Re: [coldwarcomms] Greenbrier bunker (was Re: AT&T DC-area m/w licenses)

  • Daryl Gibson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 12, 2000
      Oh, I wasn't really serious...about either the Greenbriar or
      DisneyWorld.
      But personally, I would think that an underground garbage chute close to
      Fantasyland would be a fitting place to house Congress.

      However, DisneyWorld *does* fit what I would think would be some of the
      major
      requirements to such a complex:

      1. Unlikely to be a major target (although it might be
      near major targets)
      2. Always under construction, so new construction would
      be easily hidden
      3. Near a major airport
      4. East Coast location
      5. Food service

      Obviously, there are a number of world class hotels that would
      fit this set of requirements.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 12, 2000
        The text of the Washington Post article which revealed the bunker is at:

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/july/25/brier1.htm

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2000
          >>But there are *also* two modern-looking, enclosed equipment racks
          adjacent
          >>to the old ones. I noticed an orange-jacketed cable coming out of one.
          Of
          >>course, since the bunker was closed fairly recently, I'd expect to find
          >>some modern equipment along with the old stuff.

          >Orange cable, espically 2" diameter light weight corrigated tubing (inner
          >duct) is typically fiber optics.

          I've posted a picture of the AT&T room, showing the two modern racks (the
          short cabinets with the blue AT&T "deathstar" logo, at the right-hand end
          of the row of tall racks in the center) and the orange cable, at:

          http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/greenbrier/000625a-11.jpg

          Albert
        • Mark Foster
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 13, 2000
            At 01:36 AM 7/13/2000 -0400, you wrote:

            >I've posted a picture of the AT&T room, showing the two modern racks (the
            >short cabinets with the blue AT&T "deathstar" logo, at the right-hand end
            >of the row of tall racks in the center) and the orange cable, at:
            >
            >http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/greenbrier/000625a-11.jpg
            >
            >Albert

            Was struck by how similar the test board at "The Notch" was to
            the one at Greenbrier. See: http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/PACCS.htm
          • Joel Edwards
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 25, 2001
              --- In coldwarcomms@y..., Daryl Gibson <drgibson@d...> wrote:

              > 1. Unlikely to be a major target (although it might be
              > near major targets)

              McDill AFB to the West (US Special Operations Command home) and the
              now defunct McCoy AFB that housed SAC bombers to the East. I'd hate
              to be in Orlando or WDW if it came to it.

              Joel