Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Jerhico set piece

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2006
      In this program who sets off the EMP? EMP was widely used as device to
      hang stories on in TVland. I remember there was that program Amerika
      backin the 1980s when everyone in theSoviet Union knew it was on its
      last legs but people still worried, which is probably a reasoable thing.
      Especially since it took about 3 years for the people in the Soviet
      Union to realize it was going to really change or collapse or something.
      But a popular singer in Eastern Europe sang "The Atomic War will nevr
      happen." and she was right then let's hope she stays right.

      I guess if one wanted maximum paranoid fun one couild have a latter day
      neo Bin Laden who got ahold of the right technology. I say this as half
      joke because back in the early 1990s out here on the West Coast we had
      those triggert effect power failures that brought down a lot of oujr
      poor systems. I was in Palo Alto and many stoes just closed. However the
      twop businesses run by Middle Easterners both restuarants with gas
      stoves went on happy cranking out pizza and food to a booming business.
      They were used to disruption from where they came from and happily went
      back to pen and paper and candle light. I had a lot of fun eating pizza
      and chatting with them.

      Hmmmm well I am not much of a TV watcher but this all sounds
      interesting. I remember various wild times on the ARPANET and the
      INTERNET before it was widely public and it did split into several
      pieces for awhile after some failtures. So all of this is interesting
      and bears looking into and not dismissing out of hand.

      Have Fun,
      Sends Steve

      rwfisheriv wrote:

      > The ECM on autos would probably be toast, especially if one of the
      > incoming warheads was configured to detonate for maximum EMP effect...
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EMP_mechanism.GIF
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EMP_mechanism.GIF>
      >
      > There's a wonderful chapter on hardening in ABM Research and
      > Development at Bell Laboratories, Project History, October 1975.
      > Great reading...

    • Chris Ness
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
        On Sunday 01 October 2006 02:47 am, Steve wrote:

        > Hmmmm well I am not much of a TV watcher but this all sounds
        > interesting. I remember various wild times on the ARPANET and the
        > INTERNET before it was widely public and it did split into several
        > pieces for awhile after some failtures. So all of this is interesting
        > and bears looking into and not dismissing out of hand.

        You know, there really was something to said for uucp. As long as you had some
        kind of connection - even ham radio. Maybe that why I have kept two TNCs all
        these years.

        --
        mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
        the person not doing the work.
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
          It did work pretty good. The parts were able to work nicely until it all
          got put back togetther. Oddly it was Fidonet where sort of weirtd
          personal politics got into things and caused major commotion at one
          point. Oh there were things to be said for uccp and bang paths.

          Have Fun,
          Sends Steve

          Chris Ness wrote:

          > On Sunday 01 October 2006 02:47 am, Steve wrote:
          >
          > > Hmmmm well I am not much of a TV watcher but this all sounds
          > > interesting. I remember various wild times on the ARPANET and the
          > > INTERNET before it was widely public and it did split into several
          > > pieces for awhile after some failtures. So all of this is interesting
          > > and bears looking into and not dismissing out of hand.
          >
          > You know, there really was something to said for uucp. As long as you
          > had some
          > kind of connection - even ham radio. Maybe that why I have kept two
          > TNCs all
          > these years.
          >
          > --
          > mailto:mness215@... <mailto:mness215%40comcast.net> All jobs
          > are equally easy to
          > the person not doing the work.
          > Holt's Law

        • blitz
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
            Ahh remember Fidonet well...hooked many a bbs to it..I think at one
            time I had 19 feeds, and about 50 people calling in to get it for their bbs's.