Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Boeing EC-135 Looking Glass aircraft

  • John Bass
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 4, 2006
      Anyone that considers major regional, or even global war, unlikely without nukes, needs seriously to consider the evil that lurks in the hearts of men and women thinking they are doing the right thing for religous, national, and cultural gain. Especially middle east clerics these days, using war to spread their faith, with little regard for other faiths.

      Until the UN can be replaced with a body that has a mandated charter for human rights, the only thing that stands in the way of major regional wars, are what is left of the cold war infrastructure.

      John Young <jya@...> wrote:
      Today's picayune terrorists are small fry by comparison with
      the giants still robbing national treasuries while spreading fear
      as diversion. Perhaps some day fiction wil catch up to this
      banditry, but that will probably not be done by Tom Clancy and
      others making a bundle off perpetuating the need for heroic
      defenses against chimeras of national security threats, in
      secret and camouflaged by lots of smoke.

    • John Young
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 4, 2006
        This topic winds back to coldwarcomm in the matter of distributing
        access codes for arming nuclear weapons: revisions, updates, spoofs,
        and other customary means and methods of cloaking the most secure
        communications, a process never finished, never wholly trustworthy.

        Whatever NSA or the national labs cook up for this, in particular Sandia
        at Kirtland AFB, has to be implemented in the weapons storage and
        distribution systems. At one time Sandia handled most of this, and maybe
        still does. The nuclear weapons training school is there along with a
        host of operations connected to storage and handling the devices.
        That role goes back to the earliest day of the atomic era when the
        Air Force began to get the weapons into the supply stream after
        the Los Alamos folks turned over the results of their laboratory
        work to bomb manufacturers and thence to Kirtland for final arming and
        securing.

        The largest nuclear weapons storage area is still at Kirtland AFB,
        Kirtland Undergound Munitions Storage Complex, with Sandia nearby,
        and presumably Sandia monitors the condition of the weapons
        and assures that they are highly secure and ready for use, whether
        stored or poised for action in silos and on planes, ships and subs.

        To minimize the hazards always posed by the best of secure communications
        systems, the distribution pipe is shortened by rigging the weapons at one
        place and then ship them out to the "nuclear weapons storage areas
        (NWSAs)" worldwide. Kirtland rigs and ships for the Air Force; for the
        Navy it is done at the nuclear submarine naval bases at Bangor and
        Kings Bay. These are guesses based on the multi-volume "Nuclear
        Weapons Databook."

        Even so, once the weapons are rigged and sent into the field there are
        presumably requirements to assure protection of access codes subject to
        cracking or betrayal or, as noted here, insanity and vainglory, and this
        presumably involves transmission over communications systems. Remote
        control of access codes is an intriguing methodology, whether by algorithm
        or classified means. Dud weapons also pose a threat as real to the public
        as the real thing.

        A scientist, William Payne, who worked at Sandia on crypto, inventing devices
        for uses that are classified but could fit nicely in a nuke, got into a fight
        with
        the administration, was canned, and then sued the lab. NSA got into the fight
        because he worked with an NSA team on the crypto gadgets, and NSA
        refused him access to his own work during the suit. A lot of info was
        presented

        to the judge by NSA in camera and the judge refused to make it public. Payne
        eventually sued the judge as well as Sandia, and the suit is continuing.

        A long story to call attention to one example of a crypto wizard who probably
        could crack PALs, having probably helped build them, if he got angry enough.
        He claims to have been approached by foreign elements who got wind of his
        fight with Sandia, and offers were made. Payne says he rebuffed them, not
        for him to do to the US what it was doing to him. For now.

