Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Boeing EC-135 Looking Glass aircraft

  • Michael Harpe
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
      If the knows that contractor from Los Alamos who lived in the trailer park with
      a junkie he should be able to get a complete set of prints along with documents
      on how to bypass the PAL altogether!

      I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of that incident on here.

      I think we should be discussing LANLs security!

      Mike Harpe

      --- David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

      > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
      > >

      > > Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very interesting. It
      > > forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
      > > understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
      > > curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives to the
      > > current PAL/EAS system?
    • Spencer
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Michael Harpe <mharpe79@...>
        wrote:

        > If the knows that contractor from Los Alamos who lived in the
        trailer park with
        > a junkie he should be able to get a complete set of prints along
        with documents
        > on how to bypass the PAL altogether!
        >
        > I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of that incident
        on here.

        > I think we should be discussing LANLs security!
        >
        > Mike Harpe
        >
        > --- David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
        > > >

        > > > Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very
        interesting. It
        > > > forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
        > > > understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
        > > > curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives
        to the
        > > > current PAL/EAS system?

        and I thought this was an information, facts, trivia, and topic site
        on communications, insted of a forum to promote wacked out, off
        topic, views, or debates.

        SILLY ME
      • superc
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
          I would disagree, or add the caveat, only as they applied to the Cold War. What
          happened or happens after 1992 or so is, in my opinion, beyond the intended ken of this
          Yahoo group. If I write of Golf class diesel subs and Soviet problems with commo and
          control of them, or even PAL A devices, that is a Cold War topic. I truly doubt that
          anyone here, even if they had some knowledge, would (or should) be willing to discuss
          current PALs or current control methodologies. When we write of DES cryptography we are
          in Cold War commo methods, when however we discuss triple DES, or modern encryption keys
          a decade beyond the capability of the 286 or the 486 that sat on our desks in that era,
          or commo in the upper double digit giga band we have left the arena of the Cold War and
          are now talking about things we should not talk about.

          > Agreed that posts should remain on the topics of the list, but I
          > understood this thread was about communications of aircraft,
          > their security and reliability, which, if I understand the field, are
          > the primary requirements of communications of whatever era
          > and field of interest.
          > snip
        • Michael Harpe
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
            Why shouldn't we talk about them?

            Mike
            >...we have left the arena of the
            > Cold War and
            > are now talking about things we should not talk about.
          • John Young
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
              Agreed that posts should remain on the topics of the list, but I
              understood this thread was about communications of aircraft,
              their security and reliability, which, if I understand the field, are
              the primary requirements of communications of whatever era
              and field of interest.

              Nuclear weapons came into the picture as a corollary of
              comm security and reliability in the face of increasingly sophisticated
              attacks as knowledge of codes, ciphers, implementations and weaknesses
              have become widespread with the rise of digital technology and the
              Internet. That is, as these technologies came of out the secure, secret
              realm, in large part due to the wind down of the Cold War and producers
              seeking new markets in the open realm not limited to governments,
              the capabilities of cracking and spying came to the market as well,
              some to be sure on the black market but treachery, betrayal and
              illegality were always a feature of secrecy-driven regimes, indeed
              were the primary means nations stole each other's secrets.

              Coldwarcomms is an intriguing topic for its contribution to the
              liberation of Cold War mentality -- paranoia, compulsive secrecy,
              shutting out the public from knowledge of what governments were
              doing -- and there have been here an impressive amount of
              disclosure of useful information of what worked and what was
              snake oil.

              9/11 slowed that, even reversed it as information was voluntarily
              withdrawn, in some cases by request of national security-related
              corporations who joined the reawakened opportunity to reinstitute
              Cold War games along with a host of practitioners brought back
              into government and business just when they believed the gravy
              was gone for good.

              Spying is up, way up inside the US, thanks to those who know
              what side the moldy bread gets the grease. Keep that a secret, they warn,
              or more often they just promote tin-foil-hat ridicule and allege off-topicness
              -- both hoary tradecraft for hiding what should not be.

              Whether nuclear weapons are secure is a long-lived aspect of
              coldwarcomms. Disinfo about the topic was a harem-scarem from
              Day One, presaging The Day After.
            • Denny B
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                Can you gents at least change the subject header so we
                can errr. manage our email better?

                --->