Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Boeing EC-135 Looking Glass aircraft

  • John Bass
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
      A lot more than ending statement ... if it's fair game, I'll surely be happy to debate, and rebuke, the politics he presents so strongly.

      John

      tsniffin20902 <TSniffin@...> wrote: Ok, While John's ending statement may have been off topic, the rest of
      his post was interesting and consistent with on-going discussion.
      However, your reply (below)was even further off topic. Let it go..

      Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very interesting. It
      forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
      understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
      curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives to the
      current PAL/EAS system?

      TS

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, John Bass <fpga_toys@...> wrote:

      "Anyone that considers major regional, or even global war, unlikely
      without nukes, needs seriously to consider the evil that lurks in the
      hearts of men and women thinking they are doing the right thing for
      religous, national, and cultural gain. Especially middle east clerics
      these days, using war to spread their faith, with little regard for
      other faiths.

      Until the UN can be replaced with a body that has a mandated charter
      for human rights, the only thing that stands in the way of major
      regional wars, are what is left of the cold war infrastructure."

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, John Bass <fpga_toys@...> wrote:

      > I think your intended debate of weapons policy and deployment is off
      topic for this group - something of an endless rathole. -- John

    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006

        > Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very interesting. It
        > forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
        > understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
        > curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives to the
        > current PAL/EAS system?

        FWIW:
        Steve promised me an update Real Soon Now on more PAL goodies.
        I'll let the list know when it is released.

      • Michael Harpe
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
          If the knows that contractor from Los Alamos who lived in the trailer park with
          a junkie he should be able to get a complete set of prints along with documents
          on how to bypass the PAL altogether!

          I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of that incident on here.

          I think we should be discussing LANLs security!

          Mike Harpe

          --- David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

          > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
          > >

          > > Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very interesting. It
          > > forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
          > > understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
          > > curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives to the
          > > current PAL/EAS system?
        • Spencer
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Michael Harpe <mharpe79@...>
            wrote:

            > If the knows that contractor from Los Alamos who lived in the
            trailer park with
            > a junkie he should be able to get a complete set of prints along
            with documents
            > on how to bypass the PAL altogether!
            >
            > I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of that incident
            on here.

            > I think we should be discussing LANLs security!
            >
            > Mike Harpe
            >
            > --- David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
            > > >

            > > > Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very
            interesting. It
            > > > forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
            > > > understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
            > > > curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives
            to the
            > > > current PAL/EAS system?

            and I thought this was an information, facts, trivia, and topic site
            on communications, insted of a forum to promote wacked out, off
            topic, views, or debates.

            SILLY ME
          • superc
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
              I would disagree, or add the caveat, only as they applied to the Cold War. What
              happened or happens after 1992 or so is, in my opinion, beyond the intended ken of this
              Yahoo group. If I write of Golf class diesel subs and Soviet problems with commo and
              control of them, or even PAL A devices, that is a Cold War topic. I truly doubt that
              anyone here, even if they had some knowledge, would (or should) be willing to discuss
              current PALs or current control methodologies. When we write of DES cryptography we are
              in Cold War commo methods, when however we discuss triple DES, or modern encryption keys
              a decade beyond the capability of the 286 or the 486 that sat on our desks in that era,
              or commo in the upper double digit giga band we have left the arena of the Cold War and
              are now talking about things we should not talk about.

              > Agreed that posts should remain on the topics of the list, but I
              > understood this thread was about communications of aircraft,
              > their security and reliability, which, if I understand the field, are
              > the primary requirements of communications of whatever era
              > and field of interest.
              > snip
            • Michael Harpe
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                Why shouldn't we talk about them?

                Mike
                >...we have left the arena of the
                > Cold War and
                > are now talking about things we should not talk about.
              • John Young
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                  Agreed that posts should remain on the topics of the list, but I
                  understood this thread was about communications of aircraft,
                  their security and reliability, which, if I understand the field, are
                  the primary requirements of communications of whatever era
                  and field of interest.

                  Nuclear weapons came into the picture as a corollary of
                  comm security and reliability in the face of increasingly sophisticated
                  attacks as knowledge of codes, ciphers, implementations and weaknesses
                  have become widespread with the rise of digital technology and the
                  Internet. That is, as these technologies came of out the secure, secret
                  realm, in large part due to the wind down of the Cold War and producers
                  seeking new markets in the open realm not limited to governments,
                  the capabilities of cracking and spying came to the market as well,
                  some to be sure on the black market but treachery, betrayal and
                  illegality were always a feature of secrecy-driven regimes, indeed
                  were the primary means nations stole each other's secrets.

                  Coldwarcomms is an intriguing topic for its contribution to the
                  liberation of Cold War mentality -- paranoia, compulsive secrecy,
                  shutting out the public from knowledge of what governments were
                  doing -- and there have been here an impressive amount of
                  disclosure of useful information of what worked and what was
                  snake oil.

                  9/11 slowed that, even reversed it as information was voluntarily
                  withdrawn, in some cases by request of national security-related
                  corporations who joined the reawakened opportunity to reinstitute
                  Cold War games along with a host of practitioners brought back
                  into government and business just when they believed the gravy
                  was gone for good.

                  Spying is up, way up inside the US, thanks to those who know
                  what side the moldy bread gets the grease. Keep that a secret, they warn,
                  or more often they just promote tin-foil-hat ridicule and allege off-topicness
                  -- both hoary tradecraft for hiding what should not be.

                  Whether nuclear weapons are secure is a long-lived aspect of
                  coldwarcomms. Disinfo about the topic was a harem-scarem from
                  Day One, presaging The Day After.
                • Denny B
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                    Can you gents at least change the subject header so we
                    can errr. manage our email better?

                    --->