Cellular/PCS basestation antenna sharing

  • Frank Manson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi,

      I have a few questions regarding antenna sharing and I was hoping someone might be able to help me.

      (1) Is it possible for two different operators using the same technology (e.g. PCS-1900) on the same frequency block to share an antenna? If so how (tx and rx)?

      (2) Is it possible for two different operators using different air interface standards (e.g. CDMA, TDMA and GSM) to share an antenna? If so how (tx and rx)?

      (3) Would each operator have to reduce its transmission power if it were to share an antenna? If not, would the coverage remain the same as if it were transmitting on it's own separate antenna and will the combined field strength level still be at a safe limit for the near-by public?

      (4) Does the coverage area have to be similar for each operator if they wish to share an antenna?

      (5) What type of interference might result with antenna sharing (e.g. intermodulation)?

      (6) For antenna sharing, is it recommended to separate transmitting and receiving to two different antennas or can they still be duplexed? Should the receiving facilities of different operators using the same range of frequencies be split?

      (7) What is the difference between the following devices (specifically its purpose for antenna sharing – both tx and rx)?
      - combiners
      - diplexers
      - duplexers
      - multi-couplers
      - crossband couplers
      - multiband antennas
      - cross-polarised multiband antennas
      - multimode antennas

      (8) Can you please recommend some textbooks or papers for further details regarding antenna sharing (particularly block diagrams of the base station transmitter and receiver).

      (9) Is the current commercial circuitry of mobile receivers capable of separating the combined signal from the shared antenna?

      Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

      Frank

    • Blake Bowers
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
        Let me guess.. NIMBY?

        You don't want another cellular tower built, you want
        them to have to co-locate instead of building another
        tower?

        Not to mention that this does not come even close to
        being on topic?

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 2006
          Hi Bill,

          I replied to your email a while ago but just noticed that it was never posted on the message board nor is there a copy in my sent folder. An email with abbreviated information will do, thank you very much. Don't want to take up too much of your time.

          Have a great holiday.

          Frank

          cat637d <pcdata@...> wrote:
          Hello Frank;

          Your questions are pretty easily answered with a yes or no. I
          currently work in the cellular industry and have thirty years of
          experience in the RF communications field. The discussion of the
          specifics of the questions are significantly more complex. I would be
          happy to discuss all with you during a telephone conversation if that
          would be acceptable. If not I will try to explain via email but that
          will result in abbreviated information. I will post the affirmative or
          negative answers on the group if you like.

          Best regards.

          Bill Place

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Frank Manson