        Payne's web site with gobs of documents of the years-long information
        security tussle (the latest dated yesterday):

        <http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bpayne37/index.htm>http://mywebpages.comcast
        .net/bpayne37/index.htm

        At 06:48 PM 11/4/2006 +0000, you wrote:

        > Thank you for that. Interesting to see Bellovin claims the Soviets
        > were not offered PAL technology until 71, while the author of Red Star
        > Rogue claims the technology transfer occurred about half a decade earlier.
        >
        > All in all I sleep safer (not!) knowing the devices are now protected
        > by a computerized circuit that is at least as safe and reliable as the
        > sensors and computer chip in my 90s vintage (an yes, it is fairly well
        > maintained) Jeep.
        >
        > If you have ever noticed your car alarm is going off as you drive down
        > the highway, or had a brake or an oxygen sensor go bad and report a
        > problem where non exists, you will understand my concern.
        >
        > Lacking a status board, I would assume the vast majority of PAL
        > malfunctions would go largely unnoticed unless an attempt was being
        > made to fire the weapon, as most would simply dud the unused warhead.
        > This realitization naturally raises questions as to how many deployed
        > warheads are actually functional and how many experience sensor
        > failure issues which no one notices.
        >
        > MTBF, Chaos Theory and Murphy's Law come to mind. I am not sure which
        > scenario is worse. Do you want a non-PAL protected device in the
        > hands of someone who may react in a negative way to a personal crisis?
        > Anyone who knew someone who decided one day to kill themself, but who
        > also gave little external advance notice of rising internal stress
        > levels, should understand the flaw in that scenario. That, and weapon
        > security issues, argue strongly for PAL devices, but the increasing of
        > complexity of such devices creates new reliability problems and
        > concerns.
        >
        > --- In <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com,
        > David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >snip
        > > >
        > > > Steve Bellovin's orginal URL for the PAL crypto study appears dead.
        > > snip
        > > Try:
        > >

        > <http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/nsam-160/pal.html>http://www.cs.columbia
        > edu/~smb/nsam-160/pal.html
        > >

        > > snip

      • John Bass
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 4, 2006
          I think your intended debate of weapons policy and deployment is off topic for this group - something of an endless rathole. -- John

          John Young <jya@...> wrote: This topic winds back to coldwarcomm in the matter of distributing
          access codes for arming nuclear weapons: revisions, updates, spoofs,
          and other customary means and methods of cloaking the most secure
          communications, a process never finished, never wholly trustworthy.

        • tsniffin20902
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
            Ok, While John's ending statement may have been off topic, the rest of
            his post was interesting and consistent with on-going discussion.
            However, your reply (below)was even further off topic. Let it go..

            Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very interesting. It
            forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
            understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
            curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives to the
            current PAL/EAS system?

            TS

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
              A lot more than ending statement ... if it's fair game, I'll surely be happy to debate, and rebuke, the politics he presents so strongly.

              John

              tsniffin20902 <TSniffin@...> wrote: Ok, While John's ending statement may have been off topic, the rest of
              his post was interesting and consistent with on-going discussion.
              However, your reply (below)was even further off topic. Let it go..

              Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very interesting. It
              forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
              understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
              curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives to the
              current PAL/EAS system?

              TS

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, John Bass <fpga_toys@...> wrote:

              "Anyone that considers major regional, or even global war, unlikely
              without nukes, needs seriously to consider the evil that lurks in the
              hearts of men and women thinking they are doing the right thing for
              religous, national, and cultural gain. Especially middle east clerics
              these days, using war to spread their faith, with little regard for
              other faiths.

              Until the UN can be replaced with a body that has a mandated charter
              for human rights, the only thing that stands in the way of major
              regional wars, are what is left of the cold war infrastructure."

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, John Bass <fpga_toys@...> wrote:

              > I think your intended debate of weapons policy and deployment is off
              topic for this group - something of an endless rathole. -- John

            • David Lesher
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006

                > Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very interesting. It
                > forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
                > understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
                > curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives to the
                > current PAL/EAS system?

                FWIW:
                Steve promised me an update Real Soon Now on more PAL goodies.
                I'll let the list know when it is released.

              • Michael Harpe
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                  If the knows that contractor from Los Alamos who lived in the trailer park with
                  a junkie he should be able to get a complete set of prints along with documents
                  on how to bypass the PAL altogether!

                  I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of that incident on here.

                  I think we should be discussing LANLs security!

