Re: [coldwarcomms] Visit to former AT&T Buckingham, VA (Spears Mountain) Project Office

  • David Williams
    Message 1 of 15 , May 21, 2007
      Did the new owner say what he was going to do with it in the future? This is a huge complex, the largest I have toured was a 8,000 sq foot that had a 180' microwave
      tower next to it. It also had the double blast doors to get in but was not as large as this one has.

    • Pj
      Message 2 of 15 , May 21, 2007
        If the new owner is willing, a group tour and/or get
        together would be really neat (with enough notice of
        course). I'll bring the LPG for the BBQ grill...

        --- David Williams <ke7abh@...> wrote:

        > Did the new owner say what he was going to do with
        > it in the future? This is a huge complex, the
        > largest I have toured was a 8,000 sq foot that had a
        > 180' microwave
        > tower next to it. It also had the double blast doors
        > to get in but was not as large as this one has.

        > removed]
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        ____________________________________________________________________________________Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
      • ks546372
        Message 3 of 15 , May 21, 2007
          How did the "new owner" acquire the facility? Any idea what price
          range it was?

          Very quiet transaction it appears.
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 15 , May 21, 2007
            Though I've been a long-time "lurker" here, I've never had much to
            contribute to the dialog. Still, all of the discussions here fascinate
            me, and this has reminded me what a good idea a real-life "meet" would
            be. I know, we're scattered all over the country (I'm not unreasonably
            far from Buckingham though). Still, there's so much knowledge,
            experience, and passion in this group... so much "stuff" that can be
            shared in person to which the Internet will never do any justice...

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@...> wrote:

            > If the new owner is willing, a group tour and/or get
            > together would be really neat (with enough notice of
            > course). I'll bring the LPG for the BBQ grill...

          • mbella42
            Message 5 of 15 , May 22, 2007
              Same here, lurking is my specialty.

              Albert, what a great opportunity, only wish more pictures were a
              possibility. It's too bad more of these sites aren't open for guided
              tours. I guess with the brave new world we're living in this type of
              site will never be "retired".

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <scrow@...> wrote:

              > Though I've been a long-time "lurker" here, I've never had much to
              > contribute to the dialog. Still, all of the discussions here fascinate
              > me, and this has reminded me what a good idea a real-life "meet" would
              > be. I know, we're scattered all over the country (I'm not unreasonably
              > far from Buckingham though). Still, there's so much knowledge,
              > experience, and passion in this group... so much "stuff" that can be
              > shared in person to which the Internet will never do any justice...
              >

              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@> wrote:
              > >
              > > If the new owner is willing, a group tour and/or get
              > > together would be really neat (with enough notice of
              > > course). I'll bring the LPG for the BBQ grill...

            • GREG PRICE
              Message 6 of 15 , May 27, 2007
                I always suspected that the mast on the top of the
                Tropo reflectors would support a microwave antenna. I
                find it interesting that it turned out to support a
                camera and radiation sensors. A microwave antenna
                would have allowed Spears Mountain to talk to Dwylyn
                or Tobacco Row. The facility would have allowed
                communications by Tropo or by what is left of the AT&T
                system. It would be interesting to see how many and in
                what direction any AT&T cables go.
                I can account for every opening on the surface except
                one. If anyone does get another tour what is the
                opening in the ground about 20 to 25 feet to the left
                of the security station door. The other ground
                openings are air intake for the generators or for the
                main bunkers.
                --- Albert LaFrance <albert.lafrance@...>

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/index.html

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/MVC-005Fa.jpg

                http://long-lines.net/places-routes/PottstownPA/030801B-13A.html

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/spears11.jpg

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/security-officeA.html

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/door-sidewaysA.html

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/tropo-reflectorA.html

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/tropo-doorA.html

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/tropo-door-sidwaysA.html

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/MVC-001Fa.jpg

                http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/Buckingham/MVC-022F1.jpg

                > At the left-hand end of the panel is a Bell System
                > logo, maybe 8-10 inches in diameter, with the
                > words "Long Lines Department" surrounding the bell.
                >
                > In the right-hand endcap of the panel are three
                > interior air-quality monitors with analog meters,
                > measuring
                > carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and kerosene vapor.

                === message truncated ===

                ____________________________________________________________________________________Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7
                Message 7 of 15 , May 27, 2007
                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, GREG PRICE <pingsalt@...> wrote:

                  > I always suspected that the mast on the top of the
                  > Tropo reflectors would support a microwave antenna. I
                  > find it interesting that it turned out to support a
                  > camera and radiation sensors. A microwave antenna
                  > would have allowed Spears Mountain to talk to Dwylyn
                  > or Tobacco Row. The facility would have allowed
                  > communications by Tropo or by what is left of the AT&T
                  > system. It would be interesting to see how many and in
                  > what direction any AT&T cables go.
                  > I can account for every opening on the surface except
                  > one. If anyone does get another tour what is the
                  > opening in the ground about 20 to 25 feet to the left
                  > of the security station door. The other ground
                  > openings are air intake for the generators or for the
                  > main bunkers.

