Re: [coldwarcomms] Antenna

  • Dave Emery
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2000
      On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 06:13:56PM -0400, Mark Foster wrote:
      > Looking to ID the following antenna.
      >
      > http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/Antenna.htm
      >
      > Te base has a large EIA flange mount RF coupling. there
      > are no markings on the antenna.
      >
      > Any hints??

      No ID, though it looks vaguely like some I've seen on towers
      at Andy AFB. Sometimes one can determine interesting things by sweeping
      the antenna with a reflectometer (or directional coupler if you have a
      set for various bands) and looking for its operating frequency from
      the VSWR plot. Certainly once one has found a region of good match
      to the 50 ohm cable (presumably that is what its flange is designed for ?)
      one can then try measuring gain and pattern... using similar techniques...

      Of course that tells you something about the antenna as an antenna
      qua antenna rather than as a historical artifact...

      --
      Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
      PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18