[maybe spam] AT&T KMI station

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 9, 2007
      Found this on Flickr anyone know what it was?
      http://flickr.com/photos/recursive/370613447/

      Eric
    • Mike Cowen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 9, 2007
        Site of former HF marine radiotelephone station
        KMI, which provided two-way communication between
        ships on the high seas or aircraft and telephones
        on land, sea or in the air. The AT&T high seas
        HF service was discontinued in 1999; the KMI
        facilities were abandoned shortly
        thereafter. The site is now part of the Point
        Reyes National Seashore. Dismantling of the
        antennas began in 2002 to protect birds from
        striking the towers or guy wires. Point Reyes
        was considered the best receiving station of the
        West Coast. It was at this location that the word
        was first received on mainland USA that Pearl Harbor was under attack.

        Here is a better picture of the sign:
        http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/kph/kmi-sign1.html

        Other links:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOO_%28call_sign%29

        At 09:10 PM 6/9/2007, you wrote:

        >Found this on Flickr anyone know what it was?
        ><http://flickr.com/photos/recursive/370613447/>http://flickr.com/photos/recursive/370613447/
        >
        >Eric

      • blitz
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
          I see some routes in Western NY that I believe are also later...this map
          is questionable IMHO.

          David Lesher wrote:
          > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
          >
          >> Tried three different browsers, and cant get it to enlarge.
          >>

          > I can see it with Firefox but wonder how the year can be
          > correct? For example, they show trunkage to Oberlin. Granted
          > Oberlin College was there FAR before then, but there was not
          > much else.....
          >
          > I recall being told that when the FAA built the ARTCC there in
          > ~1960 [now the busiest in the country]; they had to have ATT run
          > trunkage in; as the hoot&holler independent serving Oberlin never
          > could have managed same...

        • blitz
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
            Firefox wasn't the culpret, the firewall was, and once I shut it down, I
            was able to view it.
            Not a really good map IMHO.

            Matthew S. Smith wrote:
            > Are you using a pop-up blocker? I'm using one with Mozilla and it
            > wouldn't work there, but it worked fine under IE (with no blocker). Once
            > you can get that to work, there's an option for downloading the full
            > image and a viewer (MrSID). Makes for a much quicker way to pan/zoom
            > that the browser version (at least on my pseudo-broadband connection).
            >
            > Matt
            >
            > blitz wrote:
            >

            >> Tried three different browsers, and cant get it to enlarge.
            >>
            >> Albert LaFrance wrote:
            >>
            >>> Keith Cheshire contributed this link to a high-quality, zoomable
            >>>
            >> scan of a detailed route map of the
            >>
            >>> eastern half of the US. I was surprised by how extensive the network
            >>>
            >> was at that early date.
            >>
            >>> http://www.davidrum sey.com/detail? id=1-1-1430- 190077&name=
            >>>
            >> Lines+And+ Metallic+ Circuit+Connecti ons
            >> <http://www.davidrumsey.com/detail?id=1-1-1430-190077&name=Lines+And+Metallic+Circuit+Connections>
            >>
            >>> Albert LaFrance

          • Charles Fargis
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
              High seas radio and Antenna farm for phone service to ships at sea. This one
              for the Pacific
              http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/kph/kmi-sign1.html
              esplains it.

              Found this on Flickr anyone know what it was?
              http://flickr. <http://flickr.com/photos/recursive/370613447/>

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11 6:39 PM
                More info on KMI:

                http://patch.com/california/dixon/bp--old-att-radio-station-south-of-dixon-to-close-down#.VBI5IckoNeo