                  As i recall this was a repeater only and nothing came down to baseband
                  so no need for connectivity elsewhere other than local
                  phones,operational comms,alarms/telemetry. The extra space may have
                  been a designated or back up site for personnel relocation like the
                  other project offices provided.Some L4 main stations also provided
                  such space for VIP's of the Bell Operating Company as an EOC(emergency
                  operating center), and allegedly made available to the gov't if needed.
                • Mark Foster
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 27, 2007
                    Were the generators Solar Turbines?

                    If so there should be an intake and an exhaust.

                    From the aerials the intake(s) look pretty small.
                    Buckingham since it did not have any switching
                    or broadband to VF equipment must not have had
                    much of an electrical load.

                    At 06:13 AM 5/27/2007, you wrote:
                    >always suspected that the mast on the top of the
                    >Tropo reflectors would support a microwave antenna. I
                    >find it interesting that it turned out to support a
                    >camera and radiation sensors. A microwave antenna
                    >would have allowed Spears Mountain to talk to Dwylyn
                    >or Tobacco Row. The facility would have allowed
                    >communications by Tropo or by what is left of the AT&T
                    >system. It would be interesting to see how many and in
                    >what direction any AT&T cables go.
                    >I can account for every opening on the surface except
                    >one. If anyone does get another tour what is the
                    >opening in the ground about 20 to 25 feet to the left
                    >of the security station door. The other ground
                    >openings are air intake for the generators or for the
                    >main bunkers.
                  • GREG PRICE
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 28, 2007
                      Attached files show the REL 2600 Tropo Gear that was
                      installed at Spears Mountain. In this picture it is
                      installed at a US base in Vietnam. It would all fit
                      onto one equipment platform as shown in the second
                      photo. The Torpo gear only takes up 5% of the bunker
                      upper level. You would not need massive air
                      conditioning to cool just the tropo gear. If it could
                      only acted as a repeater why all the extra space? Even
                      accounting for spartan guest quarters for 30 people
                      thee is still a massive ammount of space left over.
                      --- ozob99 <ozob99@...> wrote:

                      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, GREG PRICE
                      > <pingsalt@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I always suspected that the mast on the top of the
                      > > Tropo reflectors would support a microwave
                      > antenna. I
                      > > find it interesting that it turned out to support
                      > > camera and radiation sensors. A microwave antenna
                      > > would have allowed Spears Mountain to talk to
                      > Dwylyn
                      > > or Tobacco Row. The facility would have allowed
                      > > communications by Tropo or by what is left of the
                      > AT&T
                      > > system. It would be interesting to see how many
                      > and in
                      > > what direction any AT&T cables go.
                      > > I can account for every opening on the surface
                      > except
                      > > one. If anyone does get another tour what is the
                      > > opening in the ground about 20 to 25 feet to the
                      > left
                      > > of the security station door. The other ground
                      > > openings are air intake for the generators or for
                      > the
                      > > main bunkers.
                      >

                      > As i recall this was a repeater only and nothing
                      > came down to baseband
                      > so no need for connectivity elsewhere other than
                      > local
                      > phones,operational comms,alarms/telemetry. The
                      > extra space may have
                      > been a designated or back up site for personnel
                      > relocation like the
                      > other project offices provided.Some L4 main stations
                      > also provided
                      > such space for VIP's of the Bell Operating Company
                      > as an EOC(emergency
                      > operating center), and allegedly made available to
                      > the gov't if needed.

                    • Mike Cowen
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 28, 2007
                        Maybe you could forward the pix to Albert for
                        inclusion in the file repository. All attachments here are stripped off.

                        Mike

                      • John Young
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 28, 2007
                          A new facility bristling with antenna has been built adjoining the National
                          Martime
                          Intelligence Center (Office of Naval Intelligence) at the Suitland,
                          Maryland, Federal
                          Center:

                          http://cryptome.org/oni/oni-eyeball.htm

                          Information on this facility and the likely purpose and identification of
                          its unusual
                          antenna array would be appreciated.
                        • tsniffin20902
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 28, 2007
                            I may be wrong, but I believe that is the NOAA weather satellite
                            control facility. I seem to recall reading an article about the
                            design-it had more to do with aesthetics than functionality. I tried
                            a quick search of the Washington Post archives w/o success. I'll try
                            again later and post if I find anything.

                            Todd

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
                              Some additional observations, which I forgot to include in my original report:

                              There is a large rectangular hatch cover in the upper-level floor, which can be removed to transfer
                              items between floors via a trolley-type overhead electric hoist.

                              On the wall of the break room, there's a safety award plaque from AT&T's Potomac District (I recall
                              that Potomac *Division* is also mentioned on the plaque). Despite the name, "Potomac" was not a
                              geographically-defined territory. Instead, it encompassed all of AT&T's classified
                              federal-government sites, at least those in the mid-Atlantic.

                              The owner noted that there are mounting rings for terrestrial microwave antennas atop the
                              troposcatter reflectors, though dishes were never installed.