Test Transmission on HF

  • M.DeMeo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2007
      Back in the late 1960's as a teenager I was an avid shortwave
      listener. Occasionally, I would hear a transmission in the utility
      band that went some thing like "This is a test transmission for
      receiver adjustment purposes from a station of the American Telephone
      and Telegraph system." I believe the mode was AM. I have often
      wondered what system they were used for.
      Does anyone remember these?
      Thanks
      Mike
    • Charles Parkhurst
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2007
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "M.DeMeo" <demeom@...> wrote:

        > Back in the late 1960's as a teenager I was an avid shortwave
        > listener. Occasionally, I would hear a transmission in the utility
        > band that went some thing like "This is a test transmission for
        > receiver adjustment purposes from a station of the American Telephone
        > and Telegraph system." I believe the mode was AM. I have often
        > wondered what system they were used for.
        > Does anyone remember these?
        > Thanks
        > Mike

        Man, does that bring back memories. I also often wondered where that
        originated.

        Charlie
      • hooligan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2007
          In a message dated 6/11/2007 9:19:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          demeom@... writes:

          Back in the late 1960's as a teenager I was an avid shortwave
          listener. Occasionally, I would hear a transmission in the utility
          band that went some thing like "This is a test transmission for
          receiver adjustment purposes from a station of the American Telephone
          and Telegraph system." I believe the mode was AM. I have often
          wondered what system they were used for.
          Does anyone remember these?
          Thanks

          "Voice Mirrors" were mostly kept up & running to "reserve" a freq & dissuade
          other entities from setting up activity on it, but of course they also
          helped other stations fine-tune receivers, monitor propagation, etc.

          The US Navy also had some (something along the lines of "This is a United
          States Navy transmitter, testing for frequency identification and receiver
          alignment".), and numerous foreign nations used them to. I remember French
          maritime coastal station's "Ici St Lys radio...en service de radiotelephonie la
          France" or something close to that, and also one by Cyprus that I QSL'ed.

          Tim

        • Clay Gibbs
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2007
            A poster to my regional "DX Florida" group has an amazing collection of old
            Voice Mirrors. A small sample of audio clips can be found on his site---->
            http://havana.yak.net/outgoing/vm/

            Enjoy,

            Clay