Book - "Eye in the Sky"

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2000
      Ran across the book "Eye in the Sky - The Story of the CORONA Spy Satellites"

      While the book only covers the KH-1 through the KH-4 it is very well documented
      and contains some excellent photos and diagrams. I was surprised to learn
      that
      CORONA was a temporary program to provide imaging until the SAMOS program
      came on line. SAMOS was supposed to have a geostationary satellite with
      a TV camera that could provide AF Commanders with realtime imaging of the
      Soviet Union. I believe New Boston AF Station in New Hampshire was one of
      the down link stations for this system.

      The SAMOS system was full of problems and CORONA became the system
      of choice. It was also interesting to note that the trail of the film was
      well documented
      in the book from the ocean to Hawaii but the fact that the film was
      developed at
      Westover AFB was not mentioned (almost purposely). It was only described as
      "an east coast processing center". I have visited the processing facility
      at Westover
      and personnel at the base openly discuss the facilities previous role. The
      building
      was abandoned and scheduled for demolition but was remodeled into a warehouse.

      I believe all of the CORONA film has now been declassified.

      I would recommend the book for anyone interested in this subject.