                  Mike Harpe

                  --- David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                  > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                  > >

                  > > Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very interesting. It
                  > > forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
                  > > understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
                  > > curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives to the
                  > > current PAL/EAS system?
                • Spencer
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Michael Harpe <mharpe79@...>
                    wrote:

                    > If the knows that contractor from Los Alamos who lived in the
                    trailer park with
                    > a junkie he should be able to get a complete set of prints along
                    with documents
                    > on how to bypass the PAL altogether!
                    >
                    > I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of that incident
                    on here.

                    > I think we should be discussing LANLs security!
                    >
                    > Mike Harpe
                    >
                    > --- David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                    > > >

                    > > > Reading through Bellovin's research on PALs was very
                    interesting. It
                    > > > forced me to go back through nuc command can control links to
                    > > > understand the process. Political and social issues aside, I'm
                    > > > curious to hear what others on the list view as alternatives
                    to the
                    > > > current PAL/EAS system?

                    and I thought this was an information, facts, trivia, and topic site
                    on communications, insted of a forum to promote wacked out, off
                    topic, views, or debates.

                    SILLY ME
                  • superc
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                      I would disagree, or add the caveat, only as they applied to the Cold War. What
                      happened or happens after 1992 or so is, in my opinion, beyond the intended ken of this
                      Yahoo group. If I write of Golf class diesel subs and Soviet problems with commo and
                      control of them, or even PAL A devices, that is a Cold War topic. I truly doubt that
                      anyone here, even if they had some knowledge, would (or should) be willing to discuss
                      current PALs or current control methodologies. When we write of DES cryptography we are
                      in Cold War commo methods, when however we discuss triple DES, or modern encryption keys
                      a decade beyond the capability of the 286 or the 486 that sat on our desks in that era,
                      or commo in the upper double digit giga band we have left the arena of the Cold War and
                      are now talking about things we should not talk about.

                      > Agreed that posts should remain on the topics of the list, but I
                      > understood this thread was about communications of aircraft,
                      > their security and reliability, which, if I understand the field, are
                      > the primary requirements of communications of whatever era
                      > and field of interest.
                      > snip
                    • Michael Harpe
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                        Why shouldn't we talk about them?

                        Mike
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                          Agreed that posts should remain on the topics of the list, but I
                          understood this thread was about communications of aircraft,
                          their security and reliability, which, if I understand the field, are
                          the primary requirements of communications of whatever era
                          and field of interest.

                          Nuclear weapons came into the picture as a corollary of
                          comm security and reliability in the face of increasingly sophisticated
                          attacks as knowledge of codes, ciphers, implementations and weaknesses
                          have become widespread with the rise of digital technology and the
                          Internet. That is, as these technologies came of out the secure, secret
                          realm, in large part due to the wind down of the Cold War and producers
                          seeking new markets in the open realm not limited to governments,
                          the capabilities of cracking and spying came to the market as well,
                          some to be sure on the black market but treachery, betrayal and
                          illegality were always a feature of secrecy-driven regimes, indeed
                          were the primary means nations stole each other's secrets.

                          Coldwarcomms is an intriguing topic for its contribution to the
                          liberation of Cold War mentality -- paranoia, compulsive secrecy,
                          shutting out the public from knowledge of what governments were
                          doing -- and there have been here an impressive amount of
                          disclosure of useful information of what worked and what was
                          snake oil.

                          9/11 slowed that, even reversed it as information was voluntarily
                          withdrawn, in some cases by request of national security-related
                          corporations who joined the reawakened opportunity to reinstitute
                          Cold War games along with a host of practitioners brought back
                          into government and business just when they believed the gravy
                          was gone for good.

                          Spying is up, way up inside the US, thanks to those who know
                          what side the moldy bread gets the grease. Keep that a secret, they warn,
                          or more often they just promote tin-foil-hat ridicule and allege off-topicness
                          -- both hoary tradecraft for hiding what should not be.

                          Whether nuclear weapons are secure is a long-lived aspect of
                          coldwarcomms. Disinfo about the topic was a harem-scarem from
                          Day One, presaging The Day After.
                        • Denny B
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                            Can you gents at least change the subject header so we
                            can errr. manage our email better?

                            --->