Those "Big" L1 Huts

  • taskforceleader
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
      Recently ran across what I have always thought were an L1 Equalizing
      hut. They are about 20 by 30 feet and corner of the building is
      actually a L1 hut built in the 20 by 30 building. I have three of
      these over the years. One was completely striped out. One had a set
      of cable frames in it and one had what looked like a rack for high
      pressure bottles in it. The mystery is, if it was built as part of
      the hardened L1 system, why wasn't it underground/hardened?
    • Blake Bowers
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
        Where are they located?
        > Recently ran across what I have always thought were an L1 Equalizing
        > hut. They are about 20 by 30 feet and corner of the building is
        > actually a L1 hut built in the 20 by 30 building. I have three of
        > these over the years. One was completely striped out. One had a set
        > of cable frames in it and one had what looked like a rack for high
        > pressure bottles in it. The mystery is, if it was built as part of
        > the hardened L1 system, why wasn't it underground/hardened?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mark Foster
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
          Chesterfield - Airmont Route

        • long-lines@att.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
            On 9 Nov 2006 at 1:22, taskforceleader wrote:
            > Recently ran across what I have always thought were an L1 Equalizing
            > hut. They are about 20 by 30 feet and corner of the building is
            > actually a L1 hut built in the 20 by 30 building. I have three of
            > these over the years. One was completely striped out. One had a set of
            > cable frames in it and one had what looked like a rack for high
            > pressure bottles in it. The mystery is, if it was built as part of the
            > hardened L1 system, why wasn't it underground/hardened?

            What suggests they were part of a hardened system? The earliest hardened L
            systems I am aware of were select L-3I routes and some around NORAD.

            c.
          • mf9992002
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
              The hut I found was set up for gas bottles too. Found an article in the
              Bell System Technical Record that mentions using L carrier for TV and
              radio signals. Perhaps this is a tie point to a non hardened cable?

              Morgan

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mark Foster <mcfoster@...> wrote:

              > Chesterfield - Airmont Route
              >
              > At 08:37 PM 11/8/2006, you wrote:
              >
              > >Where are they located?

            • Paul Zawada
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
                L1 was started in the early 1940s; hardening for nuclear attack wasn't
                even on the radar then. According to _Engineering_&_Science_, serious
                hardening didn't start until the early 1960s with L4, though I'm
                guessing hardening measures were taken for selected facilities before
                that time period.

                As for the bottles, could they have been for pressurization with nitrogen?

                --zawada

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006
                  Actually I misspoke, I should have called them L3I huts.

                • long-lines@att.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Last month, back on 13 Nov 2006 at 20:16, Mark Foster wrote:

                    > Actually I misspoke, I should have called them L3I huts.

                    Hardening in the L-3/L-3I routes is an interesting study. One can
                    often see through construction methods and renovations the desire
                    to get hardened but also practical realities of interfacing with and
                    being part of a system that was not (hardened). The result was
                    partially hardened installations with many shades of gray.

                    Are there photos of these in the photos section? I'd be interested in
                    seeing them.
                    c.

                    > At 09:37 AM 11/9/2006, long-lines@... wrote:
                    > >On 9 Nov 2006 at 1:22, taskforceleader wrote:
                    > > > Recently ran across what I have always thought were an L1
                    > > > Equalizing hut. They are about 20 by 30 feet and corner of the
                    > > > building is actually a L1 hut built in the 20 by 30 building. I
                    > > > have three of these over the years. One was completely striped
                    > > > out. One had a set of cable frames in it and one had what looked
                    > > > like a rack for high pressure bottles in it. The mystery is, if it
                    > > > was built as part of the hardened L1 system, why wasn't it
                    > > > underground/hardened?
                    > >
                    > >What suggests they were part of a hardened system? The earliest
                    > >hardened L systems I am aware of were select L-3I routes and some
                    > >around NORAD.
                    > >c.
                  • mf9992002
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 12, 2006
                      Any chance the larger buildings were built around the huts? Maybe they
                      wanted more room but didn't want to disrupt the existing equipment.

                      Morgan Ford