Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Neighborhood warning rockets!

  • blitz
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
      Especially if you were across the St from a rocket launcher or air
      raid siren and on the same side of the low leg of the power feed. Our
      sirens (*we didnt have rockets) were set off via a telco line, a DC
      pair. Just closed a relay. Some times the relay would get stuck,
      (from bird poop or whatever was in there) and the CD director had to
      drive out and thump the little green wooden box with a baseball bat.
      In the mean time, the siren just howled....and people would call in
      and complain....etc.

      At 20:00 10/2/2006, you wrote:
      >I was wondering - how long would it have taken "hackers" of the era
      >(whatever they would have been called back then) to spoof the NEARS
      >triggering signal and set off those warning rockets for amusement?
      >
      >By way of background: The National Emergency Alarm Repeater was a
      >proposed warning system which would transmit a signal through power-
      >distribution lines to activate simple, low-cost alarm receivers in
      >homes and other occupied buildings. The NEAR signal was merely
      >unmodulated audio-frequency power (around 280 HZ, I think) coupled into
      >the primary side of the distribution network, so it would seem fairly
      >easy for a mischief-maker to backfeed such a signal through his home
      >wiring.
      >
      >Albert
      >
      >--- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <lafrance@...>
      >wrote:
      > >
      > > Don't take my word for it - check out this fantastic proposal from
      >the 1960s:
      > > http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?
      >&verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=AD0634925
      > > http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?
      >&verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=AD0403367
      > >
      > > I'd love to see a large-scale test of this one!
      > >
      > > Albert
      > >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • blitz
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
        We had a guy in Ohio that ran a KW of AM on 20 meters who used to get
        into our microwave order wire. Once I got his callsign, I called him,
        and he knew exactly what was wrong, and what was left out etc. (our
        fault) obviously he had been down the road and was clobbering our
        inside wiring.
        I called our tech down there, told him to go talk to the guy, and it
        was fixed in about an hour..put the filter back in, and the 20 meter
        signal went bye bye.

        At 20:20 10/2/2006, you wrote:
        >Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
        > >
        > > I was wondering - how long would it have taken "hackers" of the era
        > > (whatever they would have been called back then) to spoof the NEARS
        > > triggering signal and set off those warning rockets for amusement?
        >
        >Who needs deliberate?
        >
        >I had heard stories that K8MMM, who ran a full 1000 watts on
        >6 Meter [50 Mhz] AM was near a Nike launch site....
        >
        >And every time he went on the air, Things Happened at the site.
        >RFI was a real problem in the early transistor era.
        >

        >--
        >A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
        >& no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
        >Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
        >is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

      • Spencer
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
          -Ooh! Ahh! - Pretty!