VA/MD AT&T Sites

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 26, 2000
      The attached Excel file is a list of all the AT&T sites in MD and VA with a
      few others thrown in.

      They are arranged by the exchange of the site. Some sites had a manager
      that was in another
      site. Likewise with the site supervisor. They are also listed if
      provided. The "Type" of
      facility is vague but something to go on. Some sites have multiple listing
      because of
      multiple functions at the site. The source of this info is the 1986 AT&T
      Corporate Directory.

      Some interesting things emerge.

      Many interesting sites have a manager at 703-471-XXXX. Yet there is no
      site with phone numbers
      beginning with 703-471-XXXX. I could not find the web site that gives you
      locations if you provide
      NNX's. Any idea where this site could be??

      Some of the sites, I have never heard of before and they are not radio
      relay sites. Anybody spot any
      interesting sites? Just looking at the list I noticed I missed at least
      Garden City.

      It also occurred to me that Camp David must have a AT&T
      switchboard. Anyone have any clues as
      what it might be.
    • Matthew Potter
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 26, 2000
        >Many interesting sites have a manager at 703-471-XXXX. Yet there is no
        >site with phone numbers
        >beginning with 703-471-XXXX. I could not find the web site that gives you
        >locations if you provide
        >NNX's. Any idea where this site could be??

        isnt 471 prefix Herndon? I dont have the phone book in front of me..

      • Daryl Gibson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 26, 2000
          Mark Foster wrote:

          > Many interesting sites have a manager at 703-471-XXXX. Yet there is no
          > site with phone numbers
          > beginning with 703-471-XXXX. I could not find the web site that gives you
          > locations if you provide
          > NNX's. Any idea where this site could be??

          One is at:

          http://primeris.com/fonefind/index.php3

          It shows 703-471 as Herndon, assuming the Area Code hasn't changed
          in the interim.

          Daryl
        • Matthew Potter
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 26, 2000
            At 08:34 PM 7/26/00 -0600, you wrote:
            >Mark Foster wrote:
            >
            >> Many interesting sites have a manager at 703-471-XXXX. Yet there is no
            >> site with phone numbers
            >> beginning with 703-471-XXXX. I could not find the web site that gives you
            >> locations if you provide
            >> NNX's. Any idea where this site could be??
            >
            >One is at:
            >
            >http://primeris.com/fonefind/index.php3
            >
            >It shows 703-471 as Herndon, assuming the Area Code hasn't changed
            >in the interim.

            it's herndon... which could eithe be the Fox Mill co or the one off elden
            street... it's still 703, but 571 numbers are being overlayed..

            >Daryl

          • Jim Burks
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2000
              --- In coldwarcomms@egroups.com, Mark Foster <mfoster@c...> wrote:

              > It also occurred to me that Camp David must have a AT&T
              > switchboard. Anyone have any clues as
              > what it might be.

              Camp David is close to the ANMCC, which has the 'Blue Ridge Summit #1'
              switch colocated.

              I wonder if it is served off that switch, at least for
              secure/survivable communications. I had also wondered if there were
              a 'Blue Ridge Summit #2' around somewhere, but it's not on your list..

              Also intriguing were the 'custom services' sites at:
              Parkersburg, WV
              Roanoke, VA
              Charlottesville, VA
              Lynchburg, VA

              There hasn't been any mention of significant defense operations at
              those sites....
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 27, 2000
                Message text written by INTERNET:coldwarcomms@egroups.com
                >>One is at:
                >>
                >>http://primeris.com/fonefind/index.php3
                >>
                >>It shows 703-471 as Herndon, assuming the Area Code hasn't changed
                >>in the interim.

                >it's herndon... which could eithe be the Fox Mill co or the one off elden
                >street... it's still 703, but 571 numbers are being overlayed..

                There's another "CO finder" at:

                http://www.dslreports.com/r3/dsl/coinfo

                Is shows 703-471 as:

                Telco: INTERMEDIA COMMUNICATIONS, INC - VA
                Address: 1130 ELDEN ST

                Since this CO finder is DSL-oriented, I don't know if "telco" refers to the
                DSL provider for the area, or if Intermedia is a competitive local-exchange
                carrier (CLEC).

                Albert
              • Daryl Gibson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2000
                  Seems to return a DSL carrier for the area. My search of my Las Vegas
                  number 702-734 returns an alternate DSL provider, not the telco,
                  Sprint Local. My search of my Utah number 801-489 returns US West,
                  the local telco, which is quite dominant in DSL in this area.

                • ozob99@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
                    --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Jim Burks" <jburks2@m...> wrote:
                    > --- In coldwarcomms@egroups.com, Mark Foster <mfoster@c...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > It also occurred to me that Camp David must have a AT&T
                    > > switchboard. Anyone have any clues as
                    > > what it might be.
                    >
                    > Camp David is close to the ANMCC, which has the 'Blue Ridge Summit
                    #1'
                    > switch colocated.
                    >
                    > I wonder if it is served off that switch, at least for
                    > secure/survivable communications. I had also wondered if there were
                    > a 'Blue Ridge Summit #2' around somewhere, but it's not on your
                    list..

                    > Also intriguing were the 'custom services' sites at:
                    > Parkersburg, WV
                    > Roanoke, VA
                    > Charlottesville, VA
                    > Lynchburg, VA
                    >
                    > There hasn't been any mention of significant defense operations at
                    > those sites....

                    Custom Services was the old "private line service",and now known as
                    "Special Services", both commercial & gov't..Charlottesville had some
                    defense contractors like Sperry around; Lynchburg was the Serving
                    Test
                    Center for Sage circuits to Bedford AFS and Roanoke was the STC
                    for Radford Army Arsenal circuits.

                    Lynchburg, along with Richmond, did have a critical role in the
                    COPAN/JCSAN circuits to CINCLANT, SACLANT & CINCTAC in Norfolk &
                    Hampton,Va.; they both had "Y" switches(A-B switch) that provided
                    alternate paths from Site R to these commands if the Pentagon link
                    failed;the DC control path to operate them was a seperate telegraph
                    grade circuits(GC).

                    In addition to the switching relays at these offices,there were
                    strings of delay & amplitude equalizers to provide C2 conditioning
                    for secure voice(KY9 & later at that time).They were operational at
                    least into 1985.

                    Naturally this alternate switching arrangement was to be found in
                    other offices on the COPAN/JCSAN network serving the various CINC's.

                    Another interesting arrangement was the "residence lines"; the
                    CINC Admirals & Generals had extensions from the command post to
                    their residences, and occasionally a family member(youngsters) would
                    get on the circuit causing a trouble report.

                    I believe the conferencing & calling system was the Bell SC2
                    Selective
                    Control;using 2600/2400 Single Frequency signalling.Routine role
                    calls
                    were "White Express" while "Yellow & Red " were Defcon alerts.