Fox
            >
            > Y/Z [first I've heard of it..]
            >
            > Ground Entry Point
            >
            > Combat Ciders
            >

            > --
            > A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
            > & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
            > Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
            > is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

          • Craig Scott
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 26, 2007
              Yes, PLEASE.....I have never seen one of these.

              So does anyone have any pictures of the Echo/Foxtrot ground stations
              actually installed in an AT&T building??

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

              > Can we run down the various air-ground schemes we know about;
              > and what we know? [Some of these may be the different names for
              > the same system..]
              >
              > Echo/Fox
              >
              > Y/Z [first I've heard of it..]
              >
              > Ground Entry Point
              >
              > Combat Ciders
              >

              > --
              > A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
              > & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
              > Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
              > is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Blake Bowers
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 26, 2007
                Yes, but finding them is another story. It may be that
                I have to go back to the site to get the pictures.

                Although we scrapped a lot of the old gear to make room
                for other things, the EF station along with the test board
                has been left at the site, installed.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 26, 2007
                  Maybe, just maybe...

                  BRAD - do you get pictures of the E/F station?

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 26, 2007
                    Were are you located? Not everyone knows where Mounds is. I'm in Tulsa, been in the telecom field since 1968.
                    Rich w5rdf

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 26, 2007
                      We are in Missouri, but spend lots time in Mounds.....

                      > CECO = Communications Equipment Company; a Oklahoma and Texas based
                      > GE mobile communications repair facility. If I recall E/F was orginally a
                      > GE product installed in about 1968.
                      > rich wa5rdf

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Brad Cobo
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 27, 2007
                        A list dedicated to the discussion of various communications systems used by
                        the U.S. military and civilian authorities duringBlake,

                        We have pics of the VIDAR equipment, but no E/F stuff.

                        -Brad

                        Posted by: "Blake Bowers" bbowers@... bbowers311
                        Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:27 am (PST)

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 27, 2007
                          Ok, thanks.

                          I will get some pictures next time I am there.