Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: waveguide thefts at Utah towers

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
      Giggle good God I am glad I left West Virginia. Although I heard the
      Eastern Panhandle is becoming quite the place. I know one can get a
      train right out of DC to Harper's Ferry and have a 2 hour one way
      commute. Still its better than the Northern Panhadle which has not
      figured out what to replace to the now dead stell industry with. I do
      know that some in West Virginia engaged in all sorts of questiona
      activities. My aunts although more honest tore apart old electical
      equipment to get the copper out to srll at ther scrap yard. I liked to
      get old coild and high voltage caps that one can't find anymore or one
      has to pay a fortune for.

      Have Fun,
      Sends Steve

    • james kester
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
        i find it interesting that someone would go to the trouble of
        actually "stealing" copper. there is a limited fence of precious metals.
        and, they have a specific isotopic signature. i always wondered about this
        practice since t had begun offering their abandoned sites out.
        i mean the stuff was just hangin there. here in pa (land of taxes), not only was the stuff just hanging there, the (alleged) ladder motion alarms were the only thing still watchin it. the best part was, the list of suspects was probably limited to
        previous tower climber employees buying new cadillacs or suv's. or those out
        of doggone work mountain climbers and extreme enthusiasts.

        bad guys must be under the impression that the feds have their hands
        full chasing talibanny dudes, and attending all of the dhs love-ins being
        offered. you know, traveling around the world to various conferences at
        salt lake, las vegas, the hague, paris, instanbul, epcot center, and
        san franscisco...... to name a few....

        but, we're winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        anyhoo..... like any other popular commodity, i'm quite certain the gao
        will get around to researching and writing a report about the Hunt Brothers of
        long ago who cornered the world silver market. and the possiblilty of it
        happening to the copper/gold market in african/asian telecommunications systems. oops.................... er i mean rice a roni.....

        Atomic number - 29

        Density g/mL 8 .96 Atomic weight u 63 .546
        Melting point K 1357 .6 Bonding radius A 1 .17
        Boiling point K 2836
        Atomic radius A 1 .57
        Heat of vaporization kJ/mol 300 .3 Ionization Potential V 7 .726
        Heat of fusion kJ/mol 13 .05 Electronegativity - 1 .9
        Specific heat J/gK 0 .38 The oxide is mildly basic.
        Crystal are face centered cubic.
        Electron config. : [Ar] 3d10 4s