AUTOVON map - followup

  • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 1999
      Now that I've posted the URL so you can actually see the thing, here's
      the caption, which I should've posted in the first place.

      "A small fraction of the AUTOVON trunk network in the continental United
      States (CONUS) is illustrated in the map above. Typical polygrid
      trunking arrangements for three AUTOVON switching centers (arrows) are
      shown. The complete trunking for the other centers would be similar. The
      distribution of trunks is such that all switching centers are virtually
      equal in their routing capabilities. The extensive alternate routing
      permits calls to be completed over any of a number of route choices,
      bypassing as necessary any damaged sections in the network."

      http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/telco/autovon_map.gif
      --
      Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
      Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 1999
        Matthew,

        Thanks very much for posting that! I think it's the first time I've seen a
        map of the system.

        A few comments regarding the DC area:

        (1) FKNR is probably Faulkner, MD. Coincidentally, a former AT&T engineer
        recently told me there used to be a big FTS switch there, using a 4-wire #5
        crossbar. The site was sometimes referred to by the names of the nearby
        towns of La Plata and Waldorf, but the switch was called Faulkner. I
        assume it's the same place as the microwave station and Combat Ciders GEP
        we know as Waldorf. The engineer thinks Faulkner did not have an L-carrier
        link - just microwave. BTW, there are a number of current and former
        defense communications sites in that part of MD.

        (2) MONR is probably Monrovia, MD. It's an L-carrier bunker with a
        microwave tower. Some of the microwave paths are still operational (as of
        March '98), and the facility appears to be an important fiber junction. It
        underwent major remodeling last year. An unusual feature is a concrete
        parabolic, about 5 ft. in diameter, on a short foundation near the tower.

        (3) I don't know what RAL is. Roughly interpolating its position between
        MONR and FKNR, it would appear to be in the MD suburbs N or W of DC.

        ...Albert
      • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 1999
          Albert LaFrance wrote:
          > Thanks very much for posting that! I think it's the first time I've seen a
          > map of the system.

          Well, like the caption said, it's not an entire map, but it works for my
          purposes.

          > A few comments regarding the DC area:
          >
          > (1) FKNR is probably Faulkner, MD. Coincidentally, a former AT&T engineer
          > recently told me there used to be a big FTS switch there, using a 4-wire #5
          > crossbar. The site was sometimes referred to by the names of the nearby
          > towns of La Plata and Waldorf, but the switch was called Faulkner. I
          > assume it's the same place as the microwave station and Combat Ciders GEP
          > we know as Waldorf. The engineer thinks Faulkner did not have an L-carrier
          > link - just microwave. BTW, there are a number of current and former
          > defense communications sites in that part of MD.

          One of the original SCAN switches was located in Frederick, MD... could
          these be the same? I'm not familiar with Maryland at all.

          > (2) MONR is probably Monrovia, MD. It's an L-carrier bunker with a
          > microwave tower. Some of the microwave paths are still operational (as of
          > March '98), and the facility appears to be an important fiber junction. It
          > underwent major remodeling last year. An unusual feature is a concrete
          > parabolic, about 5 ft. in diameter, on a short foundation near the tower.

          Got a pic of this? I read an article on hardened communications for the
          Bell System that had some pics of some strange-looking blast-resistant
          microwave antennas, wonder if this could be one of them.

          In case you haven't already, you may want to download the database I'd
          posted on my FTP site. For microwave, it's really useful, especially
          since it has receiver callsigns in it.
          --
          Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
          Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...
        • Mark Foster
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 1999
            >(1) FKNR is probably Faulkner, MD. Coincidentally, a former AT&T engineer
            >recently told me there used to be a big FTS switch there, using a 4-wire #5
            >crossbar. The site was sometimes referred to by the names of the nearby
            >towns of La Plata and Waldorf, but the switch was called Faulkner. I
            >assume it's the same place as the microwave station and Combat Ciders GEP
            >we know as Waldorf. The engineer thinks Faulkner did not have an L-carrier
            >link - just microwave. BTW, there are a number of current and former
            >defense communications sites in that part of MD.

            I have briefly visited Waldorf and I can assertain there is at least one
            L Carrier cable running due west from Waldorf through the little shopping
            center across the street. The cable marking post were still there in late 98.
          • Mark Foster
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 21, 1999
              >One of the original SCAN switches was located in Frederick, MD... could
              >these be the same? I'm not familiar with Maryland at all.

              My notes show Monrovia to be an original SCAN site.
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 21, 1999
                Matthew,

                Re: FKNR
                >One of the original SCAN switches was located in Frederick, MD... could
                >these be the same? I'm not familiar with Maryland at all.

                Frederick and Faulkner are quite distant from each other (about 60 miles),
                so I don't believe the names refer to the same facility. The "Frederick"
                SCAN switch may have been the Monrovia site; the towns are only 8 miles
                apart, and both are in Frederick County. There's at least one instance
                where AT&T has named a facility after the county it's in, rather than the
                town: the big Facility Maintenance Center in the town of Conyers, GA is
                called "Rockdale", there's no such town; Rockdale is the name of the
                county.

                Re: MONR
                >Got a pic of this? I read an article on hardened communications for the
                >Bell System that had some pics of some strange-looking blast-resistant
                >microwave antennas, wonder if this could be one of them.

                Sure, I'll get it scanned and e-mail you a copy. If anyone else wants it,
                just let me know.

                >In case you haven't already, you may want to download the database I'd
                >posted on my FTP site. For microwave, it's really useful, especially
                >since it has receiver callsigns in it.

                Thanks, I'll do that. I have the July '97 microwave database, but it's
                downloaded from the FCC site and not in a format I can process with any DB
                software I have. I can use it, but only by opening the individual files as
                text files and using the Search function on WordPerfect. Works, but
                cumbersome.

                ...Albert
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 21, 1999
                  Interesting, because there's an AT&T fiber-optic cable crossing I-95 in VA
                  just S of exit 163 (between miles 163.5 and 163.6), about 18 mi. WNW of
                  Waldorf. A wild speculation: maybe a cable route under the Potomac?

                  ...Albert

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 22, 1999
                    >Re: MONR
                    >>Got a pic of this? I read an article on hardened communications for the
                    >>Bell System that had some pics of some strange-looking blast-resistant
                    >>microwave antennas, wonder if this could be one of them.
                    >
                    >Sure, I'll get it scanned and e-mail you a copy. If anyone else wants it,
                    >just let me know.

                    Me too.
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3 10:55 AM
                      Mark,

                      Was there any indication of fiber, or was it just L-carrier? The route I
                      mentioned earlier, crossing I-95 WNW of Waldorf, is L-carrier replaced with
                      fiber. So if the route you saw in Waldorf had no fiber, we may be looking
                      at two different routes.

                      ...Albert

                      Message text written by INTERNET:coldwarcomms@onelist.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 3 3:10 PM
                        At 01:55 PM 5/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
                        >From: Albert LaFrance <ALaFrance@...>
                        >
                        >Mark,
                        >
                        >Was there any indication of fiber, or was it just L-carrier? The route I
                        >mentioned earlier, crossing I-95 WNW of Waldorf, is L-carrier replaced with
                        >fiber. So if the route you saw in Waldorf had no fiber, we may be looking
                        >at two different routes.
                        >
                        >...Albert

                        I was only there for a brief time (someone else was driving and I was on
                        business), but the
                        age and style of the cable markers was circa 1970's. My driver had pulled
                        into the shopping center (small) just
                        west of the Waldorf facility and I saw the markers at the edge of the
                        parking lot. They looked very old. I do not
                        remember if there were fiber cable warnings on the poles.