Re: [coldwarcomms] Confused

  • John Thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
      surveillance logs??? Darn men in black.. Logging what we do.

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
        what rights do we sign away for the privilege of using yahoos
        messagegroups? I know one can opt out o their beacons per each
        browser. I gu8ess they might bwe trying to find what is most popular
        but it is always a pain when one does these machine switcheroos and they
        are the bane of system administration. Oh how I hated that.

        Have Fun,
        Sends Steve

        blitz wrote:

        > Yahoo's been flaky this weekend, Im only now seeing Friday's posts,
        > Its the end of a quarter, and they're collecting surveillance logs,
        > multiple machines were swapped in and out, and dupes abound.
        > Another typical day in the world of Yasploo...
        >
        > At 00:31 10/1/2006, you wrote:
        > >Is anyone else haveing a posting issue?
        > >

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • blitz
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
          Well, dont expect any privacy, and selling your email address to
          spammers is always in fashion. Ive got a control email on one list,
          and find it spammed as well, even though nothing's ever been sent to
          the group from it, telling me its got to be them giving the address out.
          I moved some my groups to googlegroups because of harassment, and now
          we are even using PGP on some exclusively. (Keys are sent directly
          to/from users beforehand, and off list)
          The real solution, is to go back to discrete majordomo groups on
          private servers, and encrypt them, time consuming yes, but that's the ticket.

          At 20:24 10/1/2006, you wrote:
          >what rights do we sign away for the privilege of using yahoos
          >messagegroups? I know one can opt out o their beacons per each
          >browser. I gu8ess they might bwe trying to find what is most popular
          >but it is always a pain when one does these machine switcheroos and they
          >are the bane of system administration. Oh how I hated that.
          >
          >Have Fun,
          >Sends Steve
          >

          >blitz wrote:
          >
          > > Yahoo's been flaky this weekend, Im only now seeing Friday's posts,
          > > Its the end of a quarter, and they're collecting surveillance logs,
          > > multiple machines were swapped in and out, and dupes abound.
          > > Another typical day in the world of Yasploo...
          > >
          > > At 00:31 10/1/2006, you wrote:
          > > >Is anyone else haveing a posting issue?
          > > >

          > > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michael Harpe
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
            This is a free service guys. It's the soup kitchen business model. You take
            what you're given and you will like it!

            Mike Harpe
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
              The email address that I have been using to receive Yahoo Group
              messages (and very little else) for seventeen months has never received
              a single spam.

              Frank

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@...> wrote:

              > Well, dont expect any privacy, and selling your email address to
              > spammers is always in fashion. Ive got a control email on one list,
              > and find it spammed as well, even though nothing's ever been sent to
              > the group from it, telling me its got to be them giving the address
              out.
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                If yoiur mind is fogged by hyper-capitalism which is kind of wrecking
                the planet. . It is clear that yahoo does this because they get things
                out of it. They have created a social contract and there are obligations
                in both directions if push were ever come to shove legally. That's why
                all the agreements try to get one to sign away everything.

                Have Fun,
                Sends Steve

                Michael Harpe wrote:

                > This is a free service guys. It's the soup kitchen business model. You
                > take
                > what you're given and you will like it!
                >
                > Mike Harpe

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                  Well Sentinare which is run by a friend into some of the same civil
                  rightse stuff as I am, provides my service gratis pretty much in
                  recognition of all the stuff I and others do free. SO they have a
                  filter system which is prettyh configurable. My open account on deeptht
                  which has no protection gets a lot of SPAM. I should send it through a
                  PROC* type filter or something but right now I am too busy with things
                  to muck around writing scripts and doing lots of *nix hackery (in the
                  old MIT PDP-10 days sense) although I would like to do so.

                  I am moving back to the Watsonville area. Although I will be across the
                  Pajaro River in Monterey County which makes everything a little weird.
                  My address still says Watsonville and in fact the Post Office is right
                  across the river in another county. Oh well I heard that the copunty
                  boundaries in California were worked out in a legislative session way
                  back when most everyone was drunk. Although a natural boundary is
                  reasonable. It should be South of the Union Pacific Railroad tracks
                  because thart would put Watsonville Junction and Watsonville in the same
                  county. Hoping we will eventually get a train station and service there
                  at some point in the future what with all the Global Warming and Post
                  Carbon noises, some of the latter is hopeful thinking that higher oil
                  prices will make people finally see the light on resource conservation.

                  Have Fun,
                  Sends Steve