Family Shelter Design

  • CLDWARHIST@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2000
    • combatsent@uswest.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
        http://www.fema.gov/search/srchjs.htm

        I went to the FEMA Search engine and could not find any docs on "Bomb Shelters".
        I also checked the index and did not locate anything like this.
        There is a family disaster plan in pdf.

        I did not have time to persue a thorough search.

        =======================

        Albert LaFrance wrote:

        >Isnt there a .pdf version of this already on the net? FEMA put's it out.

        I've been looking for one - no luck so far.

        You've raised an interesting question: exactly what is FEMA's current
        policy on nuclear civil defense?  If a citizen were to ask for advice on
        building a fallout shelter, would they have any literature available?  Or
        are they completely out of the nuclear-protection business, in favor of
        natural-disaster preparedness.

        It's my impression that FEMA's senior leadership would like to distance the
        agency from its Cold War origins, perhaps not wanting it to appear outdated
        and irrelevant.

        Bill Boltinghouse
        ex-USAF Security Service
        301x3 & 328x3 In-Flight ECM Repairman
        EC-47 * RC-130BII * RC-135

        http://www.ec47.com/

        QTH: Council Bluffs Iowa --- 10 miles north of Offutt AFB

        Web Sites
        http://www.users.uswest.net/~combatsent/
        http://www.geocities.com/combat_sent_bill/
        http://users3.50megs.com/combatsent/
        http://users3.50megs.com/superspy/
        http://users4.50megs.com/fedcom2000/
        http://users4.50megs.com/ncamonitor00/
        http://users4.50megs.com/ncamonitor99/
        http://users5.50megs.com/rc130bii6988/
        http://users3.50megs.com/boltkids/
        http://users3.50megs.com/milcom2000/
        eGroups
        http://www.egroups.com/group/fedcom2000
        http://www.egroups.com/group/naoc-tacamo-monitor
        http://www.egroups.com/group/RC130BII
        http://www.egroups.com/group/RC135SNOOP
        http://www.egroups.com/group/militarymonitoring
        http://www.egroups.com/group/milsatcom
        http://www.egroups.com/group/usafssescaficaiansaintel

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
          >Isnt there a .pdf version of this already on the net? FEMA put's it out.

          I've been looking for one - no luck so far.

          You've raised an interesting question: exactly what is FEMA's current
          policy on nuclear civil defense? If a citizen were to ask for advice on
          building a fallout shelter, would they have any literature available? Or
          are they completely out of the nuclear-protection business, in favor of
          natural-disaster preparedness.

          It's my impression that FEMA's senior leadership would like to distance the
          agency from its Cold War origins, perhaps not wanting it to appear outdated
          and irrelevant.

          Albert
        • Michael Makar
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2000
            Group,

            Your assumption is correct there is little or no planning at the
            federal or state level for nuclear weapon attack. Most of that went
            out with the end of the cold war in 93-94. Continuity of government
            program also took big hits. Fortunately, there is a pretty vocal
            group of people who have concerns over the Russians and their Topol
            missiles, rogue nations with weapons of mass destruction, etc. As
            most disaster research indicates, it will take a nuclear
            accident/detonation/incident that kills a bunch of people before we
            get back into planning for these contingencies.

            FEMA has taken out or revised their materials to reflect this new
            thinking. You can still get old materials from FEMA if you know what
            you want and they have it on the shelf. We keep some of those
            materials for our students who take our emergency management program,
            http://eam.spjc.edu , I keep a online library of some archive FEMA
            docs for reference at this site.

            password eam

            Also the older bomb shelter materials may not reflect current
            information on weapons effects. For instance many early brochures
            did not contain the effects of fallout which was included later on.

            The FEMA site keeps alot of good materials on everything but this.
            The Preparedness library is located at

            http://www.fema.gov/library/lib07.htm

            There is a fellow in Alabama who is selling some of these old docs
            but has not responded to my emails. The material is out there and I
            try to collect it when I see it. Someday I hope to have it all
            scanned and available.

            Its been a few years but Nebraska Emergency Management was going to
            continue to plan since there are ICBMs located in western NE assigned
            to F.E. Warren Wyoming, and Offutt and Lincoln with multiple
            missions. That may have changed. I spoke with the State Director
            for Montana a couple years ago and they do no planning even though
            Malmstrom is a major ICBM base.

            Also the country has transitioned from a protracted prevailing
            nuclear war strategy to where the "United States must maintain the
            assured response capability to inflict "unacceptable damage" against
            those assets a potential enemy values most."

            http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/pdd60.htm

            Hope this helps

            Mike Makar

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2000
              I just got a copy of that publication, dated January 1962. It contains
              plans and other details for eight home shelters, ranging from a simple wood
              lean-to built against a basement wall, to a 5 PSI underground bunker.

              My overall impression is that civil-defense planners neglected, or grossly
              underestimated, the psychological effects of a nuclear attack. One of the
              shelters consists of a 4-ft.-diameter, 8-ft.-long corrugated-steel culvert
              pipe, buried horizontally, with a smaller-diameter pipe as an entrance.
              Imagine a family living inside that thing, unable to come out even briefly
              for several days due to fallout. No light, except for flashlights. No
              heat in the winter. That would be difficult enough even without the stress
              of not knowing what had happened to their friends, neighbors, and
              relatives.